xisto Community
TheJeffsta

Terabyte Storage

Have they currently released a hard drive (available to the public) that can store 1TB (1 Terabyte)?Imagine defragmenting it once you have got 700MB lol - prob 10 hours with Diskeeper Pro.I only have a 20GB hard drive, that little storage is like living in hell!

I haven't heard anything about those monster hard drives being available yet ... but when I had to defrag it ... I would probably sit and cry tears of unrepentant joy at how long it took.And then I would call my mother, who is also a computer nerd of sorts."Mom! Guess how long my hard drive's been defragging?""How long?""TWO DAYS!""I hate you, Sarah."

I haven't heard anything about those monster hard drives being available yet ... but when I had to defrag it ... I would probably sit and cry tears of unrepentant joy at how long it took.

And then I would call my mother, who is also a computer nerd of sorts.

"Mom! Guess how long my hard drive's been defragging?"

"How long?"

"TWO DAYS!"

"I hate you, Sarah."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well i guess the trick would be to defragment it every few days or something like that so that it doesn't take that long lol. And plus, Diskeeper Pro speeds up the process conciderably - my 14GB used hard drive space only takes 5 minutes at the most to defragement.

I know that they have made super computers that have like 10000TB or something like that, but who would want a hard drive that is the size of an a average single story house lol.

a 1 Terabyte drive for home computers....lol...thats insane. Think of all the spyware and malware that could be uploaded to a home computer at that point. Besides what would the average late night, websurfer do with that much data storage....hmmmmWarz, Warz, and more Warz?

It would be handy if you had quite a lot of todays games (that take up like 3GB each) and all of the essential things. Plus music fanatics would be able to keep all their music and dont forget all of those big downloads lol. 300GB would be definately enough for me - i only have 1.5GB of music on my PC and a few games.Think about that, never uninstalling a good game just cause of lack of space on hard drive. Well i suppose you will run out eventually, but remember how all of those old games were only like 100KB and now they are like 3GB, try and think about what they will be in 10, 20 or even 30 years time. 30GB games lol

There actualy exist an external 1Tb hdd from Lacie, but that's just an external RAID array, so. But 1TB can be usefull, think about videoeditting, if you have uncompressed data, that takes a huge amount of space to store, same for audio, but a bit less :D . And if you have 1TB you can store your games that require a cd on it and mount it when the game needs it, like GTAIII.I think the largest drive atm is 400Gb.

In any case, with newer OS like Win 2000 and XP's NTFS file system and the EXT2 file system on Linux machines, files don't get as fragmented as they would on earlier FAT and FAT32 systems.

More info on Wikipedia

Hehe... remember those 5 and 1/4 inch floppies... a rarity to see them now. Things are changing... remember Bill Gates' famous words when DOS made it's advent... "Why would anyone require more that 64kb of RAM' :DI've got a 160GB hard disk and it's barely enough to keep my songs, movies and games :D. Wish I had another 200GB. Tell you what... when the 1 TB hard disk does come to the market (not too long IMO, another couple of years I guess... three max), it'll be a big thing, but we'll overtake it like nothing. Pretty soon, everything will be measured in terms of TB... 'You've got a mere 10TB HDD... I've got a 40TB HDD, hehe, I'm the L337'Yep :D... that day isn't too far.

I've seen a 500GB hdd. What I would love to do once I get enough $$ is build a computer system connected to something like coraid. Think of boxes with 15 500GB drives each. That's 7.5 TB a box! Then I would have it all set up so that I could store my entire movie collection on it (both DVD & VHS). Just imagine, I'm sitting in my living room with a projector for a TV. I want to watch a movie, so instead of getting up and walking to the shelf of videos, I simply pull out my remote. Then I hit a button to see the list of movies I own, scroll to the movie I want, and press play. And with this kind of setup, I could access my movie library from any TV in the house! Just imagine that kind of freedom. I would also have several TV tuners in the central server so that it can also pull "TiVo" type duties, recording all the shows I want. :DSo yea, I would love to have TB hdd's!! The more I can store per hdd, the cheaper I can build my system. Especially as price per GB comes down.

@yungblood : your movie liste would be tousand of lines long. You simply could not browse it with your remote command. You would nee a keyboard to look your movie name in the database.

I know a dude that actually has 1.5TB (3HDD combined) of storage in his home PC.Crazy!! that`s all I can say.And the funny part is ,his brother AND his father are both comp freaks too with similar machines.They all together have @ home something around 5TB of storage.But the thing is they all have admited that the more space you got the more (worthless) Junk you collect.I`ll stick to my (2HDD combined) 120GB.

There are 1TB disks out there, but none you'll find outside of DOD supercomputers. At work we currently have 2x1.2TB Xraid systems and we just ordered a 6TB system from Apple last week.However, it should be noted that we're in the video production business and having a 500GB project isn't uncommon, especially if we're doing anything in HD. The general strategy with computing in general these days is more is better not bigger is better. For instance, we have our computers linked with Xgrid. If one of the computers goes down, we're operating at 95%. Back in the day they had large 8-way Alpha servers for rendering and if that server went down, you were at 0%. Anyway, I'd rather have 4x250GB disk arrayed and mirrored than 1x1TB disk any day.

if I remember correclty, Bill Gates said 640K ;) .120Gb isn't enough overhere, lots of songs, lots of vids (small vids tough), lots of pics and a few Vmware OS's. Still need to transfer 30Gb from a partition to a 28Gb partition, wonder how I'm going to do that ;)

@yungblood : your movie liste would be tousand of lines long. You simply could not browse it with your remote command. You would nee a keyboard to look your movie name in the database.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would have (at least) 2 ways of looking up a movie. I would have one list divided by type, and a second list divided by the first letter of the name. Think of all the files on the computer when you look in windows explorer. It would be too confusing if there weren't directories. So I would use the same concept in my movie menu. And I would choose a remote that has the equivilant of the 4 arrow keys. R/L to go into & out of the directories. U/D to scroll through the lists. ;) That would make it all manageable ;) I might even add the option of looking for simular movies, or other movies with the same actors/director ;)

I've setup many databases with the purpose of making all the data accessable without being confusing. :) To me, this is the same thing with different data ;)

Besides, with a remote that has a directional pad (or arrow buttons) I can use that as if it's a mouse ;) since it's a computer working behind the scenes. ;) And if I want keyboard capability without a keyboard, Both Windows & Linux have virtual keyboard programs that you can use with just a mouse (or equivilant) ;)

-YB

Hehe... remember those 5 and 1/4 inch floppies... a rarity to see them now. Things are changing... remember Bill Gates' famous words when DOS made it's advent... "Why would anyone require more that 64kb of RAM' ;)

I've got a 160GB hard disk and it's barely enough to keep my songs, movies and games ;). Wish I had another 200GB.

Tell you what... when the 1 TB hard disk does come to the market (not too long IMO, another couple of years I guess... three max), it'll be a big thing, but we'll overtake it like nothing. Pretty soon, everything will be measured in terms of TB... 'You've got a mere 10TB HDD... I've got a 40TB HDD, hehe, I'm the L337'

Yep ;)... that day isn't too far.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Lol, the average download size will prob. go up to like 500MB or 1GB for programs in the future. lol 500KB used to be like todays 100MB :) . Well my average download size now is 100MB (just to believe 1MB games were put onto CD's and sold!).

Yes, I do remember those 5 1/4 inch floppy disks - at school on my first year (primary school) i "broke" one ("broke" - my friend and i was playing the game on it, he then took it out and wrecked it. It was a pritty gay game when you go back to think about it - forgot what it was and what you had to do, i only remember it was stupid.