xisto Community
hatim

Fire From Water News Story

Gizmodo has a story out about a new product that makes fire from water. Gizmodo explains how it works: 'Ordinary tap water (preferably distilled) is supplied to the fireplace through a pipe or tank, a 220 volt electrical service then separates the hydrogen and oxygen atoms through electrolysis, the Aqueon ignites the hydrogen, and ta-dah, fire! The oxygen is then added for color and brightness, while the rest is released into the room. It doesn't require venting because it doesn't produce any harmful emittents like carbon monoxide -- just water vapor.' The manufacturer's website has more information on the science behind this new product. While splitting water to get hydrogen and oxygen is not new, this product will likely make the technology more accessible to the masses and might hopefully show that hydrogen is a more attractive fuel than petroleum-based fuels.

Click Here

Notice from Klass:
Hi, I Copied & Pasted the above from the link, hoping I would get more Credits. Now Klass has seen the post and has notified the Red Team to deduct my credits, Hope I do not Copy & Paste again.

CREDITS REDUCED.
Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

I wish if this can be used in automobiles. I think, we will then have the solution for global warming.

I wish if this can be used in automobiles. I think, we will then have the solution for global warming.

You wish. How are you going to drive cars just by making a fire? Is that what car engines are for? No... fuel is pumped into the engine and a chemical reaction produces a powerful burst of energy, which pushes up the piston. The piston, pushed upwards, opens up space to bring in fuel again. Then, the cycle is repeated over and over again.

Putting fire in there will blow up the whole car. Not a good idea.

Have you noticed solar-powered cars? Now THAT will definitely reduce the use of fossil fuels.

So, did they discover that just now ???We did that 3 years ago during the lessons chemistry. It's realy fun blowing thing up :D . And yes, you can use it for cars, never heard about cars running hydrogen. Don't be mistaken, when you ignite some pure hydrogen, you get a lot of energy, enough to move a piston.

The one issue with this is that it takes more energy to turn the water into H + O than you get from burning it. So, not really a solution to the energy problem. On the other hand, using re-useable energy sources to turn the water into fuel is still a good idea, since the water based fuel is non polluting.

It is a nice theory, that is plausable but wouldn't it require a large amount of energy to seperate the Hydrogen and Oxygen not to mention the energy to ignite the hydrogen after seperation, if they worked with this a bit longer they might develope something that would be very reliable, and possibly replace petrollium products in the near future.But I guess that might still be a bit to far to think ahead at the moment.

The one issue with this is that it takes more energy to turn the water into H + O than you get from burning it. So, not really a solution to the energy problem.

Oh yes it is! The idea is to use e.g. solar energy or another clean energy source to decompose H2O to dihydrogen and oxygen. You can then transfer these chemicals to a car with a fuel cell engine. And with a fuel cell you don’t have to ignite the hydrogen! You let the dihydrogen and oxygen react with each other and create water again. Completely clean!

And there actually exist a lot of fuel cell cars! One of them is the Peugeot Quark.

Posted Image

The Peugeot Quark fuel car

It has a maximum speed of 110 km/h (68 mph) and it can drive about 100 km with its 9 L tank.

So this technology can be used seriously!

I love the idea of clean burning fuel ideas for cars... I just hope eventually they actually catch on and get powerful enough and saturate the market enough to force the general populace to start moving over to them. Without some of the big gas guzzling countries making a hard push for e-cars, they will have trouble making a difference

The prroblem about having alternative gas is that the oil industry for cars is so huge, that the market is forcing car companies to not switch to a cleaner fuel. If the world signs a petition, maybe this can trigger something good in the economyxboxrulz

All this talking about green cars is great, and it would be excellent to find a good alternative to polluting fossil fuels and thus top global warming, but in case you didn't notice the water is pumped with 220 volts of electricity, which will probably be produced in a fossil fuel powered poer plant.Also, if any of you bothered to check the link you'd see he copied and pasted the entire thing.

Besides all that, I would be afraid carrying a tank with hydrogen in my car. It is very dangerous to handle hydrogen, even if in case of disaster it would be a very clean disaster : no pollution, only making water when burning hydrogen will combine to oxygen.

If we are using LP gas and alcohol for cars, there must be nothing against using Hydrogen as a fuel. Gas alcohol and Hydrogen all of them can cause massive disasters if they catch fire. But the safety standards are better and since there is a tendency to make eco friendly cars, in the future alternative power sources will take the world. (I wish it's now fuel prices!)
The electrolysis process for making oxygen and hydrogen from water is well used in the industry. What I can't believe is that they used just 220V for the process. Splitting water should have needed much more energy than 220V can supply. It would be great if this becomes possible. Instead of using a splitter inside a car, it's better to do that in a power plant and then release Hydrogen as a fuel. I think that process is used for todays hydrogen cars.

All this talking about green cars is great, and it would be excellent to find a good alternative to polluting fossil fuels and thus top global warming, but in case you didn't notice the water is pumped with 220 volts of electricity, which will probably be produced in a fossil fuel powered poer plant.

Fossil fuel is not only the source of generating electricity. In our country the largest source is hydroelectricity. There are other eco friendly methods like generating from wind, tides etc. I think nuclear power is the best "eco friendly" method for generating electricity. It's much cleaner than fossil fuel. If we can use the fusion process like in the sun we would get an nearly unlimited power source. :D

Fossil fuel is not only the source of generating electricity. In our country the largest source is hydroelectricity. There are other eco friendly methods like generating from wind, tides etc. I think nuclear power is the best "eco friendly" method for generating electricity. It's much cleaner than fossil fuel. If we can use the fusion process like in the sun we would get an nearly unlimited power source. :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, fossil fuel is the biggest energy we use today, without it the world would be in chaos, however, I do agree with you that nuclear power is environmentally fiendly, even though it can be very dangerous and radioactive!

I have an idea that when the Fossil fuels get almost completly run dry the "eco friendly" fuels will suddenly become "widely available" almost overnight. The worlds car manufacturers as well as the major Power Companies have known for quite some time that they will need alternatives to the fossil fuels we currently use in large amounts do to the fact that they are not a reneuable resource.With the slow advent and of "geo friendly" cars and the fact that tech in other areas has grown faster then in the automobile industry, how can these techs not be crossing into the vehicles we drive faster? The answer to this is as stated in a previous post, the big oil companies don't want it out there in great numbers due to the fact that they would lose almost all of their income.I personally beleive that they are holding off till the last minute then they will flood the market with these "green tech" vehicles that they will some how have been able to by the patents to so as to maintain their strangle hold on the worlds energy markets.I must say though that this is all large leaps of fancy and a almost religous beleif in world wide conspirisies. :D

Well, fossil fuel is the biggest energy we use today, without it the world would be in chaos, however, I do agree with you that nuclear power is environmentally fiendly, even though it can be very dangerous and radioactive!

I agree that the world may go into chaos without fossil fuels. But the danger of relying on fossil fuel was pointed out by many organizations and scientists. We should have taken their advice and shifted towards alternative power sources. Also If not for nuclear power, the remaining fossil fuel must be delpted by now and we should be living in a nightmare.