xisto Community
jedipi

Map An Ftp Server As A Drive

all students in our university have an FTP account for file storage.
So access to FTP server is the thing that I do it everday.

Therefore, I configure my Windows XP to map to the FTP server as a drive.
Here are the step that I take:

1. use NSLOOKUP to find out what the ip address of the FTP site:

CONSOLE
nslookup ftp.globalscape.com (this is a example only)

write down the ip address that was shown.
in this case, it is 64.243.64.21

2. Open the LMHOSTS file
it is inside the folder c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Add the following line:
64.243.64.1 CuteFTP #PRE

the format is: <ip address> CuteFTP #PRE

3. Save the file

4. Run CMD.EXE. Enter the following command:
CONSOLE
nbtstat -R

you will see this message: Successful pureg and preload of the NBT Remote Cache Name Table.

5. Then enter the following command:
CONSOLE
net view \\CuteFTP

You should see information on the site

6. Now you can map it to a drive (to share data)
net use * \\CuteFTP\data /user:anonymous

This it. simple!!??

I've read an article before which teaches you how to do the same thing to a Gmail account, such that you can store your files on your Gmail account as though it's a hard disk which can be accessible from the Internet anywhere, and the files are organized like in a hard disk. I think it's cool to be able to access your files from anywhere in the world, with a connection to the web.

I've read an article before which teaches you how to do the same thing to a Gmail account

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There is a program to do that .. and it modifies the system shell to do so .. i think they stopped development a year ago .. so dunt know if they have any updates to it .. but anyhow .. it works fine .. its like a virtual harddisk on the net .. with upload capacity of 10MB only :P uggghh .. lol .. storage as u know is 1GB+ :D

Hey this is great. I just set up a link to my uni space. Saves having to open an ftp client every time i need to upload files. Thanks for the tip. I had heard about the gmail thing quite a long time ago but it was only in early stages and wasn't working all that well. I might have to give that one a go in the near future, I dont really have much use for it at the moment.

Now I know what #PRE means : it means "Preload it at boot time".Unfortunately, this method does not work on our private network between my private ftp server and my own PC.And it does not work home from my pc to Xisto acting as ftp server.This seems to mean that something else than inserting a line in lmosts has to be done on a freshly installed Microsoft Windows client system, or on the Unix ftp server.

When I use "net view CuteFTP" and result is "System error 53 has occurred.The network path was not found." And next command "net use * ..." get the same result.Anyone can help me?Thanks-Cute

I just tried it today once more, no way.

This has NOTHING to do with FTP; this is just a way to connect to ANY server running NetBUEI

Maybe that's why it does not work for most of us. It is probably not supposed to work with any ftp server, probably it's supposed to work on servers running NetBUEI. So for the other ones it will not work. I just tried it today, no way.You can guess this when you type nbtstat -R followed by nbtstat -n. If you don't see the server you just added inside lmhosts, forget about it and use the old way, creating a favourite ftp site under Crosoft Windows explorer.
Regards
Yordan
Edited by yordan (see edit history)

Pretty GOOD! But it seems that some FTP servers can't be connected in this way. However, that is still a good idea.

I would be a really great idea. Because, in a windows ftp folder you can cut-and-paste. But with a network drive you could also open a document, modify it, and save it.