xisto Community
Jeigh1405241495

Artificial Meat Will we someday buy a meat maker?

August 16, 2005 Experiments for NASA space missions have shown that small amounts of edible meat can be created in a lab. But the technology that could grow chicken nuggets without the chicken, on a large scale, may not be just a science fiction fantasy. In a recent paper in the Tissue Engineering journal, a team of scientists has proposed two new techniques of tissue engineering that may one day lead to affordable production of in vitro - lab grown - meat for human consumption. It is the first peer-reviewed discussion of the prospects for industrial production of cultured meat. "There would be a lot of benefits from cultured meat," says University of Maryland doctoral student Jason Matheny, who studies agricultural economics and public health. "For one thing, you could control the nutrients. For example, most meats are high in the fatty acid Omega 6, which can cause high cholesterol and other health problems. With in vitro meat, you could replace that with Omega 3, which is a healthy fat.
"Cultured meat could also reduce the pollution that results from raising livestock, and you wouldn't need the drugs that are used on animals raised for meat."

The rest of the article can be found here at Gizmag

Personally I think that's pretty intense. The idea of using this type of thing to generate meat would be a huge step towards fixing a lot of problems in todays world... I mean we could feed the world, reduce pollution, appease the animal rights activists, etc. Assuming they could convince the public to eat it and confirm it was perfectly safe and whatnot, it seems like an amazing concept to exploit.

Personally the idea is amazing to me, I love it haha. Frankly I love any idea that involves artificially creating 'natural' food though simply because we need it. Too many poverty striken countries have populations that go hungry.

Opinions? Comments?

The rest of the article can be found here at Gizmag

Personally I think that's pretty intense. The idea of using this type of thing to generate meat would be a huge step towards fixing a lot of problems in todays world... I mean we could feed the world, reduce pollution, appease the animal rights activists, etc. Assuming they could convince the public to eat it and confirm it was perfectly safe and whatnot, it seems like an amazing concept to exploit.

Personally the idea is amazing to me, I love it haha. Frankly I love any idea that involves artificially creating 'natural' food though simply because we need it. Too many poverty striken countries have populations that go hungry.

Opinions? Comments?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well,.. I think it is kinda gnarley. Some cloned out fake/real meat. I guess that would save the lives of animals etc, but what of over population of both animals and people. It may sound kinda callas, but there is population control, not just natural. Imagine...no one ever dies, or they just live a real long time. These people/animals reproduce, and then the offspring does not die, then they reproduce, and so on. There will not be any room for people to live on earth, and we are not advanced enough (as yet) to populate other planet (toids).

Will the animal rights activist then try to establish rights for the genetically created foodstuffs? They will no other cause to fight for.

I think genetically created food is a good idea, but there are concequences for messing with mother nature.

Just "food" for thought

I've tried some of the fake-meats that are on the market, they are usually based on some soy stuff. Although they LOOK like meat, they taste a little dryish and don't really compare to the taste of the real thing. Also, it's seams that the fake crumbles easy (crumble as in, easy to break, where real meat kinda folds).Unless the flavours are the same or maybe even better than the original, i don't see fake meat getting a lot of fans.

Well assumedly the animals rights ppl wouldn't freak over this since it's not creating the whole creature, just the meat itself. Also a large portion of our food comes from animals solely grown to be used as food, so we would simply stop breeding food animals and then the naturally occuring versions of animals would exist as they do currently.jipman, the article isn't about meat substitutes but actual fake meat. Like using a cell of meat to create "cloned" meat so to speak that would be gentically identical to the normal meat we eat, it just wouldn't be from an actual living animal.

Wow it will be really great if that meat comes in market.. But i think that may be costly than animal meat as making in labs may take time and Will sure be costly.. Well it will be really great to diet concious people !Well artificial meat i had tasted in China.just went in the holidays of past month and my cousin took me to a veg-hotel. Was just sitting and just saw the waiter taking Non-veg ! I asked how can this be possible ? Later on got to know that its artificial meat... before i had never heard of that. and as "jipman" said The taste differs.. but the structure is somewhat the same... as they cook in same recipie as of non-veg so that sure gets in some taste...!well i dont think this new realistic meat can create waves but looking at this advanced technology Its too good . thanks for the article" Jeigh "..

When you read that your automatically thinking thats kinda cool, on the other hand your thinking thats kinda gross, I mean artificial meat grown in a lab, then your like OK so I wonder what it tastes like, now I am kinda curious about it.

Again I really dont see overpopulation as a result, people will still eat SOME regular meat, and we currently dont use hunting as a real means of population control. Excluding personal hunting (which I can never see ending because of this) food doesn't come from wild game that is caught, it comes from farms, which would simply stop breeding at the current rates once the demand fell.

Personally, I think introducing this is a necessary step for the advancement of science. All we have is theories, we can't be sure until something is tested.I would probably eat this meat, I mean all it is is cultured meat. I think this has many advantages, and we have much to gain with this technology.

Well, this is a part of I wrote in a college work, about the modification of the aliments, the genetic modification of the organisms that already constitute the daily diet of the humanity is a fact, although nonlack controversy al respect, because if they consider well that it offers manifold benefits, ecological organizations question their effectiveness and they attribute several dangers to him. In the decade of the 90, the appearance in the markets of several countries of foods modified genetically provoked fears and reluctance on the part of the consumers, certain nongovernmental organizations and some states (particularly the members of the European Community). By food transgenic or modified genetically that organism is understood in which, by means of genetic engineering, a gene of another organism has been introduced or it has been suppressed to him or modified an own gene. This genetic modification allows that the organism, in this vegetal case, produces a new protein or lets produce a protein of the original organism. The transgenics foods can be classified in two groups: the transgenics organisms which they arrive at the table from the consumer in his original form (at the moment find in the market tomatos, Popes, vegetables, yogures and other milky ones fermented) and the transgenics organisms that are used like raw material to elaborate other foods (those that are nourished of products derived from soya modified genetically are a good example of this second category). The transgenic food is no bad, only like all we have to be carefull with it. Is not only the meat, is all the food, there is a transgenic product of each fodd in the market, and remember to have carefull.

I think it’s only a matter of time before we can buy artificially made meat. I mean we’re only getting more and more humans here on Earth and even though “scientists” can produce larger and larger i.e. cattle to meet the future demand animals can only reach a certain weight before they die – just like us humans. So cloned meat will help a lot there and, as it says in the article, it would help a great deal on a spacecraft, especially when we send the first humans to Mars. They’ll need a lot of food and water so anyway we can reduce the need of space would be terrific.

i personally wouldnt eat these 'grown' meats i dont think - im not sure if i could stomach them. Im not sure why but i just would prefer real meat from a real animal, same wayu i want real plants from non-gm crops.Also what is the nutritional content like, as the son of an organic farmer i can tell you that there are many trace elements and minerals that animals and plants need to grow healthy - i just wouldnt want the labs to miss these out. But i guess the rest of you wont agree with me!

WOW! Sounds good! Even though I am a vegetarian.. but still, things like this can prevent CUTTING SHUTTING etx. well, I mean to say, Atleast the animals wont have to face their brutal death. (I am saying this because, I believe 90% of the slaughtering is done in the wrong way to save money and cause more pain to poor animals).

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/86284-topic/?findpost=1064320305
(Read this post, for more information)