xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
xboxrulz1405241485

New Planet Discovered! 2003UB313

Well, by July 29th a new planet has been discovered and it is double Pluto's size! The temporary name for this planet is 2003UB313. The proposed name is: Lila (or Lilah)

For more information check out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003UB313

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

xboxrulz

Aweseome, thank you for posting this, it's cool that planet's keep getting discovered. I wonder how many planets there are. I really could get started on rambling on all this junk about how many planet there could be, how much they would differ and be simmiliar to us, but... I don't want to start an alien debate (or do I?... :D)But really, how many planet do you think exsist, it could be thousands, or millions. Possibly billions. We can't really tell, because we don't know how big the universe is, or even any clue as to tell us how many there are.The article named the planet as "Planet Lila".Are there any pictures of the planet? I should have watched the news, I would have loved to see their article about it, I'm a much better listen er than I am a reader, I really don't have to read things that are very long. My posts for instance... :P

When I heard about this, I felt a bit surprised, a bit delighted. To realise that for thousands of years nobody knew about this planet, and two years ago suddenly people saw it. I wonder how it comes that it wasn't noticed before. But that's probably because I think of the universe and the satellites that float in it are like a car park with surveillance cameras. But it still is strange, that we already discovered hundreds of planets outside our solar system and we missed our own tenth planet. Maybe there are other planets in our solar system.And even though I am delighted, I still find it odd that we explore space, whilst we haven't even discovered all about our own planet. Of course there are different inverstigating people, some interrested in Earth and some interrested in the universe, but it seems not right.Imagine somebody from Equador who comes to the US and starts asking loads of questions about the United Stated. After you answered them you ask things about Equador and he says 'I don't know. I just know where the airport is. And my own village.' Would you think that dude is sane? But that doesn't mean we should quickly forget everything we know of space. It just means that there should be some Earth-form of NASA, investigating the oceans and mountains and so on. My Greenpeace-level has duplicated several times, but why not? What do you think about that?

To answer Moody's question. I think the discovery of the 2003UB313 was because when it orbit, it came closer to the rest of the solar system. Refer to the Wikipedia NASA orbit diagram. It takes 2003UB313 560 earth years to orbit once around the sun.xboxrulz

You know I've always wondered who gets to name the planet.  Is it the first person to find out?  Because planets like Saturn and Jupitar was based of Greek Gods?  Correct me if I am wrong.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure about who exactly gets to name them. But yeah, all of the planets, actually, were named after Greek gods...

I think I've already heard that there should be another planet in our solar system, and the scientist though it was strange that it's not presend :D And now here it is !:P Finally discovered! Well done!:P Although when I see the orbit it looks veeery different compared to other planets' orbites... heh, quite unique tho...

Yes, it is a great discovery, findind a new planet on the outter boundries of the Solar System. Now it makes me wonder what does that mean for us?And it also makes me wonder exactly how many more planets there are left to be discovered in our system alone.

I don't think Lila is its proposed name, on the news it said the name to be chosen will be kept secret until it's official, so we probably wouldn't know about it.Moody: It's hard to discover a planet. You have to look at every point in space. The new planet was discovered when the astronomers saw that it was moving faster than the others, so you'd need to take pictures of the planet over a period of time in order to see if it's moving.

Just looking at some diagrams of the planet orbits (and now this new one)... It looks as though Pluto and this other new planet could just space debris caught by pure accident in our Sun's gravity. I mean, whenever or however the Universe was created, the first 8 Planets blew out of the center (the Sun) as sort of a flat disk (in relation to their orbits). Pluto kind of goes helter-skelter through Neptune's orbit at a slight angle, and this new planet is totally off in its own little world... so to speak.

Posted Image

Just using basic Physics, and using a X,Y,Z plane... if you put the first 8 orbits up, they would be parallel to the x,y plane, velocity in that plane. Pluto and this new planet have an additional Z velocity which is perpendicular to the x,y plane. Now, with forces, (if I can remember my college physics class, please correct me if I'm mistaken), the axis are independent when it comes to external forces. Let me give an example. You throw a ball in the air along a parabolic path.

Posted Image

^Truck is going at a constant horizontal speed, and as you can see, so is the ball, despite slowing down and speeding up vertically.

There are two dimensions here. X being horizontal, and Y being vertical. The force used to launch the ball can be broken down into those two components... A X force, and a Y force. When you change one, the other one is unaffected. This can be applied to a ball. Gravity is a force acting on it in the Y direction. It is pulling the ball down. The horizontal speed, velocity in the X (horizontal) direction, is not affected (unless by a second source of force such as wind resistance or a wall). The speed of the ball in the Y direction is affected due to the constant force of gravity causes accelleration in the vertical direction. When you think it's "suspended in mid-air" for that brief moment that it reaches the very top of the parabola, it is, in fact, still moving the exact same speed horizontally as it was the entire time...... If Pluto has an additional Z velocity, it would be comparable to having some force "hit" the ball as it flew through mid-air perpendicularly to the x,y plane (imagine sticking a pencil straight out from your computer screen, that's the Z axis compared to the left/right axis and up/down axis)

ANYWAY, the whole point of all this was that if whatever forces caused the first 8 planets to begin orbiting the sun, it was on a horizontal axis (x,y) these two planets furthest out have Z velocity. Since each component of force is independent, either these two planets hit something, or they were (in my opinion) hurtling through space from some other explosion at the beginning of the universe, and got caught at an angle, rotating in our solar system. So though they may still be planets, they may be planets from entirely different solar systems... Thus, exploration of these planets might be greatly beneficial as to determine how planets formed in other parts of the galaxy! Chemical makeup and whatnot.

Here's is a cool page on NASA's site on the planet. They have a 3D simulation of the orbiting planets:

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/orbits/2003ub313.html

Check it out, you'll see what I was talking about better in 3D.

it might be true that these are just foreign objects, or when they were released, the gravity pull weakened, therefore causing the extra z axis.There's really strange things that happens to the Universe as we're not the only ones.xboxrulz

Thats great to hear that there are planets out there... As we already know there should be millions of planets out there in millions of different galaxies... I think we should focus more on finding a way to visit these different planets first before we even look for more planets... To me there are no reason to discover more if we cant even travel to the planets nearby to earth... Possibly by having all scientists and researchers focus on one goal only that is to travel to the nearby planets, we would accomplish that in the near future... I think sometimes they are too focus about putting their name on the newly discoverred planets they forget everything comes in increments... To focus and research on traveling to nearby planets as a whole would possibly help us learn more in our life time, instead of waiting another hundreds or thousands of years to do anything beyond earth... Thats just my interpretation of all this.. it might be wrong... I would still congratulate all the scientists and researchers who had invested countless amount of effort into improving our lives and our future... Thanks...Chin chin..

It doesn't really mean anything for us. We can't really live in it. We'll freeze to death!! That's obvious, isn't it? :DAnyway, that planet shouldn't be called Lila or Lilah. They should name it after a Greek god because it would sound much cooler. I mean think of this.Mercury: RebeccaVenus: LilyEarth: ThompsonMars: Redhead-BillySaturn: Pringle (named after a dog or chips)Jupiter: ErykUranus: Son of MaskNeptune: MilahPluto: JilahNew Planet: LilahBah, I would send hundreds of hatemails to the ones who name the planets as those!! I swear!!