xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Logan Deathbringer

Switching From Fp To Dreamweaver Easiest way to switch a FP site to DW?

Ok heres my problem, I would like to switch my site from being a Frontpage site to a more flexable Dreamweaver site. I'm ready to give up my training wheels and move on to the real deal but my problem is that I don't know how to go about it without trashing all the work I've put into my site.I'm willing to trash it and start from the ground up, though I'll do it grudingly, but if anyone knows how I can do it with the least amount of loss of functionality and rework I'd be greatly appreciate it.

I don't quite know what you mean by converting it from a FrontPage site to a Dreamweaver site... As far as I see, you have websites, and they can be made with FrontPage, Dreamweaver or something else. But they are not "FrontPage sites" or "Dreamweaver sites", because they are a site foremost and after that comes whichever program they were made with. It's like "albinos" - they are firstly a person, and after that comes the albinism. If you mean getting rid of all the junk code FrontPage spoofs into your html, you can try dreamweaver's "clean up coding" option, but that usually doesn't do much and you really need to do it by hand. If you mean opening your site with dreamweaver, just go to File -> New Site or something like that.. When you open up Dreamweaver there should be somewhere a module that says site. Click on new and fill in the information... And then you have a "Dreamweaver site" instead of a "FrontPage site".

Sorry about the confusion created by my being less then clear. I want to take a site that I made with Frontpage, using FP extenstion for its prebuilt forms, and switch to Dreamweaver. I guess the question I should have asked is this. Will Dreamweaver play nice with a site that is running FrontPage Extensions or will it have problems with the site if they are active?

It most likely will have a problem.. Because as far as I know dreamweaver can't run front page extensions. I haven't worked much with Front Page before, but I'm assuming .fp files are just used like .psd files are used in Photoshop - for ease of edit in the "home program" and can't really be used elsewhere. So what I would recommend is saving everything as .htm and then loading all that up into Dreamweaver. And also as far as I know, Dreamweaver doesn't have its own extension, so there's no problem of converting it to a Dreamweaver format.

Can you zip your site, or tar.gz (tugzip.com) and then upload it using FTP, or anywhere you choose and ill have a look at it. If its simple enough, ill quickly run through it in context and clean the code if I can.

I don't think that there is a way to do what you want to do. But I could be wrong. Personally I don't like using FrontPage or creating a website in one program and then switch to another. SO I think that the only way to do what you want is to start over. (That is what I would do)

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. Was installing and modding SMF, and learning a bit about PHP and SSI so my time was being pretty well eat'n up. I was able to figure out how to work with Dreamweaver with the site, just came to the conclusion that if I didn't want to trash everything I've done up till now was that I'm going to have to do alot of coding by hand and figuring out how FP creats codes and forms so that I can keep my existing site updated till I can really get a new one rolled out.