xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
soleimanian

Windows Services: Performance Boost By Turning Off

Optimize and speed up your Windows XPIf you have Windows XP and your computer does not connected to any Network and have single user, you can disable some of windows services safely.First, Click Start > click Control Panel > click Administrative Tools > click ServicesAnd disable below services safely:Alerter Clipbook Computer Browser Fast User Switching Human Interface Access Devices Indexing Service Messenger Net Logon Netmeeting Remote Desktop Sharing Remote Desktop Help Session Manager Remote Procedure Call Locator Remote Registry Routing & Remote Access Server SSDP Discovery Service TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper Telnet Universal Plug and Play Device Host Upload Manager Windows Time Wireless Zero Configuration Workstation

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Nice, this is exactly what I used when I was playing Doom 3. :D. Had to borrow an extra 256MB RAM from a friend and then disable all these services to be able to have a smooth fps of 20 (maximum).

Yeah I dont really need to do this at all, but I do anyway. I like to squeeze every last drop out of my machine! I'm a bit of a nazi when it comes to having services running that I dont want running. Its the same with all those programs that try to add themselves to your startup. It really annoys me. Why would I need Microsoft Office, or Adobe CS2 to load itself up at startup if I only intend to come on to play games? Maybe I could setup different user logins, one with gaming stuff installed, one with graphics, etc... Would this work? Is it possible to make things load on startup only for specific users? Same could be said with services, can you do the same thing? Or are each of these things global and for all users?

Disabling Services that one doesn't require is a good way to increase resources on your Windows PC. Here's a good guide to services.

Without a doubt, please back up your Registry before and after making changes and be sure to name your backups in an easy-to-recognize manner. Also write down what services you have enabled/disabled so you can keep track of them.

Lastly, it makes things simpler and there's less of a chance of screwing something up if you first ask if you're evne slightly unsure about what a particular thing is.