xisto Community
abhiram

Kmixer Causing Problems With Fluxbox Reseting the settings....

Hi, I'm using Slackware 10.1. I've been using mostly KDE. But for the past couple of months I've started using fluxbox. It's great actually... lightweight and all that... I'm just having one small problem with kmix. Everytime I logout and login, kmix resets the values back to the default values. This happens only with fluxbox. In KDE, it restores the settings I kept previously. I've tried both checking and unchecking the 'Restore volumes on login' option in the settings.... but it still resets the volume to somewhere near half. Any ideas anyone?Thanks.

when you log in with fluxbox, do you use the same login as when you login with KDE ?If yes, then there a no permission problems. So, you have to look at the exported settings.When logged using fluxbox, open a unix shell window, type "set |sort", put in /tmp/file1.txtwhen logged with DKE, open a shell window, type "set |sort" again, and put it in /tmp/file2.txtThen look at both files to see if there is a difference, explaining the defferent behave of kmix.

Yes, I do use the same password for both coz it is the same user.ok... i've got both the files... and they are very much different. fluxbox only has 17 lines but KDE has 25 lines. But what do i do now? What exactly does the set command do? Give me the environment variables?

OK, let's talk a little bit about philosophy.the "set" command shows all the variable which value is set to something.It's only a display, nothing dangerous.Simply, the usual philosophy with Unix is that, if a variable (let's say DISPLAY or TERM) has a value (like TERM=vt220 or TERM=aixterm), then this value is used.If this variable has no value, then the default values for the system are used.So, suppose that in KDE you have something like "USER_SETTINGS"=/var/homeand has another value in the other environment, the results will be different.So, look in your two settings listing which is the difference, and try putting in your fluxbox environment what you had in your KDE environment.One non-destructive way could be to create (using vi for instance) a script named "mysettings.sh", and activate it by typing ". ./mysettings.sh".Unfortunately I am not famliar, neither with fluxbox nor with kmix. But what I am telling you is quite standard Unix things, occuring so often that it's probably the reason of your problem.By the way, isn't kmix the mixer coming with kde ?

By the way, isn't kmix the mixer coming with kde ?

Yea... ur right. But it works with fluxbox as well.

I think I understand what your trying to say. I'll give it a shot. I think I'll have to do some googling first. I'll post back when I get a solution. Thanks for your time :D.

Time is not the only important thing.I must confess that I would like to see if my Unix AIX professional experience makes me able to help a guy having Linux environment variables problems, in a fild where I know almost nothing ! If it could happen to be really helpful, this would be really grat ! :D