xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
crs_cwiz1405241504

Freelancer: The Forgotten Game

Any one remember this game? It's been over 4 years since this game has been released, but i still haven't found a single game that measures up in comparision. for the uninitiated - here's the history

Freelancer was a massive project started by microsoft way back in 1998, when they decided to make the ultimate space fighter game. it was supposed to be realsed in 2000, but got delayed, and was released in 2002-03 (don't remember) The game is completely perfect - never seen a game like it before. it had awesome graphics, superb gameplay, and immersive sound- you could go on playing for hours without getting tired. and it was never ending - you could go on playing all your life and not finish the game. the thing which irks me is the low key it received - i though it would create a rage in the gaming world, but it passed off quite silently. I don't understand this kind of biasing - where games like doom 3 receive too much attention, but the ones really worth it are pushed aside.

If you think i'm crazy comparing it with doom 3 - download the demo from https://www.freelancer.com/ and you'll come to know that even after 4 years, this game still rules the roost. the only game which has come in comparision till now is GTA, but that is another thing.

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

Ahhh Freelancer. I love how it can be as intense or casual as you want it to be really. You could fly for hours and not get bored, and i did. I used to love flying from Toyko to Manhatten on trade runs.The various mods gave pretty much endless replay value as well, new ships and enemies, weapons and more.I may give it a go again now that I am reminded.

I've had my eye on it for awhile... Now I'm going to have to try it :blink: The one problem I think I would have with it is, as you just said, it has no end? It would be fun for awhile, but I think I'd get bored of it eventually. Games, to me, can't be too big, or too small. If it's too big, you get overwhelmed and end up biting off more than you can chew ( I can recall having at least a dozen side-quests active at once in Morrowind, I got to the point where I said "Screw this, I'm not getting any closer to beating it" and uninstalled it. Haven't played it since ). And games that are too small or that don't have long play time get shelved quickly never to be played again.A game like GTA is good, because you have the main plot you can follow, that has a definite "Ending," and then you have the freedom to just run around. Shadow of Destiny was good in length too, though the cinematics are often criticized as being entirely too long :P Now, something like Red Faction 2, that game had potential, but it lacked in those two fundamental areas: it was too short, (I beat it the night I got it), and it had no replay value. Well, it did have those easter egg type things that unlocked concept art, but I didn't feel it was worth my time to replay the game a dozen times or whatever.But, sorry for digressing, I will look into Freelancer. If it's anything like Independence War 2 (which is also slightly too big, and I actually got stuck because there was a point in which there was no way to advance the plot) it should be good. B)

Freelancer is one of the games i played a lot. Specialy over the internet. I even bought a second copy so me and my brother both could play online :)I loved multiplayer. Only when i started a server myself and i could give myself detroyers and stuff i stopped playing. :)

I played the demo of this game. It was very good! I found it very similar to the mech warrior series. I would seriously consider buying this game. thanks for the introduction guys : ) I had never heard of this game until you all mentioned it.-hans

I tried to play the demo. But I don't think it works with my graphics card. I've got a geforce4 on board and I get a whole lot of crazy polygons in the game along with the voices.

Freelancer:How do I set up Internet gaming for Freelancer.

Freelancer: The Forgotten Game

I am an avid fan and long time lover of space adventure games. Freelancer is the best I have seen so far, bering the age ... Ha ha...' however I have reciently got a laptop and tried to connect to Frelancer server, I can only create a LAN server, no internet server available. What am I doing wrong.

I would love to play on line with other crazy people, I can't be the only NUTTER in Basildon, Essex, UK.

Hope to hear from someone out there...

Kind regards

Ian Rosario

Freelancer:Ian Ship:Drone Level:22 in Liberty Space (Newyork)

-reply by Ian Rosario

I bought the game really cheap a few months ago and I played it for a week and then stoped for no reason and haven't touched since. I liked it and you could basically do what you want. All I remember was landing at random places and attacking random ships lol. I'll probably start playing it again when I get bored of the games I'm playing now. It really a shame that this game didn't get notice much by the gaming community. It was just passed by. Good game though and would recommend any one thats in to open ended games to get this.

Ahh, Freelancer with me feet on the sub!Freelancer: The Forgotten Game

Yep, still remember playing this with mates online (well, my only 2 mates) and resting my feet on the sub woofer as I was playing (it was like the feelies, a la Huxley) and just so immersive playing other online players.  Class - just don't understand why M$ ditched it.  All the online servers now seem to have gone too.  Real shame.

-reply by nibs

setiing up an iternet serverFreelancer: The Forgotten Game

hi all I've  been playing Freelancer for a long time now and I cant seem to get it to connect to the net and I want to play it with my dad and sister and we cant play it together on a lan connection cuz we are not in the same house so I was hoping that wome one could help me figure out how to get it set up for online play if anyone knows how to do so please let me know

-reply by Drake

Vesko - A Freelancer mod playerFreelancer: The Forgotten Game

Where did you get the idea that there are no online servers anymore? Yes, M$ took the global server down a few months ago, but you can still see most of the servers with the Global Server Workaround. I myself play on the Tekagi's Treasure mod/server, and I haven't had any less fun playing it since I went and destroyed all of the Nomads in the storyline. 

I would personally recommend this game, and TT to every real old-school PC gamer out there.

-reply by Vesko