xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
IWroteCode

Partitioning The HDD For Multiple OS How would I go about doing it?

Well, first of all, before I ask any questions, let me ask this first:Why do we need multiple operating systems for one computer? That's pretty pointless.. and I don't even know why or how it will work!! I mean, do you select an operating system to run after your RAM check?Hahaahhaa!! Someone explain to me.. please!!

I have 3 Operating systems on my Computer,Gentoo Linux (my Main distro)FreeBSD (just for fun)WindowsXP (just in case)I NEED a *nix OS like Linux or BSD for my work.but a kep a windows partiton for a few games that wont work under Linux.And yes, You choose which OS to boot when the initial boot loader runs, just after the first BIOS screen.

cyborgxxi, multiple operating system is achieved over a bootloader, which is the one that loads the kernel at boot-time. There's one for every operating system in the world. It is stored at your hard disc's MBR (Master Boot Record). The UNIX based boot loader, GRUB (GRand Unified Bootloader) can boot Linux and or UNIX complaint operating system and Windows under a menu which you need to choose.You can have an infinite amount of operating systems if your computer can store that many.xboxrulz

Well, first of all, before I ask any questions, let me ask this first:

Why do we need multiple operating systems for one computer? That's pretty pointless.. and I don't even know why or how it will work!! I mean, do you select an operating system to run after your RAM check?

Hahaahhaa!! Someone explain to me.. please!!

1064323109[/snapback]

Purely for educational/entertainment purposes.

I wanted to try my hand at something different - and this was what came up.

i think at the beginning, should you first try to confirmed that is, typical copy of windows xp have the drivers of you laptop it want or not. if it did, you can go install xp as normal. however, if not, then, you may backup you current xp first. after that, following the step to get running both os on you computer.NOTE: THE STEPS BELOW YOU FOLLOW MAY BE MADE YOU LOSS ALL OF THE DATA YOUR COMPUTER HAVE, ALWAYS BACKUP IT FIRST.I have assumed that you are using fat or fat32 filesystem, coz this make setting easy.1.) if you wanted a fresh windows to be installed, use your restore cd that come from you machine first. now, you should have a fresh window xp installed.2.) boot your computer from ms-dos or win9x start-up disk, backup the newer windows to any media( including program files, ...etc), this will use later3.) now, install the window xp using you typical copy( not the restore cd ), and dont forget choose partition your hard disk, this is coz the computer vendor typical make use of whole disk in the restore disk system. partition a size you like but that can be holding a complete windows xp system, you should have 1GB or larger( if you would installing game, then, you may make larger). this step is to partition you hard drive to have room for windows xp and linux and install the system loader for windows xp.4.) then, boot you computer with ms-dos or win9x start-up disk again, first rename the windows you just installed, and then, copy your windows xp backup create in step 2.5.) after the windows xp is copyed, restart you computer to test it if it can boot-up, dont forget the newer window directory name and the backup window directory must be the same. otherwise will failed.6.) if windows xp start-up success, enjoy to check it whether all the function of you computer would do as before. if it did, go next step, otherwise, check the step above again.7.) now, you are arrived the last step, for now, you have installed a windows that came with you vendor and have room for installing a linux distso to you computer. you may now following the method posted before to install linux. have fun. ;) - hope this help

If you're starting with a new, blank hard drive, partitioning is easy. The installation routines of Windows NT, 2000, and XP give you some control over partitions. Other versions of Windows come with FDISK, a basic partitioning utility that you copy to a bootable floppy.But if you want to have extensive partitioning options, you'll need a utility such as Partition Commander ($40) or PartitionMagic ($69). They offer such options as changing the size of partitions and converting from different file systems. And, given enough free space, they preserve the data stored on your drive.If you're starting with a new, blank hard drive, partitioning is easy. The installation routines of Windows NT, 2000, and XP give you some control over partitions. Other versions of Windows come with FDISK, a basic partitioning utility that you copy to a bootable floppy.But if you want to have extensive partitioning options, you'll need a utility such as Partition Commander ($40) or PartitionMagic ($69). They offer such options as changing the size of partitions and converting from different file systems. And, given enough free space, they preserve the data stored on your drive.Before you run the partitioning software, decide how you want to organize your hard drive(s). Consider the size of the drive, whether you want to simply segregate data from the operating system and applications or create a more complex structure, and whether you want to run more than one OS. Once you've decided how to set up your partitions, follow the directions to install and run the partitioning software. Although the software won't let you make incorrect choices, you should check and double-check the new partitions to make sure you've allocated all the drive's space. Creating and moving partitions may take 30 minutes or more, depending on how full your drive is. The software will also format the new partitions for you.

Most Linux Distro contain the partitioning software. Just one tIp defrag you windows before partitiong keeps you from losing some files. Then boot into the linux disc partitiona nd format the linux partiton into ext3. Most installers are user friendly and give you step by step instrcutions. The thing i love about Lnux is that it tells you what its doing a lot of the time unlike windows hangs there telling you nothing. The Linux distro will install a boot loader and it will ask you when you boot which OS to boot.Good Luck zerofool2005