xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
cyph3r

~* How To Select A Group While Signing Up ? *~

ahhh .. hey guys .. long time huh .. i dont know if this is in the right place .. but if the moderators feel to move this topic .. plz do ..I was wondering if in IPB 2.0.4 .. while a user signs up for the forum access .. could i have a drop down menu that shows the users different groups they would like to be in ?For example m running a college forum .. and i have groups like students, faculty, other college etc .. i have these as groups and the respective users are added in that group manually .. could i have a menu in the sign up form itself where the user could choose the group and after sign up they could be added to that group ?Thankx guys ..Dhanesh ..

Yes - there is indeed an option like this. You'll have to use the feature known as Custom Profile Fields for IPB. This can be found in the admin control panel.

See under the section titled: Users and Groups > Custom Profile Fields. Once you get there, simply click the button called Add New Field and add some field named say, Community/group and select Dropdown as the style of the field. then you can add the desired options.

N.B.: Keep in mind that you cannot link this field easily with the real IPB groups system (with which all access rights are alloted to users - like Members, Mods, Hosted in case of Xisto) - this will act as an independent entity - although i guess it'll serve your purpose of custom selected groups to quite an extent.

Regards,

m^e

Dang M^E .. i just love this group .. hehe ..

All my questions have an answer .. unless there technically isnt one lol .. but hey thankx for that reply .. i tried that right away .. and woow that works .. i am sort of new to all this .. so will need some time to get used to it .. i mean i know i should spend more time testing it and playing with it first and then ask .. but umm ... i really dunt wana ruin things up .. besides .. its fun gettin answers from ppl .. everyone has a diff way and its good to learn them all ..

N.B.: Keep in mind that you cannot link this field easily with the real IPB groups system (with which all access rights are alloted to users - like Members, Mods, Hosted in case of Xisto) - this will act as an independent entity - although i guess it'll serve your purpose of custom selected groups to quite an extent.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ok abt what u said i got how to make a select option in the signup form and works fine .. ( thankx to u ) .. but u said something about acting as an independent entity ? .. could u just elaborate on this ? .. i mean i get what u mean .. but it should be possible that :

If i select " Faculty " ---> hit register ----> form gets processed ---> after the process is normally done and activation is done ---- > it should go out of the normal way a bit .. and put that user in the " Faculty " group i pre created in admincp .. so he automatically gets the rights and stuff i decided for " Faculty " ..

Ok i know this would need programming and Modding the php files .. but could u guide me tru this .. or any website that can help me modify the regtistration code to go this way .. of if u know .. could u help me out on msn or yahoo ?

Awaiting your reply ..

Thankx

Dhanesh