xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kaputnik

Play .avi Files In Redhat Need help in installing divX codecs...

The last few days have been spent in trying to get .avi files (Previously encoded using DivX codecs in Windows). I've a collection of movies that I've backed up as .avi files and I'm out of options trying one thing after another.

So far: I have installed Helix player & Real Player; I have the DivX4Linux files but do not know how to install these (unlike configuring and 'make install' since there is no configure file and there are not instructions either).

Also, Xine player (Xine-UI) which I've finally got working plays VCDs DVDs and Audio CD's but does not play my other media files. !!??!! Need a bit of guidance here too.

I'm using Redhat 9 with KDE desktop.

I really would appreaciate some hand holding here. thanks...

ive seen all kinds of crazy formats beeing named as *.avi.

run the command

file /path/to/your/film.avi

I use both Xine and Mplayer (design7/news.html) and they play divX files fine.

you will probably find that some closed source propriatry stuff is in there.
In which case you will need the windows codecs (win32codecs) which can be downloaded from the mplayer homepage.

Linux has its own open source DivX codcs, which may work better than the closed versions.

Anyways, post the file output from the code section above.

Actually xine as it's included with all the major distros is severly crippled. In some countries DivX is covered by evil little things called software patents. In order to avoid problems, most distros make special crippled versions that can't play "patented" files. In order to play divx/xvid/dvd (and these days, for some distros, even mp3) you need to compile the media player from the source. It's not that hard to do. Just google to find the official site and follow instructions.

Ahh yes, good point.I always compile my software from source (goooo gentoo).I assume you installed from a pre-compiled binary package ?Redhat are famous for doing thins like removing mp3 support from media players.

ive seen all kinds of crazy formats beeing named as *.avi.

run the command

file /path/to/your/film.avi

I use both Xine and Mplayer (design7/news.html) and they play divX files fine.

you will probably find that some closed source propriatry stuff is in there.

In which case you will need the windows codecs (win32codecs) which can be downloaded from the mplayer homepage.

Linux has its own open source DivX codcs, which may work better than the closed versions.

Anyways, post the file output from the code section above.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks..

I'll run the command as soon as I get home from office.. and, will also get hold of win32codecs and compile these... Really hope to get things running today...

Ahh yes, good point.

I always compile my software from source (goooo gentoo).

I assume you installed from a pre-compiled binary package ?

Redhat are famous for doing thins like removing mp3 support from media players.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No by compile - do you mean ./configure followed by 'make' and finally 'make install'; or, do you mean some other procedure I'm not yet aware off...?? So far I've been doing the ./configure followed by make and install route.

When I tried to install Kaffine it gave me some errors which I'll try and dishipher today after work... :-)

I really wanted to go with Debian or Fedora but my ISP is is through a mobile connection and the service provider only has support for Redhat...

Thanks for the inputs...

yea, thats the usual way to compile software.You will porbably need several other packages to compile mplayer yourself, for example, in addition to Xfree86, you will also need Xfree86-devel (the source code to the X server)good luck anyways, its really quite simple.i know mplayer also sipply there own RPM'sthese are probably not tampered with like the ones supplied by redhat are, maybe try those before compiling yourself.