xisto Community
KnightEagle

Help Needed To Create Login Script With Perl/cgi Need Script

Have a format in mind and have a good idea how it works. So here what I need:step 1:::person must register: create handle // enter password // enter password // enter email : it then takes the person to acsepted page or reject per reason page.step 2::: login page: enter handle // enter password : takes them on it to the site of their control pages for each handle controls their own pages yet all pages interacts with the others. or bad password re login page.Have the page designed already have the script in html lang but one can create a password on the html page but it dont work even have the main login page same way. found a login scipt on the web was in three parts login page // password maker page // and log. I manage even get it in a cgi scipt. but when i loaded up on my last host they had limedted cgi allowed and keep getting either page can not display or rerouted me to some page to search at for it. Any scripts and help I could use thanks.

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Use PHP. I have a beta login script that I coded some time ago, it's supports registering, email activation, access levels and etc. I spent 2 days coding it only, it's not that hard, just be patient. you need, besides the html, obviously a script that handles the posted data, compares the login info and etc.

Since this post was in the Perl & CGI you should really think about using PHP and a database like MySQL (both are free) and not that hard to learn. You can get PHP download here and you can get the latest MySQL download here.

While it is possible to write an HTML code that would work it would be extemely slow and it would really eatup a lot of diskspace. Xisto gives you unliited database space so with all your data for your scripts being there you don't need to worry about running out of disk space, pluse you would have to write more acript for errors that then eatup even more disk space.

Try PHP and look at the free scripts and in the C Panel for such stuff provided with an account here at Xisto.

Houdini: checked both out. From what I saw neither one php or MySQL appeared to be windows exe. The problem I have at this point I must run on a Windows base computer. do have a program called optipearl but they have a limited amount of examples. Need to remmber windows maybe a easy place to install programs on but suck at running unix or linux programs or even installing them. I do have the operating system redhat 9.0 but I can make heads or tals of it Can fig out the browser in it thats simple click and go.

Download and install this fantastic Apache PHP, MySQL, Perl, Tomcat, Filezilla FTP server Mercury mailserver and all in one simple windows installer program and set up a server ready to go within 10 minutes of download. It is XAMPP and you can get it here XAMPP Home Page you will be glad you got it and save the trouble of configuring all you need to run a local server with PHP and MySQL.

houdiniWell that was a bust. downloaded all parts and installed them. Knew i was in trouble when it said cant find port 80 and apache not installing due to cant find java. After that the system started locking up. had to do a system restore point to yesterday. Now computer ok again. Almost thought I was going to have to reinstall the entire operation system again. It was a good try.

Found the login script I can use now need the area to put it at. One day I will get that magic email telling me Ive been hosted. Can check the site out at custom-cgi.com they seem to have a lot of cool things for free.

Before I will give you everything I know about this problem, which of course will be able to solve it, let me ask you this few questions...1. Let say that after a user typed correct handle and password then the front page for that user will be displayed. How do u plan to handle this situation when the user go to the 2nd page of the site? Will he need to type again the handle and password for that second page?2. Do you have any knowledge about cookies? This is the right technology for your problem.I need to ask you this so I will know how to help u :D

1) you would creat your own password on the registration page only you and I would know.2) proceed to login page where you enter your user name and password3) proceed to the pre login page from there enter the game area.Im working on four areas right now 1) the html part of the site 2) the graphics that will be used 3) the cgi finding the codes or modifing them for my needs. 4) the layout and what areas i want in there.As for cookies I understand the use and the need for them in this type of game and that falls in to the thrid step.So for those that want to help to just help I say thank you. Those that want to help and get payed sorry do have low pocks full of cash. All I can say is thank you for payment. I'm trying this just for fun the game may not ever get out of testing and design. Have a feeling it will be lame too most but hey I like it. And is that what counts. So help my friend or not the choice is all yours.

Came acrossed something I dont know how to correct. Im getting an error 500 Apache/1.3.33 Server at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ Port 80. When ever I try to bring up my login.cgi page place it in my cgi-bin folder and in another tryed linking to either same result can link to it if I name it html the page pulls up. Just cant name it login.cgi then I get the error page 500 will the cgi still work if the page is saved as login.html ??? I know Im looking at it just cant see it for the code.

Just cant fig this out. Tryed placing the script in the cgi-bin and i can get it to come up but cant get it to post to the file to save the passwords. or i can get the register page to come up from the login page but the same result. when I add color to the script page at the top or bottom after the script the page dont load get a 404 error when I check the short cut from the file manager but if I click the show i see the code on top of the color im using. Sence I started this thread I'm using it to help others that may need help for if they can see what I'm doing wronge then they will not have to waste their time. Whished some of these programing genius would remmber when they first got in to programming how it was when their was a problem and no one helped them. I dont want their jobs just help I can understand.

AN http error of 500 to 505 is an internal server error, In the case of 500 it is and Internal Server Error. This code indicates that a part of the server (for example, a CGI program) has crashed or encountered a configuration error.I would check your Perl program or possibly find out about the configuration of the server which is an Apache running on a unix based machine possibly linux (just a guess), there is something wrong with that script.Since you are running a server side script like Perl then that is the most probable cause of your problems, have you considered trying PHP with MySQL also available on Xisto and millions of scripts for them both?Sorry to hear you had a problem with an XAMPP install I have never had a glitch and I have been using it for going on three years now, ever since 2002 anyway.

Sence I downloaded the script from Custom.cgi which is a free web program for login use. I've been looking at what I have and it I see that there is something missing with the first just cant put my finger on it. So that explans why I'm getting the code 500. With the other from Custom.cgi I'm getting 400 or was it 404 code that I thing I need to make a link to the right page. But I'm starting to make some headway with it. Not into making any money of the site that I'm making doing it for fun. So the script I found is free just have to keep the information from them giving them credit for the code not a bad price I say. I just have to find the write code line to edit and it still work the free script doesnt come with alot of how to information. So if you could go and get it. And look at it then past what to do and where here. that could help others as well the web site is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ thanks for the help. I did find the line for the error page that the script shoes you when you test the login page. Thats a start I think.

the script Im using is load on Xisto I can get iyt to where you type in demo and the the password demo and then it says cant open members page. or when i go to make new user put in everything and same thing happens. getting a little tiffed at it but i will keep trying cant think of what I doing wronge.

just cant get it to work quess im going to have to breack out the books and see where the problem lies. hope my red hat book or peral for dummies can help. Think I need to get the cookies working first before the members.txt page will start to work. Will load a second copy of the cookies under a diferent name so I can have a base copy to ref from in case I mess up the one Im working from. Hey houdini do you have ICQ?