xisto Community
cyborgxxi

Is Anyone Familiar With Phoenix-Award BIOS

My computer is really old. Well, my case, CPU, power supply, and the motherboard are. Here is the proof:Case: 4 years oldCPU: 4 years old - Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz [can't believe Pentium 4 was out four years ago...]Power Supply: 170 Watts!!Motherboard: Doesn't have USB 2.0But that's not the case - my BIOS!!*My BIOS cannot overclock--Not even the clock speed of the CPU--Not even the FBS and RAM things...*Seldom gets the blue screen of uber death regarding 'Go to http://www.hardware-update.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t and update your BIOS. While installing, please press some key for silent mode'... or something like that.If anyone is familiar with BIOS systems, can you tell me how to update this thing? Or must I buy a new CPU? Or a motherboard?Thanks!

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

First thing to do is to find out wich motherboard you have (brand + type), that's realy important because you just can't flash any BIOS you find.
Then you'll have too look for a newer BIOS that allows overclocking.

Now, if you have a brand pc (packard bell, hp, ...) then you probably won't find a good BIOS.

There is also a program called CPUFSB wich allows you to overclock your computer by accessing the clock directly. You can alter FSB and RAM (at the same time tough) but no voltages or anything else.

Here is the link: http://www.cpufsb.de/

Ahh .. well i suggest u first get to know what BIOS u using .. for that therz a software u could use >( CLICK )< .. nice piece of software i came accross when i wanted to do the same .. but since my motherboard manufacturer stopped providing drivers for my part . i bought a new motherboard ..

Well to come back .. all u could do is run this proggy .. get ur bios number and name .. go on google and hit the search .. hopfully u mite find driver updates for ur BIOS .. But let me remind u " Make shure u know what ur doing .. u mite make ur whole system useless if u mess with the BIOS without reading stuff around "

have fun ..

Wait a minute. Make sure I know what I'm doing? Hmm... Am I messing with my BIOS if I am updating it? I mean, I am not going to change any settings or anything. That's okay, right?

Also, I am going to need to overclock my RAM. Maybe not my CPU because it I believe it heats up a lot.

Edit: Here is my BIOS info!

Program:  eSupport.com BIOS Agent Version 3.45BIOS Date: 09/09/02
BIOS Type: Phoenix-Award BIOS v6.00PG
BIOS ID:  09/09/2002-SiS-651-6A6IXE19C
OEM Sign-On: L4S5MG3 Ver1.0 09/09/2002
Chipset:  SiS 651 rev 1
Superio:  ITE 8705/SiS 950 rev 2 found at port 2Eh
CPU:      Intel Pentium® 4 2000 Mhz
BIOS ROM In Socket: Yes
BIOS ROM Size:      256K
Memory Installed:  1280 MB
Memory Maximum:    4096 MB
Memory Slot 01:    1024 MB
Memory Slot 02:    256 MB
Memory Slot 03:    0 MB
Memory Slot 04:    0 MB

eSupport.com, Inc.
1-800-800-BIOS (2467)
http://www.esupport.com/

Err... so what now?

you're pretty screwed with that motherboard. It's an ECS L4S5MG3, and the only Elitegroup mobo I know that could overclock good is the K7S5A(l).
Now, I guess this is the BIOS you'll need: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ .
(wait till more people agree).

Now, about messing with the BIOS. Upgrading (=flashing) is more dangerous than just messing around with some setting. When you flash the wrong BIOS, or when flashing fails (error, power down while flashig), you're motherboard is dead. The only thing you can do then is finding a motherboard with the same sort of BIOSchip and hotflash yours with it.

//edit; have you rebooted after installing cpucool ??? Ow, and try CPUfsb, much better for oc'ing, because CPUCool won't remember anything when you close it.

Yeap .. well what wutske said is right .. messing with ur mobo unless u know sumthing abt it or abt ur hardware isnt a problem .. and besides .. do u "really" need to flash ur bios ? .. i mean even i would love to keep my computer stats uptodate .. but bios is sumthing i really wouldent bother .. Well as far as the link wutske provided .. i dunt think u should have a problem .. if i were in ur state .. i would put my mobo tru a *crash* test .. lol .. no but seriousely .. u should give it a thought .. unles ur suffering tru a serious problem like shutdowns while starting up any peculiar noise ur pc makes tru that internal speaker etc .. if ur problem can be solved by a format .. plz go on and do the format .. but the choice is urz .. :DLet us know the out come ..

Yeap .. well what wutske said is right .. messing with ur mobo unless u know sumthing abt it or abt ur hardware isnt a problem .. and besides .. do u "really" need to flash ur bios ? .. i mean even i would love to keep my computer stats uptodate .. but bios is sumthing i really wouldent bother ..

Well as far as the link wutske provided .. i dunt think u should have a problem .. if i were in ur state .. i would put my mobo tru a *crash* test .. lol .. no but seriousely .. u should give it a thought .. unles ur suffering tru a serious problem like shutdowns while starting up any peculiar noise ur pc makes tru that internal speaker etc .. if ur problem can be solved by a format .. plz go on and do the format .. but the choice is urz .. :D

Let us know the out come ..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He want's to flash his BIOS because he'd like to overclock his cpu and memory.

He want's to flash his BIOS because he'd like to overclock his cpu and memory.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ouch .. sorry .. my bad .. didnt read that right .. but if m not mistaken flashing his BIOS wouldent do him any good would it ? i mean the overclocking power does depend on the type of BIOS he has .. not the software .. plz correct me if m wrong .. cause i tried to do this once with my old pc .. and i had to go tru lot of forums to get my answer .. but finally i changed my pc completely from scratch lol .. but my problem was just update the bios to keep my stats uptodate ..

Wait. I never said I was going to flash/upgrade my BIOS because I wanted to overclock my RAM and CPU. I get the blue screen of death - after my computer just shuts off power by itself, sometimes. It's really frustrating because I have to run Norton GoBack and restore my drive. It happens every other month or so.

Anyway, here is what I get. Not running much applications but my CPU is at 48 degrees celcius. Is that fine?

Posted Image

Edit: Also, I made up my mind: I am not going to upgrade by BIOS because I don't understand the risks and all that.

Anyway, why program do I need to overclock my CPU/RAM/FBS?

***IMPORTANT***

While I'm playing some graphinc/memory-intense games, like Battlefield 2, something weird happens every now and then. While I'm moving forward, something happens. I change directions to strafe left to avoid an enemy but I keep moving forward. No matter how many times I press the 'A' button (for strafing left), I keep going forward. Sometimes, my computer would make a "beep" sound (not the speakers... the computer). If I scroll my mouse scroller, it would make continuous "beep" sounds. After 2~5 seconds, I can freely move around. That "beep" sounds don't come anymore until 5~10 minutes later. What's wrong?

I heard from my friend that my CPU is at something like 80 degrees celcius. Is that true? What should I do? o_O

Wait. I never said I was going to flash/upgrade my BIOS because I wanted to overclock my RAM and CPU. I get the blue screen of death - after my computer just shuts off power by itself, sometimes. It's really frustrating because I have to run Norton GoBack and restore my drive. It happens every other month or so.

Anyway, here is what I get. Not running much applications but my CPU is at 48 degrees celcius. Is that fine?

Posted Image

Edit: Also, I made up my mind: I am not going to upgrade by BIOS because I don't understand the risks and all that.

Anyway, why program do I need to overclock my CPU/RAM/FBS?

***IMPORTANT***

While I'm playing some graphinc/memory-intense games, like Battlefield 2, something weird happens every now and then. While I'm moving forward, something happens. I change directions to strafe left to avoid an enemy but I keep moving forward. No matter how many times I press the 'A' button (for strafing left), I keep going forward. Sometimes, my computer would make a "beep" sound (not the speakers... the computer). If I scroll my mouse scroller, it would make continuous "beep" sounds. After 2~5 seconds, I can freely move around. That "beep" sounds don't come anymore until 5~10 minutes later. What's wrong?

I heard from my friend that my CPU is at something like 80 degrees celcius. Is that true? What should I do? o_O

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If your cpu realy runs at 80°c when loaded, I guess you should check the CPU cooler, because that's not a normal temp for an old P4. That might also be the same reason why you're having the other problems, because P4's throttle (slow down) when they get to hot, this might cause windows to hang for a while.

Hey cyborgxxi ..y dunt u try removing ur PC side panel and keep the whole of ur PC on the table beside ur monitor .. so basically it should be kept on ur right so that u can have a view of all the parts inside while u work .. now thats what m doing at the present cause my fan is kinda cracky .. and it stops due to accumilation of dust and when that happens .. as wutske said .. ur pc starts to slow down .. it lags and finally it shuts down .. now if ur goin tru the same problem .. then i suggest u keep ur PC this way to have a look at whats goin on b4 u get shut down .. if its ur fan that stopps all of a sudden .. then i suggest u buy a new CPU fan .. hope this helped ya out .. Cheers

Alright. So, that's what you call it? A computer hang? Hmm... alright then.

First of all, I would like to show you some pictures. Don't forget to click on the thumbnail to read the stuff I wrote. :D

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Hmm... but more questions:

1. What does CPUCool do? Does it really cool my CPU?

2. I want to overclock my CPU (Battlefield 2 requires at least 1.7 GHz but I have 1.9. I think that's slowing down the Frame Per Second but I'm not sure if RAM is slowing it down too) What programs can I use?

3. Remember that my BIOS doesn't show any options about overclocking

1. CPUCool does make your cpu run cooler when it's idle, but I tought it was more a feature for AthlonXP/Duron CPUs.
If you want to monitor temperatures, I'd suggest you to use something like Speedfan, Hardware Monitor or MBM5 (wich isn't being developed anymore).

2. http://www.cpufsb.de/
https://www.4psa.com/error_pages/not_found.html (this page is a bit outdated tough, 2002 :D )
You might also think about overclocking your graka:
http://www.guru3d.com/content-page/rivatuner.html

3.done :P