xisto Community
wutske

Lycos, Very Annoying

You get 50Mb free webspace and virtualy unlimited bandwith (if you have too much large files you can get a warning).
The FTP upload is very slow, 5kbs is way too slow. They also have very annoying ads wich actualy block your site (you can't click on a link or something untill it's gone). Even worse, the ads cause Opera to crash :P .
For the rest it's okay, but you don't get much control, so it's realy something for beginners.
Download speed is good tough, good for a file dump :D

Example of the blocking:
Link

This is an example of the ads w/o the ads (hosts file/spywareblaster). There should be 2 txtfiels and a dropdown box. I have to wait 5-10sec. before it leaves :P .
There are also pop-ups in ff and cookies.

I agree, lycos for hosting isn't too good. it's good for novices and those who are just starting out and experimenting, but for those who really want nice looking sites that are something you would be proud of, lycos hosting is not the way to go :D.

I got my first PHP/MySQL hosting account from Lycos. But the server had so much problems and the admins never responeded to mine or anyone elses questions in the forums I thought its better to give up. And yeah the ads are horrible there.

Basically, Lycos is soo big and they are earning so much, that their minds have diverted. They don't care about the customers. So long as they are earning money from the ads, they don't care.

The ads are awful with Opera. My domains are hosted with Lycos (I get the barebones domain only package becuase I don't like their webhosting). Iknow lots of people that host large files on Lycos becuase they can have instant registration and unlimited bandwidth, but they have a close screening system and they send you a warning nearly immedaitely if you upload a large file and they shut down accounts very frequently.

Never use a big host like Lycos, Tripod or Geocities. Bad features, slow and ads!

Well.... I've used geocities, I mean it isn't that bad. They only put one banner on the right. The features in Geocities are very well arranged and easy to use. But Angelfire.....GAWD HELP US! It's pathetic. The worst is the domain name that they give you. It's like a subfolder in a subfolder. And also the features are so crappy.

Angelfire is rarely used any longer. It's part of the Lycos network. Tripod is too, and that is there 'flagship' host. I find it strange how Lycos owns different hosts, but don't just make them one?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think what they did was that one of them was of their own creation but they decided to buy out another company, that they thought would be a successful part of their own but it ended up being craptacular and Tripod being much better.

I've used pretty much all of the big name ones and I hated them all. I never get too intense with my sites since they are usually just random little projects I take on for something to do or something to toy with/learn new things... but many of the big name ones were still unbearable to me.

Never use a big host like Lycos, Tripod or Geocities. Bad features, slow and ads!

1064318371[/snapback]

I agree for the most part.

Geocities isn't that bad. It's just limited. You run out of space, and can easily use up your bandwith.

The other sites are terrable though. Especially anglefire and lycos. They have so many ads. It really really annoying. I hate ads. B)

I still have to say that I agree with AGK about that Lycos, Angelfire and the like are really good for those starting out in wbe design, because they're really good about giving it all to you step by step if you need it. Besides, once they advance beyond novices, they generally realize that the host they're with won't do what they need it to (i.e. mySQL) and go on to something bigger and better.

It's all a learning process. I mean, none of you can't tell me that you all didn't start out with one of these hosts when you started web design? I know I did...Angelfire page builder. I think it's stupid now, but back then, I didn't know any better. And I think that's the big difference. I think some of us have forgotten what it was like to just be starting out in this big world wide web, and since everybody and their friends has a geocities page, for example, for those that didn't know any better, they thought geocities was the best. It's only after you've been around the block awhile, so to speak, that you realize that your visitors don't want popup ads or slow upload speeds, and such, and you act accordingly.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that yes, Lycos may not be what people of more experience need in a web host, but for those that it works for (i.e. newbies), I personally believe it works just fine.