xisto Community
yungblood

Does Anyone Every Play Pen & Paper Rpg Anymore ? Pen Paper RPGs

Does anyone still play RPGs with pen & paper?  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey, does anyone every play Pen & Paper RPG's anymore?Here's the ones I play: D&D v3.5 Everquest I L5R (original ver, not D20) Star Wars (original ver, not D20) Battle BotsI have alot of fun playing them, and I wish I could find more players. I also enjoy playing them thru IRC when I can find people that play.Please let me know if you enjoy playing.--YB

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Thats a big N O for me, EMO and Scene people don't do things like that, but I do have a friend that plays the D&D thing or whatever it is, actually come to think of it I haven't seen him in about a month. He is probably still playing, last I heard he game up on his online gaming habit just to play that D&D thing, and he dresses up as his character just to play.

Heck, I am a Star Wars fanatic. Thus, I play the original D6 system of Star Wars pen & paper role-playing game. I am a young Jedi and currently wield a lightsaber (I think I got another one from my friend).

It's pretty good. I also play Dungeons and Dragons with a small group of friends (note that I play these two RPGs with the same friends and for Star Wars, my US history teacher is the game master). I get bogged down on D&D because you always have to refer to the sourcebook - you have to look at the rules, exceptions, damage, criticals, etc etc.

Or maybe you can just photocopy it. LOL

He is probably still playing, last I heard he game up on his online gaming habit just to play that D&D thing, and he dresses up as his character just to play.

I dressed up as a Jedi with my friend during a special school day (twins day). We looked exactly the same, except that my robe was brown and his was blue. We each had a lightsaber held on to our pants. COOL!!

i play an old version(v 2 i think) of Champions! My chars named Stingray because he uses Electricity(he was a victim of gene-splicing and got Amplified Stingray Genes). I enjoy it alot, and so do my 2 little brothers: Telestriker and Magenar

What the heck is a pen and paper rpg? Is it something like a board game like monopoly or cluedo?

What the heck is a pen and paper rpg? Is it something like a board game like monopoly or cluedo?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Imagine being able to play a video game (one that you play a character) without a video game system. One person controls the "world" of the game, and everyone else playing is a character. It's kind of like the computer games that are played online where everyone runs a character.

Dice are used to see if what you try succeeds, and if it does, how well it succeeds. For instance, I tell the "game master" that I am swinging a sword at a bad guy. I roll a 20 sided dice, add the number that comes up with some numbers on my sheet that represents how good I am with a sword. The game master then compares that number to the number the bad guy has that represents both his skill at dodging, and the armor he is wearing. If I rolled higher than his number, I hit him. I would then roll another dice to see how hard I hit him. The total number of "hit points" of damage I do to him are then subtracted from his life points. When his life points go below 0, he is out of the fight (possibly dead, in standard d20 games, death is at -10). And so the game goes, and you get to explore dungeons, mazes, cities, castles, and whatever else the game master has prepared for you. In many ways it is just like what happens when you play a computer game, just without the computer :D

-YB

Oh... so that's what a pen and paper RPG is :D. Thanks YB. I never did play paper and pen RPGs. I do believe I've seen it being played in cartoons, but I never knew that it was called a paper and pen RPG.

I like to play D&D v.3.5. That is the only one that I play. I mainly do the Forgotten Realms campaign, but the DM of my group just decided to make his own world. It should be interesting. We start this Monday, I think. What are the other rpgs? And which one do you think is best?Thanks,Wazz :D

Does anybody know DSA? It´s a German PnP, with a quite good world and though its commercialized recently a lot, it resembles a kinda interesting approach to Role-playing. Here in Germany there are many players of this games, and some who play the game from its very beginning in 1970-something.

Does anybody know DSA? It´s a German PnP, with a quite good world and though its commercialized recently a lot, it resembles a kinda interesting approach to Role-playing. Here in Germany there are many players of this games, and some who play the game from its very beginning in 1970-something.

1064334414[/snapback]

No, I haven't heard of DSA. Where can I find out more about it? I always like to learn more about RPG's :D My personally favorite is Rifts (Palladium System). It's alot more flexable than D&D, but it's not that much more complex. The only thing I don't like about Rifts is the number of books you need to get. Although you don't need them all (I played with 12 books), I believe there are about 40 books to get. And that's just for character classes, and basic equipment. It's split up to different parts of the earth.

But it is so much fun!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

-YB

There is a group of us that play just about every weekend, and we usually have about 6-8 people show each game. We usually take turns DMing (or GM/ST), so we have a broad range of systems that we play. The majority is usually from the d20 system, Greyhawk (stock D&D), Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, and even a Dark Sun campaign modified for 3.5. I run a World of Darkness game and someone runs a Mutants and Masterminds game as well. It sounds geeky (ok it doesn't sound, it is), but Indianapolis is home to GenCon, so we go there every year as well. PnP gaming is alive and well, I assure you.

There is a group of us that play just about every weekend, and we usually have about 6-8 people show each game.  We usually take turns DMing (or GM/ST), so we have a broad range of systems that we play.  The majority is usually from the d20 system, Greyhawk (stock D&D), Forgotten Realms, Dragonlance, and even a Dark Sun campaign modified for 3.5.  I run a World of Darkness game and someone runs a Mutants and Masterminds game as well.  It sounds geeky (ok it doesn't sound, it is), but Indianapolis is home to GenCon, so we go there every year as well.  PnP gaming is alive and well, I assure you.

1064334832[/snapback]

That's good to hear :D I haven't been able to find a group where I moved to, but I have played for years with one group that at one point was up to 12 people :D Now that's a blast playing with that many, but it takes a really good dm, and experienced players to make it work smoothly ;)

-YB

I do not know if it really applies, but I tend to play the online version of the Pen and Paper versions of the D&D3.5e. I am tied to the Forgotten Realms because I started playing with the 3rd edition of the game.

Most of the time though I play online using OPEN RPG which is pretty cool and I play mostly on sunday nights. Now I have not had a campaign that lasted a year but I still like to play.

I actually think that it would be nice to create my own world and host Play by Posts boards one day but it is a lot of work. And I haven't decidided if I will take on that task.

I also love Arcana Evolved which is just a great gaming system.