xisto Community
kevlar557

On The Search For A Good Broadband Router Wired or Wireless?

This is kind of related to my last post on VoIP. Like I said, I'm getting cable internet in the next month, and I'm going to have to put up some kind of network. I'm in a rather large pinch. With running a wireless network, I will not have to run any wires, and I can use my laptop anywhere. The only problem is, is that the walls in my house are made of cement block, so my signal will not be the greatest.With a wired network, there will not be a significant signal loss when going from room to room, but I have to figure out how to run the wires through the cement block. I also need to get a router with at least 8 ports to run my computers, printers, and mabye the VoIP. Can someone give me some recommendations on which way to go, and mabye a router to buy?

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Well, on my personal experience:

I have a DI-524, at first it was awful, it didn't worked!!!!

But then, D-Link published an update and it working great!!!!

My hpoue is made out of brick and cement, it has 5 level and the router (located on the 4th level) covers my whole house, but the signal does decrease.....

From what i've read....

You (and me 2 for that matter) get a RangeMax Wireless Router from Netgear

See it at http://www.netgear.com/promotions/2005/rangemax.php

The promo netgear gives on it:

1000% more wireless coverage, up to 10x that of standard 802.11g RangeMax Smart MIMO technology
7 internal antennas adapt on the fly to the interference and physical barriers in your home to eliminate wireless dead spots
Maintain High Speeds â RangeMax maintains your high speed throughout your home, not just when you are close to your router
100% Compatible - unlike competing MIMO products, RangeMax works well with non-RangeMax products and even improves performance of existing 802.11b, 802.11g, Centrino, and SuperG⢠wireless clients up to 50%

Well, maybe some one has one and would like to participate?

it costs Sale: $139.99 on the http://www.buynetgear.com/

but here:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

you can find a price range from $98.00 to $145.00

Hope this helps!

just find any linksys.. i've had 2 (no the the other didn't break down i simply have 2 networks *long story*) anywho their really easy to set up and really stable... easy for changing settings too

I have a LinkSys WAG54G V.2 . It is very good - both WiFi and wired - very simple admin too. It is simple to set up port forwarding and really easy to secure your network.It also let's you block sites on the network level, as well as Java, ActiveX and cookies. You can even deny certain computers access to the network on certain days! It also has VPN.A very good router - but a little pricey.

To the original query,Only run a CAT5 network if you're sure there's no other solution. The wiring will be a nightmare otherwise. No one wants to drill, and being exposed is terrible. If your home is small, start with a $60 Linksys model. If it is large, that netgear product suggested is intriguing. Don't blow that extra $80 dollars unless necessary, though, since you'll need that cash to put the printer on the network.A suggestion: purchase from a local large vendor, who carries both the Linksys and Netgear; nobody sets up these nets properly, and opened products are returned all the time. Buy the cheap one first, and spend a week testing it. If it works great; if not, go trade in yours for that sport model. Just be nice to the orig. packaging. Good luck.