xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
bgoins12

Mac Os 9.2 Help

Ok, here is my question. I have a Imac 333 and I installed os 9.2 on it. I went to get online with my high speed connection via ethernet and it is really slow. Can anyone tell me why? It only has 32 megs of ram.

EveryMac has the specs for your iMac. It looks like a standard ethernet. Are you sure the cables is in good working order? Often the least thought about solution is the easiest one.

I'd call the company you have internet with or check their website for some trouble shooting.

More ram couldn't hurt. Mac OS 9 really needs more than 32 installed.

yup, if you have only 32 MB of ram, pages with lot's of pictures could load really slow.... try to call your internet provider as Brian said, or at least try to get more RAM.

The RAM itself shouldn't be the issue. IE5 is a dog on OS9, but the DL manager just streams files down at raw speeds, so it shouldn't be affected. Are you talking about viewing pages being slow, or actual download speed issues?I'd just recommend going online (eBay or store) and purchasing some RAM regardless of your ethernet issue. I just came into posession of an old iMac 233mhz and a few PowerBooks, and the first thing I did was buy some RAM for one of the PBs, pull some RAM out of another, and plop the pulled RAM into the iMac. Speaking of which, you'll be wanting a SO-DIMM PC-66 chip (I believe that it should also be unregistered, but not quite sure). Actually installing the RAM seems like a scary task, but I managed to do it fine after looking online at Apple Support. The uber-neat thing is that they actually have videos showing the process, so if the manual seems foreign, view the video. All you need for the upgrade is a Std. philips (a #0 isn't necessary, but there's one small screw that can give you trouble if your philips is too large, so have both if you can). Then it's just a matter of pulling the main board out, taking the cage off, putting the new ram in, and putting everything back together. Very simple.Don't expect the RAM to do a miracle job and make it run like a G4/G5. Heck, I have OS X.2 running on the 233 right now with only 96 mb of RAM, and it's usable. Not fast, but usable.

Ok, here is my question. I have a Imac  333 and I installed os 9.2 on it. I went to get online with my high speed connection via ethernet and it is really slow. Can anyone tell me why? It only has 32 megs of ram.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't done a tremendous amount of work with OS 9 but I can give you a couple of hints. It's unlikely that your Ram is causing this. Even with the little ram that you have, the speed at which your connection will pull the images ought to be slower. It could be that your internet is having problems.

If you go to here: http://www.bandwidthplace.com/ you ought to be able to see your internet speed.

hi,i've used a iMac with 233 mhz for many years and for some time one with 333mhz too.the sites DO load fast, but it takes an awful long time (in every browser, but MSIE is fastest) to render the site, so you can actually see it. you can easily get MB per second speed if you just download something, but if it is a site your mac will choke because it is too slow. I think I hardly noticed the change from ISDN till ADSL on my iMac (when viewing websites). You should not invest in a really-xxx-highspeed connection, because you can't make a use of it.good luck,Ruben

iMac 500MHz/256 mb/Power PCG3

Mac Os 9.2

Hi, I have never used a mac before and know nothing about them. I have 9.2 os installed but want to know if the system can handle a higher os and if so how high can I go...Also...What basic software do you suggest for any mac user? I have tried to download several browers with no luck because of the dmg format? Any suggestions? Please help! Thanks!

-allison

Os 9.2 is not good for web surfing. It's too slow in most website today.If u want to enjoy web surfing, maybe u should use osx.Maybe Imac is enough to use osx. I'm using osx on my clamshell(g3 300mhz, 128mb ram)

It may be able to run OS X, but it won't be able to run 10.3 or 10.4, which is what you want in today's standard since people have already dropped software support for things earlier than 10.3. It's time for an upgrade if you're still using a G3 chip.xboxrulz

can a g-3 be up to date ?Mac Os 9.2

nephew gave me a mac b&w g-3 with os9.2 and programs already loaded ,with monitor and wireless mouse and key board not hooked up yet to web,it's in daughters room she likes it for pic's and stuff ,is this worthy of further upgrades? I like the unit s gizmo factor and design,I am not pc savvy now but have picked up some info to hot rod this set up is it worth it ? the cheap factors a lot in this and we don't use it for games just graphic and web searches ebay etc.