xisto Community
sparx

Gmail No Longer Beta

A posting on the Google Blog says that GMail is now available for users to sign up with at the front page. No more exclusivity, no more invitations, no more " My mailbox is bigger thatn yours " !

However, as of now, when I am clicking the link I still can't see any way for a user to sign up... Perhaps it's being rolled out slowly.

Maybe Google is out of it's testing time. However, the "send invitations" menu is still there on my user's page, so it's probably still possible to invite a friend. And, effectively, I see no menu for registering without invitation.

Nope, it's still Beta for me, and I don't see a signup link.What they're saying does seem pretty cool though, the whole "sign up with a mobile phone" thing. Perhaps they posted the blog entry before they added the Gmail features by mistake.

It'd be nice for them to finally go full out... but at the same time I cant imagine it'll affect me any. I've been gmailing long before this, will be long after... the title or how many others can or cant sign up doesn't affect me haha

Hmmm.. I read elsewhere that in order to be able to sign up, one needs to access the GMail site from a mobile phone in the USA. Then you get the activation code and URL which goves you a GMail account. Can anyone verify this?

Hmmm.. I read elsewhere that in order to be able to sign up, one needs to access the GMail site from a mobile phone in the USA. Then you get the activation code and URL which goves you a GMail account. Can anyone verify this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, I have a mobile phone but I'm not in the US right now. However, these kind of phones are getting high-tech, very fast!! I mean, phones with digital cameras - then MP3 players - radios - organizers - applications - it's becoming a computer world. It's like a tiny computer with 10 megabytes of storage, which kinda stinks.

Well, Gmail is no longer in Beta status, eh? That's ... some cool news you got there. I never even bother to thoroughly read the Google newsbits at their website. Well, I did, once or twice, and there were some interesting stuff. Such as making alliances with other companies, etc.

However, I don't think it's very difficult to get a Gmail invite right now. You can go to these forums filled and crawling and swarming with Gmail users who want to give away their Gmail invites. I got a Gmail invite from my school friend and I was impressed by the storage and compactness!!

I mean, 1 gigabyte of storage at first. Then, 2 gigabytes (some months ago). It's growing 1 megabyte a day too. Dude, this is like a hundred times better than Hotmail, with better filter stuff. However, I wish the spam mails would go somewhere different, like the Deleted Items section, other than the Spam section. I get about 4-5 spam mails a day.

Also, I hope they do something about this spam issue. It's getting really annoying and if Google releases or upgrades to another version, I hope they do something about spam mails. You know how annoying they are :D

Nope it doesnt really seem to be out of beta mode. I still have the invitation box thing with 50 invites left. The homepage still says that its better. Ive only seen a link on the Google Talk site. The mobile signup thing is only for US residence so it is still in beta and quite restricting to the rest of the world.

UPDATE:

After having a little chat with two people connected to Google's operations, I have been sent the following link:

GMail will continue to be in BETA for the near future at least. Only more and more people will be allowed to register for it.

As can be seen in the HELP / FAQ, this is open only to residents of the USA with a cell phone.

Hey guys... MY MAILBOX'S BIGGER THAN YOURS! ;) Uh, anyways... yes, I have GMail myself, and it's a great e-mail program. I have 2500-some MB of space, and I never have to worry about deleting a thing. You can also import your contacts from another e-mail service to GMail, so it's very cool. Thing is, for anyone who's interested, I have 46 invites left. As of right now, the only way to get GMail for yourself is from invite from someone who has it. So... if you're really interested in getting the great e-mail program known as GMail... perhaps all you might have to do is ask...

For me also Gmail is still BETA. There is also an invite box in my Gmail. And today I have found that I have 100 invites instead of 50. Have anybody else has found it???Anyway it does not mean than Gmail is in BETA mode or not. It is the best.

are there any drawbacks to GMail? i keep hearing all these great things about it, but never any drawbacks... i get really tired of people always changing their emails and im fairly happy with the one i have now... if im going to change, i need to know the pros and cons of it....

Pros:1. Tons of space (more than 2.5 mb of the stuff)2. Very clean and tidy (white background; some varying colors)3. No annoying ads (just little teeny ads to the side that correlate with your e-mail)4. Invites to taunt your friends with (hehe)Cons:1. You feel ashamed that you're not paying Google for such a service.And there it is, your pros & cons... when are you switching?