xisto Community
gunbound

Help: Running Processes - Minimize These are my processes, what can I do?

Posted Image

Here's a screenshot of all the processes my computer runs, plus some more stats at the bottom.

Can anyone give me some advice about all these processes. A friend once told me that this is a lot of processes to run. If I could minimize the number of them my comp should run better, no? I don't know what most of these do, but I do know how to stop them by using Run > msconfig.

What are these, what do they do, and which can I avoid using? And is there anything I could learn about Commit Charge, Physical Memory, and Kernel Memory? - I know nothing about these things.

A lot of the processes are probably for Norton, but I think it would be best to leave those alone, no?

Thanks for the help.

the only ones that u could safely remove are the ones started by "son" note how i said safely. u could still get rid of someof the others. i will list what they are all. after that , u can decide which ones are okay do end.wdfmgr.exe is part of Microsoft Windows media player 10 and above. this process decreases compatibility problems while the product is in use. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.svchost (this ones important) is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. so dont end it or all hell will brake loose. no matter how many of them there are. PUT THE MOUSE DOWN AND STEP AWAY FROM THE PROCESS!alg is a part of the Microsoft Windows operating system. It is a big kahunna process for Microsoft Windows Internet Connection sharing and Internet connection firewall. dont end this one either.iexplore is Microsoft Windows Internet Explorer. you can end it if u want, but it will close the ie window.taskmgr is a big humungous duh. only it does take a little more CPU then i think it should....System Idle Process tells u how much CPU u have left. its not a process and cant be killed.uh oh.... your in trouble now... system is NOT a system process. it is a TROJAN ahhhhh!!!! now attakers can gain access to your computer. try as hard as u can to remove it as soon as possible and c if u cant trak it down and kill it entirely.NPROTECT is a process that adds an extra layer of protection to the recycle bin. Leave untouched. If you want to remove it, do so via the Norton Utilities? control screen.NAVAPSVC is like the whole Norten thing protecter mabober so dont touch it unless u get a craving to kill ur antivirus protection (which, im sad to say, dosn't seem to be working. look at system)savscan is nortan crapso is sndsrvc (nortan crap)symlcsvc MORE FRIEKEN NORTAN CRAPsmss is a system process that is a part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System. It is called the Session Manager SubSystem and is responsible for handling sessions on your system. so dont kill it. it might come back from "dead process hell" and KILL YOU!!!wow i am writing alot...csrss is a process that manages most graphical commands in Windows. so dont end it unless you want to make windows look like $*!t or, more likly, get the dreaded blue screen of death. WinLogon is the Windows NT login manager. It handles the login and logout procedures on your system. This process is an essential part of your OS and should be left alone. Please just dont even go there...services is a part of the Microsoft Windows Operating System and manages the operation of starting and stopping services. This process also deals with the automatic starting of services during the comptuers boot-up and the stopping of servicse during shut-down. it makes things go.lsass deals mainly with windows local security and logon policies. i think u should just leave all the ones with *bottom* in them aloneccevtmgr is even more nortan crap. Nortan is a frieken resource hog.OMFG i thought i was done with nortan but i guess not. symwsc is another nortan process.spoolsv is a process that manages the Microsoft Windows Spooling to your local printing.ccproxy k i give up. i will just accept that nortan is a *BLEEP*IN RESOURCE HOG!ccsetmgr is more $&!t from nortan.cisvc helps prevent low memory problemsHOLY CRAP THAT TOOK A LONG TIME!! oh well now u can decide for yourself what to end. i will answer ur other questions later.

dang. i had to go and forget some. oh well here are the ones i forgot.ccap is nortan stuff that keeps your comp safe from internet boud attacksctfmon is part of the microsoft office suite. it helps with some language stuff and the languge bar.explorer is the Windows Program Manager or Windows Explorer. It manages the Windows Graphical Shell including the Start menu, taskbar, desktop, and File Manager. By removing this process the graphical interface for Windows will disappear.

I WAS GOING TO SAY SOME. BUTE CARROT ALREADY TOLD MOST OF IT YOU CAN CLOSE EVERTHING SAYING SON AND YOU CAN CLOSE NPROTECT WHICH WILL SHUTDOWN NORTON ANTI VIRUS SYSTEM.

whyme says: please refrain from using all capitals on your posts, it's common respect.

Wow, thank you so much!Is it really?! I'm suprised that I have a Trojan. I scan and have updates but Norton apparently can't find it. So how can I get rid of it? I can't find system.exe with windows search. And there are loads of results from just "system".I really appreciate the help so far. Please help some more.

You can start with the PestPatrol scan, they don't remove anything... (they want you to pay for that) but the online scan is fairly accurate and you will get a place to start from.
Link is in upper right hand corner of page.

You can download NAI stinger, this finds some pests that NAV are not even looking for, Norton wants to sell the system suite so the AV don't detect TROJANS Download stinger from here

I made a post on malware / pest /trojan removal on Xisto.com
Pest removal

Nils

well guess what. i have that exact same trojan and i cant just end the process. AHHHHHH oh well. ill figure it out eventuly. so ya, those other antivirus programs are pretty good. although i dont know why no one even mentioned Avast! it is awsome. i use it. oh and there is one more online scanner. its like penguin scanner or panda scanner or something. NO I WONT GO FIND THE LINK......god ur persuasive fine ill do it. .......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
k it is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ that is a good one. Also it would be a good idea to like go get adaware of something. n e way im leaving now. ill talk about those thingeys at the bottom of ur pic when i get to it (i hope)

I was wondering if anyone had an answer on how to erase the trojan called "System" in your running processes. Nobody has replied to this thread in months, and this thing is really slowing me down. I have tried alot of things. Downloaded the links mentioned above, with no luck. Also downloaded a program called TrojanHunter, which i thought would do the trick but still it did nothing. I am pretty sure that there is a file that is connected to this virus on my computer. It is under my Temp file and it is called Perflib_Perfdata_a00.dat. It wont erase, it says it is currently in use by another process. I disconnected my internet connection and tried to erase and it didnt work. I did a system restore to way back, and the "System" was still there. Full scan with Norton comes up with nothing.If anyone has any idea on how to fix this it would be much appriciated. This thing is a pain.