xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
VindicoPopulus

Freebsd Burning & Installation Problems

I had freeBSD. I just didnt work out. I burned it correctly like I do with all my other linux stuff ( i know, BSD is unix) but It just stops on the second cd and makes strange sounds. I've given up hope and just moved on to Connectiva.

Notice from qwijibow:
moved to the BSD section, you will probably got more relevant help here.
Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Connectiva.

And what is Connectiva ? Is it another Linux distro ? I didn't hear about this distro yet. I would personnally say that, if you never tried installing a Unix distro, openBSD is not the easiest one. Maybe you should startup with Mandrake, which installation from first-CD-boot is somehow easier, and the default settings work for most of the cases.
By the way, beeping on the second CD probably means "please insert CD 3" with problems on the graphic display drivers.
Regards
Yordan

The thing about getting isos online is you have to make sure you get all of it or it doesnt get corrupted. I just downloaded and installed freeBSD 7 on my computer and it ran great. I do with that they had a dvd iso to download instead of using 3 cds to do the same thing. Another thing you could so would be to get the liveCD version so you can play around with it. The cool thing about the liveCD you dont have to partition your hard drive or put a second hard drive in your computer. You can also setup the installer to download the files needed for install if you want to do a light install of freeBSD then use the ports to get the rest of the software that you need. Hope this helps you a little. Also check out Phlak; it is one of the best liveCDs of linux out there.