xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
fxfusion

Wish They Had Cheaper Macs hmm....

i am against windows and would love a mac, but as my parents don't understand the concept of it all and only look at the price and performance..... i had to go with a windows os computer, if only they were cheaper (MAC's) ;)

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

i am against windows and would love a mac, but as my parents don't understand the concept of it all and only look at the price and performance..... i had to go with a windows os computer, if only they were cheaper (MAC's) ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I'm reading your post correctly, it sounds as if your parents were the ones who coughed up the money for your computer. And unless they fished it out of a Dumpster, dusted it off and told you to have fun with it, I would say that they were trying to do something nice. But not *overly* nice, because then you'd be a spoiled brat who expected Mom and Dad to fork over whatever your little heart desired *smirk*

I actually had the same problem like you, but I work so I could buy it myself ;) There is a new mini mac that came out and they cost around $500 for a 1.2Ghz version I think. If you can afford it (or if mom and dad says it's reasonable) then go for that one.Else, you can get the lower end models like the iMacs. Most are still pretty decent to run the latest versions of Mac OS X Tiger. I just bought one myself yesterday for about $300. But like I said, if you can afford it, fork over the extra $200 to get a newer and more powerful mac mini. The one I bought was under 1Ghz. You're only learning from this right? So no rush to get the most powerful mac out there ;) That's what I'm doing now. Get a older one first to learn how to use it, then upgrade to the more powerful models.

I tell you whats even worse - id have a mac if it wasnt for this. In the US you guys get to buy your mini macs for $500 which is just over £250, but in england mini macs cost £359. Thats not fair.But the g5 power mac. in the us £2000 so currnecy conversion £1000 - the price i paid for my most recent p4 pc. In england the price is £1349 - not fair

Well, the Mac Mini is only $499, but it doesn't come with a monitor, keyboard or mouse. If you want to pay extra and just get all at the same time, the eMac an extra $300 bucks.

I don't really see their prices as really unreasonable, except for laptops. For a 12-inch iBook G4, you have to fork out $999...yikes. I really wish they had a $799 laptop.... ;)

Unless you need something to run high end processing applications (i.e. photoshop, FCP, rendering apps, games), you can get away with a very modest Mac (much more so than a typical PC). I still have my old dual 500 mhz G4, and it's been running fine and meets most of my needs for the last 5 or so years. You can pick one of those up for about $300-$450 depending on the specs. Sure, you can buy a Mac Mini for a little more, so that might be a better option. However, my point is that you don't /need/ to go with a new machine, because Macs typically last far longer than their PC equivalents and a used Mac is usually better than a new PC.

I myself, after finally getting a chance to try Mac OS X, have decided I'm going to buy a Mac mini as well. Although I wish they still made the "pizza box" style computers. Like, and updated version of the LC I/II/III case, but of course with more modern technology. But the mini will do fine, although I need to see about what to do for audio input on it...

i am against windows and would love a mac, but as my parents don't understand the concept of it all and only look at the price and performance..... i had to go with a windows os computer, if only they were cheaper (MAC's) B)

1064320362[/snapback]

LOL... i totally undersatand what you're talking about... i use a pc too, because macs are so expensive... i do really wish that i had a mac though... well, that and my mom refuses to let me have a mac in her house... shes a strict pc person because "pcs can do everything a mac can do and they have better operating systems" but she doesnt believe me that microsoft copied xp off of osx...

I wish Macs were a bit cheaper, but they're not too bad. I've been looking to buy a new iBook. The cheapest one is $999 (as someone said before) but with the latest upgrade that iBook is pretty nice:1.33 GHz512 MB RAM40 GB Hard DriveCombo Drive (CD-RW DVD-R)Built in Wi-FiBuilt in Blue ToothIt has a slot-loading drive and Apples cool scrolling trackpad. Really some good stuff for $999. Maybe not as cheap as a Dell, but who wants a Dell?