xisto Community
cyph3r

Why Do Some People Mistreat Newbies ?

Hmm, off the posts and topic is just started in the operating system section. Well i was just going tru some of my old posts, and while browsing i realised that some days ago, there was a tutorial posted, well i didnt know then because i had clicked on the recent posted links and got there. I saw that post again. It was a tutorial on Tweaking Nvidia Gfx.

Well it was my mistake i didnt see that it was in the linux section and i went accouring to the tutorial, till i came again and posted a message that this wasent working, yeah "i am retarded" i know, i still didnt motice the tutorial was for linux. Anyhow, after the post another post was made below me.

You are n00b....big n00b. No offense.

Every Linux is based on command prompt ! You can't use Linux without using command prompt ( command prompt <=> bash <==> shell <=> Bourne again shell ). 90% things which you perform, you do right in the command prompt.

Where the command prompt is? Press ctrl+alt+F2 and you'll see.

Where to learn how to use it? read abs.

Notice from Klass:

I am a Supreme Elite Linux Guru. I like to make new linux users feel like they are dirt under my feet. Next time I make someone feel like that Klass will ban me.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When i went there today i noticed the note made by klass, but just out of curiosity, not any forum in particular, how can you expect someone to know everything that exists ? When ur asked a dum question ( hoping it was a windows question and not seeing it was for linux ) would you rather tell the person the right answer or get sercastic ?

Just a thought. No hard feelings from my side, but this message kinda got me into a fire start for learning linux, and hell m doing pretty much i can to get standing, atleast so that the next time sumone else does what i did in a forum not noticing the topic, i would rather guide him to the right source or just tell him what the topic is really for.

I have seen people around in real life who do the same, and m pretty much shure all of you have seen too. People who know alot in a certain topic may or may not willingly help u at times, but atleast a certain amount of respect for feelings should be kept. Maybe at times u really do wish to help, and get frustrated with the questions ur asked with, but c'mon, the questions u know pretty well, the other person dosent have a clue.

So just requesting you guys or for that matter any one who comes to this forum, please do not make a newbie feel like a newbie, there are ways to tell, much better ways to do that, just dont try thinking u r god in what u know :D atleast spare Xisto from the snobishness that other forums brag about.

Cheers :D

Aw the newbe feeling. I know it so well I ask for help and what I get is so far over my head I need a helcopter just to see it. It helps if you place it in plan english tha a two year old could follow. When I answer a post I try to place my help in detail and try to paint a picture so they could follow. At the moment I seeking help in the pear/cgi area and it apears I'm on my own to figure out what I'm doing wronge. But oh well ignore the nubie I know it all so well.

Actually Dhanesh, this sort of thing is quite rare on Asta. That's one of the main things that really appeals to me on this forum. Other forums actually fry newbies for asking questions which are below (according to the more 'senior' members) the 'intellectual level' of the forum. One example is the number of topics about 'which Linux is the best' or to that effect. All of these topics have an active and constructive participation by many of the members (esp qwijibow... he's been a wealth of knowledge on most of them :D). I hope there won't be anymore flames like this one. If you have to criticize, please do so constructively and not rudely.

I hope there won't be anymore flames like this one. If you have to criticize, please do so constructively and not rudely.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do agree that this forum is far better than the ones that tell you to ask questions "worth" their time. And i wasent being rude :D, sorry if my way of explaining seemed that say, but i didnt mean to even criticize. Its just that I wanted to be frank about how any newbie with NO knowledge of the subject would have felt, the knowledge of everything you know shouldent be at a high heap when u talk with a newbie who dosent know anything about the subject.

Alright f'get about the forums, how many of us do this is real life ? i accept i do it too, i aint the perfect cool dude, but i do realise the effect on the other person.

And i dunt hope, I know that this wouldent happen here again, my case mite be 0.1 out of 100, but i do love to hang out here. Its a fun place and want it to stay this way :D

Cheers .. n Sorry again abhiram, i didnt mean to be rude m8. :D

I wasn't talking about you Dhanesh... I meant WaCo. He's the one flaming you right?

I hope there won't be anymore flames like this one. If you have to criticize, please do so constructively and not rudely.

'This one' doesn't mean this post, it refers to the post you quoted in your first post. I meant that it wasn't right of him to have said it like that to you no matter how superior he is to you in Linux.

Cheers.
:D

One time I was sexin up this chick and she called me a n00b and kicked me out of her bed.........But nah seriously most people seem to fry "n00bs" to feel suprerior I guess. So many people online are seriously on a "OMG I R T3H 1337!" psycho trip and they just try to make themselves seem as much above anyone and everyone else as possible. Myself, I know I've done it sometimes if someone does something STUPID...like common sense should have stopped it... but otherwise I try my best to help out the 'n00bs'. I know I have been one, and will be in places I'm new too many times more and it's nice to help out and be helped in return.But alas, ever since the first man stepped onto the inatrwebs, he was ready to bash the one that followed for being a n00b. Too bad but its assumedly here to stay :S

One time I was sexin up this chick and she called me a n00b and kicked me out of her bed

And you left without retaliating?

Jeez... u r the n00b :D. hehe... jk

One time I was sexin up this chick and she called me a n00b and kicked me out of her bed...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You made me laugh out loud, Jeigh.

Back to the topic at hand, I'm not sure that these n00b-haters are really malevolent. Perhaps they're just initiating the new blood into the fold with good-natured ribbing. It's this principle that you must pay your dues before being accepted as an equal. Yes, it does seem harsh, but the n00b begins to feel a sense of pride as he/she advances in the group. I imagine this creates a greater sense of community.

I'm not saying this system of denigration is better, just that it has its own advantages. Personally, I'd rather not be called an idiot every time I ask a question.

"Grasshopper you must start at the bottom and climb the ladder..."As with anything in life we all have to admit, to ourselves first, that we know nothing. The problem with this is that some people take the wrong approch and take out their frustrations on others when they get the chance. By this I mean that when they feel in adiquit in one area they seek out someone to demorilise in an area that they know about to bolster their own ego.I've seen this happen more in the IT feild then almost anywhere else. The reaone I feel this happens more here, ie the IT feild, then anywhere else is that even the most simple of processes are hidden behind complex and obscure terminology. While if your "in the know" you can speak "IT geek", as my mom used to say, fluently most people can't.In our repectful feilds the higher you get, the harder it is at times to remember that not everyone will understand what you say. Whether we realize it or not we all do it, but those that seem to go out of their way, such as the post qouted at the begining, need to be brought to task IMO.Those that pray on the "NoobS" to raise their own self estime make the rest of us look bad when we do it unintentionaly.Well sorry for my long drawn out rant...I'll let someone else have their turn now...

Where the command prompt is? Press ctrl+alt+F2

Quite false. On my system, like on a lot of preffessional ones, the command prompt is crtl+alt+F4, F2 is for the graphic version. So, who is the noob ?

One possible case of declared n00bism is when someone who clearly doesn't show to have any kind of knowledge of computers is trying to be a so called big-*bottom*-smart-*bottom*. This will result in the wannabe smartass being called a n00b.There are more possible cases, and when you are called a n00b because you didn't read the topic very well ... Be honest, that's just a n00bish act. Everyone makes these kind of mistakes sometimes so in this case it's justified. (Although WaCo seemed a bit too harsh). But if it's just a mistake, laugh it away.ps. It's ok to be arrogant, as long as you have the skillz to back it up eh ? :huh:ps2. (not the console) : It seems to me that if someone who is new at stuff but is seriously trying to learn something, he/she won't seem like a n00b to most people. Because If you want to learn something, you look it up yourself first and if you then don't get it -> ask in a forum. Which is the good way, because if you have questions then, they probably aren't stupid ones.Instead of asking in the forum right away, which shows some kind of lazyness. Like 'How can I make my own game'. Which is n00b.

I only fry newbs depends on the situation. I only fry them if they asked very basic Windows questions, like "how do you change the wallpaper?"It is because it's so simple and basic in the decade of 2000. If it was 1985, I wouldn't blame them.I welcome and help as many "newbs" as possible. I also sometimes act as if I was a newb in computer stores. Like at BestBuy or in the Hong Kong Computer Convention (although some people couldn't believe how a newb is in a computer convention...)I think frying n00bs are a way of bullying. Instead in the physical playground, they do it in the cyber playground. Furthermore, I hate when people talk in 1337 5P33K, it irritates me and looking at them if they were some premature prehistoric cave men trying to speak English, or so we think. Another point is how did 1337 5P33K even caught in a "fad" or "trend" in the cyber world. It makes some other techie look bad. Especially if the techie is a student at high school. People will make fun of them chanting "I AM A HAXXORZ, I'm SO L33T!!!" and etc. Although none of these happen in my school, but I feel bad as a high school student techie to see another being taunted for 4 years like this.xboxrulz

Furthermore, I hate when people talk in 1337 5P33K, it irritates me and looking at them if they were some premature prehistoric cave men trying to speak English, or so we think.

1064334214[/snapback]

Errm .. Well i somehow feel happy about changing my nick :P When i started this topic, i do agree i was kinda hesitant to reply to some threads that i "thought" i knew. But time and place changes a person rite ?

I respect everyones comments on this, and mainly jipman's .. It was my mistake then, not to read the topic well, infact i clicked the topic from "recently updated" below the board index. I just didnt check the section to which it was added. Now, i check the section and topic, read things twice before i post. But still errors are possible, No ones god here.

I have to admit to the fact that after i joined asta, a guy like me could be reformed. How ?? Well i bet atleast 1 has been in this state once and i am no different. I used to be a "net freek" so called by my firends. Internet was my daily life support, tho i wouldent have anything to do on the net, i'd probably sit and right-click and refresh, which now has become a habbit. My language was some what like this "hey ppl,wazzap .. howz it goin n howz u" .. Then was "den" .. And was "n" .. etc .. u get the point, and hell i almost flunked in english because i used the same lingo while writing :D .

To make it short, I have loved being on asta and will always do. Not like i am perfect even now, I still type in the net lingo at times, I still post things having the wrong info and later on another post corrects me .. but being on asta gives you some sort of teaching. Knowledge is vast .. but thats not the only thing that keeps this place growing, its the peple that matter. And i guess i have met more nicer friends on asta ;) lol .. So, i just hope that every newbie is treated the same and expained things in a way not so rude .. so that everyone gets a chance to learn something good :D

Regards

Dhanesh.