xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
BlackWolfX

Disabling Firewall On A Wireless Broadband Router

I have a Linksys Model WRT54G Wireless Broadband Router attached to my Comcast Cable box and I wanted to know if anyone knows how to disable the firewall on it so that I am able to host things such as games or other things where people need to be able to join you. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Depending the router, adjust the port forwarding or port triggering.You must set it to allow certain ports, depending on the video game.You can find this out by doing a simple internet search.This may not work, but it probably will.Chances are you need to allow ports for each computer to though.Sp2 (Windows service pack 2) blocks every single port with their damned firewall, so you'll have to disable that :).Edit: Also, since this is a lan game. Make sure the right tcp/ip protocols are working on all computers.

From my personal experience, I have always had to just configure port forwarding to be able to do things such as host games. One good site I found was PortForward.com. After clicking on the link, near the top will be a navigation menu that says "Common Ports" then scroll down to find the application you're having problems with. Click the corresponding application and then select the router you have and follow the directions on screen. The instructions are step-by-step and easy to follow. The only trouble you may have is if your application isn't listed and then your best bet would be to google it.

Hi I have the Linksys WAG54G broadband Router which, im not sure, but could have the similar firmware. goto the applications and gaming tab and add the port that needs to be opened and the ip address of the machine to pass through to and you should be ok.I wouldn't just disable your firewall as you would leave all your ports open for hackers to gain access to your machine.

I have a Linksys Model WRT54G Wireless Broadband Router attached to my Comcast Cable box and I wanted to know if anyone knows how to disable the firewall on it so that I am able to host things such as games or other things where people need to be able to join you. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Linksys suport page......it did the trick for me...

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Disabling your firewall is not a good idea! I go with everyone else, just forward the ports you need! If you are using the Internet while hosting games - disabling the firewall is not the way to go!

He is not asking whether is it good or bad to turn the firewall off.. He already knows the consequences of what he is trying to do.. Why don't you just post the instructions here?-reply by Dwight

disable firewallDisabling Firewall On A Wireless Broadband Router

I also have the Linksys WRE54G Wireless-G Range Expander and would know how to disable a  Dlink DIR 655 firewall so the Expander can be configured.  No need to tell us about the danger just tell us how to disable the firewall as instructed by Linksys. 

-reply by gseven0

Please speak English!!Disabling Firewall On A Wireless Broadband Router

Sorry but I'm just a teenager who wants to play on his xbox online and doesn't have a clue why it isn't working. PLEASE can someone explain to me in simple terms what I need to do. 

I have a bt home hub and when I tried to play a game a message appeared telling me to check my firewall settings as it may be causing connection issues. I just typed into google how to fix this and this is where I got to, can someone please help me I'm sooo confuesed and pissed off. Thanks =)

-reply by iamannoyed