xisto Community
sinistershadow

Whats A High Quality Gaming PC Specs Looking at getting new Gaming PC

Hey guys new to Xisto.com had a break in not too long ago and lloking at getting new pc currently running old AMD-K6 350MHZ 128Mg ram lol.previous gaming computer got stolen. Looking at buying a new gaming system but not fluent with system specs and hardware items price not an issue as insurance is covering can anyone help me out.Sinister Shadow

I'm using a p4 2.6, 512 ram, 80 gb hard drive, FX 5700 videocard. It's about 2 years old but runs the games of today fairly well. I bought this computer for about 800$ then, so it can be very cheap now. If you want a great system for a decent price, check out http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ can customize what you want, the way it looks, what hardware / software is in it and everything. Best part is they deliver it right to your door. Just talk to someone that knows computers well before you add parts, just in case they arn't compatible. Hope it helps, later bro, good luck.

CPU: Athlon F57 (or a 3700+, or maybe a Dual Core 4800+).Memory: Gskill 1Gb Low Latency TCCD (2-2-2-5 timing at 200Mhz)HDD: 2 Raptor in RAID for programs and 160Gb SATA hdd for data/back-upVidCard: 2 GeForce 7800GTX in SLIWatercool is to keep it silent.That's high quality, but high priced to, expect something like $2000-3000

my design for a *almost* perfect gaming machineAthlon 64 X2 4800+Asus A8N-SLI Premium MotherboardAsus Extreme N7800 GTX-2DHTV in SLI Mode Graphics CardAt least 2Gb DDR400 from KingstonWestern Digital Raptor 74Gb/10k RPM Primary DiskHitachi Deskstar 7K500 500Gb Secondary Disk (never runs out of space)(more disks could be in but i would stick to aditional 7K500 HHDs... no more trouble with space)DVD-R and DVD-ROM Drives from LGThermaltake Armour Black Casing with BigWater SE water cooling systemTurbo-Cool® 850 SSI 850W PSUCreative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty™ FPS Sound CardCreative GigaWorks™ S750 Speaker SystemProbably LG M1940A 17" LCD MonitorYe... That would be a heck of a machine ;)

Reasons the posts above are not really good.... their to expensive.I use this2.0 Ghz Celeron256 Fx5500 Pci Card768 Ram60 Gig hard Drive17" LCD monitorLike its cheap and you can play games, for under 500 bucks its a dream machine for people who want to play games, but cant really afford it. If your in canada here are a few good places http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (BC)If your in america here are a few good places http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Sinistershadow's saying money's not an issue since the insurance co will pay for it ... so go for broke! I agree with the above, only things I'd add would be ..MB: a decent NF board that supports overclocking (adjustable multipliers, memory frequencies & timings, etc independent of the PCI bus frequencies ;-)) if you go the FX route! Ideally two PEGx16 slots.CPU: Athlon FX's are the best gaming CPUs since they are the highest clocked (get the highest available .. FX57), have large caches and are multiplier unlocked (for overclocking). X2's if gaming is not the most important thing to you, if running something complex in the background is something you think you'd like to do often & if software MPEG transcoding is important to you .. but with recent GPUs helping out that's less of an issue.RAM: 2GB of CAS2 DDR500 (now supported by some AMD chips)!GPU: two (SLI) GF 7800 UltraHDD: bunch of SCSI Seagate drives RAID'd....

or simply ... sadly ... dump ur pc .. buy a good notebook and save for an xbox360 ... since all stupid companies are rushing next generation games on consoles ... many of them won't see daylight on pc ..gears of war ... burnout ... fifa 06 : road to world cup ... etc etc

I'd take skorv setup (if I'd had te money :mellow: ) and change the swap the mobo with a DFI NF4-SLI mobo, 2Gb of TCCD memory (GSkill), 2 Raptors in RAID0 for apps and games and 2 200Gb HDD in RAID1 for data.Then I'd take a 3stage DD cooler for the CPU and chilled watercooling for the GPU's and NB and OC the hell out of the machine.Damn, that would be sooo sweet :blink:

I haven't had experience with these but Dell's XPS systems are supposed to be good.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Configure one with the top specs, if the price is too much start tuning it down.

Make sure you tune video card, Memory and processor last as those are what you need a majority of when gaming.

1064320625[/snapback]

I'd suggest staying away from any major PC distributor, actually. Especially if the insurance is covering a new system. I dunno if they'll really pay for anything, but I'd suggest checking out a smaller PC Build/Repair shop near you. Why? Well at least at the PC shop I work at we put a lot of emphasis on taking good care of our customers. Little business can't really afford a bad reputation, or even a minorly bad one. You'll probably get better service at a lower cost, too. Once again, the little businesses can't afford to just ignore their customers like the bigger ones.

Also, whatever you do stay away from the big "brand name" manufacturers. HP, Dell, Vaio, etc. From a repairmen's standpoint they are not fun to repair. These manufacturers set their computers up (obviously) to work best with the hardware they put inside, and often times it seems only with that hardware. If you're going to be upgrading and such it's a pain in the butt, majorly.

Another thing you ought to pay attention to is cooling. The side fan and processor fan will not be enough. The new IBM Fans are crap, to be honest. A step backwards. The last few PCs I've done with them have had major cooling issues. The processor runs pretty hot and the fan doesn't do enough to help it.

Err, what else .. you'll probably want a dual core processor, those are pretty sweet. Also, I think someone said double HDs configured with RAID. I suppose it depends on how much hardcore gaming you do. Harddrives are relatively cheap, so you may wanna consider it if you've got the money.

I'm not very up to date on Graphics Card so I can't help you there. Uhh, so yeah. Basically the most important thing of all I said is that you should really consider having a small business build it for you, or maybe build it yourself. Once you've got the parts putting them together is like a really easy puzzle. Heck, they even give you an instruction book with the answer to how the pieces fit. :mellow:

To me, PC systems are getting expensive to upgrade and maintain for gaming. Personally I went to a Mac for home computing and a PS2 mini for playing games. Systems today are running into performance problems due to heat. The people I know that have purchased or built machines in the last two years have all been having similar problems. Between the processors, GPU's, Ram, and other cards in smaller and smaller cases, heat is the greatest problem. One of my friends that actually does work for a game studio say's they are buying Falcon northwest machines for high end testing. However, the down side is that they are rather expensive.

OMG HAHAHAHHA. At http://www.voodoopc.com/ check out the "Digital Creation" under the desktop "Omen" HAHHA. You can configure that thing up to $35,000 ahahhahah. You can get dual dual core processors hahahahaa. Dual video cards and quad 15,000 rpm hard drives ahahhaah. They even have a 46 inch 8ms gaming LCD hahaha. There is even an option for a $510 paint job ahahhaha. So uncalled for... Check it out lol.

or maybe a Dual Core 4800+).

no no no.

Dual core's are a waste of money for gaming.

The fast majority of games are programmed single threaded.

so one of your cores would be running 100%, and the other core would be idle.

To me, PC systems are getting expensive to upgrade and maintain for gaming.  Personally I went to a Mac for home computing and a PS2 mini for playing games. 

Systems today are running into performance problems due to heat.  The people I know that have purchased or built machines in the last two years have all been having similar problems.  Between the processors, GPU's, Ram, and other cards in smaller and smaller cases, heat is the greatest problem. 

One of my friends that actually does work for a game studio say's they are buying Falcon northwest machines for high end testing.  However, the down side is that they are rather expensive.

1064325586[/snapback]

To me PC's are getting much cheaper than they used to be since they've become popular with the masses a decade ago. It used to cost 10k just to get a crap PC that'd only be useful for work (about 20 years ago), then that dropped to about 3k for a machine that could play games but not as well as dedicated consoles (15 years ago), to machines that cost 2k but played games well thanks to 3dfx (about 10 years ago) .. nowadays you CAN pick up a gaming machine for 500GBP if you make many compromises & don't go for the high-end all the time.

As for Macs, yes I must admit I do love OSX, I think it's the best of the current-gen desktop OSs no doubt about it :-). But I've got a lot of x86 apps that I need to run, so for me I'm waiting for the x86 versions .. hopefully they'll be as good as their recent Macs (high-end & not that much more expensive to PCs).

But I'm not really into console games (beat-em-ups, non-FPS shoot-em-ups, platformers etc). I prefer flight sims & FPSs & adventures, and PCs are better for these genres at the moment. There's no technical reason why consoles couldn't run these types of games (xbox1 was basically a PC!), but they don't aim at these genres, and even on PCs flight/adv/etc are dying breeds, since most people don't like them :-(. I have absolutely nothing against consoles per se, but the next-gen consoles don't look that appealing to me compared to an easily upgradeable PC with a fast CPU/GPU/PPU. There's no way PCs can compete with consoles in hardware costs, since MS/Sony discount the hardware (MS lost billions on XB1) and make up the cash on selling a licence per game sold etc. But if you wait a year or so after the next-gen systems launch you could get a better specd PC at a bit more cost that will play games aimed at those consoles for a few years! But for me, a console just doesn't replace my PC gaming needs .. I wish it did, but I doubt it ever will!

I don't think there's any need to spend huge amounts of money just to play games on PCs unless you want to continuously stay on the cutting edge for some reason, and maybe that'd only be necessary if you were competing in tournaments professionally/commercially or something like that, if you know what I mean.

I can understand why your friend's game dev co wants a cutting edge machine at the time of game release so they can make sure that's where they aim their top specs at (it's a bit pointless trying to sell a game no one can play yet, and that by the time they can it'd have been superceded ;-)). But they are doing it to make money, not for playing games per se. Personally, I'd only spend a lot of money on a PC IFF there was a financial payback from it (either now or in the near future), but that's just me .. I'd feel too guilty trying to justify a high-price just for gaming, unless an insurance company was paying for it for me of course ;-).

OMG HAHAHAHHA.  At https://www.voodoopc.com/ check out the "Digital Creation" under the desktop "Omen" HAHHA.  You can configure that thing up to $35,000 ahahhahah.  You can get dual dual core processors hahahahaa.  Dual video cards and quad 15,000 rpm hard drives ahahhaah.  They even have a 46 inch 8ms gaming LCD hahaha.  There is even an option for a $510 paint job ahahhaha.  So uncalled for...  Check it out lol.

1064326877[/snapback]

Er, heh, I thought I'd seen it all ... now there's a famous gaming company trying to sell a PC the price of a small car ... that's just nuts to me. I'd never spend that much (in GBP) on a car to go from A to B, let alone a PC just to play games & program code/type docs etc!!

Large screens at those response times are usually low-res ones. That kinda defeats the purpose of a monitor to me .. that's more like a 1080p TV, so it should cost so much more than TVs normally cost on average ;-). They say it's a Samsung with a pathetic 1366x768 (not even 1080p!) resolution yet costing 9000USD!!! You'd have to be demented to pay that much for a screen that'd be useless for watching HD movies or tv in the near future!

500USD just for cosmetics ... I'd rather go down to my local garage and get them to do a metallic paint job (sure non of this angle colour changing stuff .. but is it worth 500USD of your own money when that's the price of a half decent CPU?!). Just doesn't make sense to me ... unless I was a rich kid & it was my parents' money & I had no idea of the value of money ;-). No harm in dreaming though!

2000USD loading it up with 2TB of HDDs ... again there are much better ways of spending money than on loads of HDDs, and you can always simply add drives when you run out of space at which point those prices would've dropped .. so to me I'd rather start with just 1 or 2 & try to use cheap optical for bulk files like videos.

Basically, there are ways to have a decent systems for most peoples' needs whilst not breaking the bank, but it involves being ultra conservative and minimalistic .. and doing lots of small minor upgrades but only when necessary .. rather than aiming high at the start!

Again it's my own opinions .. just my 2c's wrt what I've found myself from making some dumb mistakes along the way in buying at the high-end once or twice for a few components and usually regretting it! I've not regretting spending on decent monitors since they're worth it wrt you can use them for a decade, but a high-end graphics card just for 1 game definitely isn't to me, if you can manage to hold out on buying until the next versions come out so you can then buy the previous gen at half the initial price ;-). Again, if you're using them for work, then it's a totally different issue!