xisto Community
crs_cwiz1405241504

Video Card Battle: ATI vs. N-Vidia time to revive the old battle

Well, for some time i thought that ati had the lead with their cards, but suddenly nvidia seems to have demolished ati with their sli interface and the new geforce 7800 gtx card. so the question is: which card i the best - ati or nvidia??I vote for nvidia.

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

I have always favored nVidia graphics cards. The way they market their product is more toward gaming. I had a GeForce 4 TI 4400 which was bought maybe 3 years ago and has run every game I have had up until I tried it with Battlefield 2. Even then, I'm sure it could but it just doesn't support DirectX 9 Pixel Shaders. As for ATI, I feel they market their product more toward the all around use. By this I mean that I've seen ATI have advertisements for people who do video, image or even 3D animation as well as the gaming community. Also, they have their All-in-Wonder cards which is a nice package. Now that I'm getting older, I find I don't play games as much and as a result, I am using an ATI x300 Mobility in my laptop. The choice is personal preference but if by best you mean gaming performance, I'd say nVidia.

Im a faithful follower of ATi, Ive used ATi for about 8/9 years, and I havent ever had a compatability issue or problem with them, they give me quality and performance every time and the only nVidia card I have ever had, didnt work as fast as it should have. I like Ati a lot more.

One vote to the nvidiaMaybe you should set a poll (Like someone did with a PS3 vs XBox 360)I have used a NVidia GeForce MX 440 and had gave me great reasults, there are few games I couldn't play, but not of the NVidia, because my machine is getting older and don't have the needed memory and processor speed they requires.But for all other games, it's really great. Even it has drivers for use its full capabilities under linux (really don't know about if ATI has support for linux), I've played Quake III Arena uner linux, and seems to be no difference with windows...

my old laptop had an ati...it was an older card and being in a laptop, it wasnt that great. most of my friends use nvidia and they love them. and recently i started upgrading one of my old desktops for a gaming computer. and i bought a cheap nivida geforce 5200 fx with 128mb for only 65 bucks on tiger direct. the thing is awesome, i can run hl2 at full and it only lags once in a while (not even around water). then i upgraded my ram to 512 so i installed doom3 and it can run at pretty high graphics (not full - more like medium) and it wont lag at all. i love this card, and it only cost me 65 bucks. and yeah i know i coulda gotten a 5500 for only 15 bucks more...but i have money issues (like most of us...right?)...i installed all of my games right away after i got it too, to see how good they all run on the system now...all of them look soo much better and run soo much faster. i love it !i chalk one up for good old nivida

Personally I'm currently Ati but I mean both have great cards now. Back in the day Ati's gaming cards weren't amazing but nowadays frankly they are neck and neck, and whether you buy ati or the nvidia equiv they will be within a few percent of each others performance usually.The most recent nvidia card is raping the competition simply because its the newest. Once Ati releases the next wave it'll even out again, or they'll be in the lead, who knows. Frankly I'm happy with either company right now so I vote both...but if I had to choose one I'd choose aTi, nvidia used to be my fav but ati won me over when nvidia was releasing all those mediocre huge (physically huge) cards. They quickly recovered but while ati has gone from a humble beginning to high quality, I got the impression nvidia dropped the ball cause they got cocky for a bit. Obviously both are at their peak games now and hopefully it'll stay that way as we can onoly benefit from such a thing.

They're basically the same both speed and features-wise. Either company's products are a goo purchase, although I would reccomend nVidia if you're planning to use Linux as they actually bother to write Linux drivers rather than put out untested ****.

I dont think theres much difference, as both are pretty simmilar. In my opinion, graphics doesnt really matter, just stick to the ones ur computer came with :)unless you're a hardcore gamer, then a nice graphics card would suit you :P

I have an xfx 7800gtx nVidia card in my machine, and this thing runs super fast. I have not had any problems yet, I have tested it with quite a few games and it is superb! I have always been more for nVidia cards than Ati. My machine is setup with a dual boot with fedora linux, so the fact that nVidia releases drivers is really neat. Although one update not long ago phreaked out... But that was easily fixed. Eventually I might upgrade to sLi but for the time being, this card is fast enough for anything I need. What do people think about the new "crossfire" setup that ati is releasing? As far as I know, it is similar to sLi but nowhere near as good. Any thoughts? Oh yeah, my vote is with nVidia all the way! :)

well.. there was a time when Nvidia was waaay over Ati, but now there's a change of the leader each 3-4 months, because when a new generation of an nvidia card comes up, it becomes the best, but when the new generation of an ATI card comes up IT becomes the best and so on ! i don't have a favorite, i buy the card that suits me the most at the moment, and the las time it was a Nvidia 6600 card from Leadtek !Anyway, the battle between this two giants : Nvidia and Ati is only for the best of us, the user !

for the low range I'd go for ATI, more bang for the bucks. But then (from the 6600GT's) nVidia takes the lead for me, all the way up to the 7800-series, espacialy in SLI.Tough, the new ATI's seem to be very powerfull, but they are still way behind with Crossfire (not that I have to money to get me an SLI/Crossfire setup, but still ...).

In a situation like this, you have to consider who has been consistantly better for the longest time. Who would that be?Why ATI of coarse. Over the long haul they have the bettertrack record.The last 5 or 6 years ATI has consistantly been the leader.They get beat out by Nvidia from time to time, but then theyput out a newer card and take the lead again.So I gotta vote for ATI.ViriiGuy

oooo, the great vieo card rivals, ATI and NVidia. hmmmm which to choose.

to start out with ATI i believe have the best attributes for gaming such as first person shooters and the like.

however, if you want to go with video editing, or watching cinematics, video clips or dvd's, and running a dual monitor (how to connect a dual monitor) NVidia is def. the way to go.

thanks,
-matt

Personally I could care less between between ATi or Nvidia these days. For what I need, either card will generally do well. Also note that I use Macs. Generally we've always gone with the ATI cards over Nvidia unless of some technical reason (like the new 30" display requires a Nvidia card). We've never had any issues with the video cards. ATI drivers have always been good on Mac OS X, so I can't complain. On the PC side, ATi has for years produced the best hardware, but crap drivers. Used to have to wait six months for decent drivers for Windows to be released. Also Ati and some AMD mobo chipsets (VIA in particular) don't like to get along with each other.