xisto Community
atm

Drivers Using Cellphone cellphones can maximise accidents

A new study confirmed that drivers using a cellphone are more likely to cause an accident even if he uses a hand free set

"There was no safety benefit whatsoever from using a hands-free phone," said Anne McCartt, one of the authors of the study, which was published in the British Medical Journal and paid for by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
Researchers for the institute compared information on 456 crashes with driver cell-phone records and interviewed the crash victims shortly after they were treated in hospital emergency rooms.

"Our findings indicate that laws that still allow drivers to use hands-free devices will not eliminate the crash risk of phone use," said McCartt. "In fact, to the extent that drivers perceive that hand-free phone use is safer, in some sense, these laws could have a detrimental effect if drivers increase their use of hands-free phone use."

Connecticut and Chicago are the latest locales to ban cell phone use while driving unless it's hands-free.

In the study, neither gender nor age affected risk.

The study was conducted in Perth, Australia, which bans driving while using cellular phones that are not hands-free.

McCartt said she had wanted to carry out the study in the United States, but phone companies would not release customer billing records, even with a customer's consent.

Still, she said she saw no reason why the findings would not apply equally to drivers in the United States.

The Cellular Telecommunications & Internet Association, a Washington-based trade group, downplayed the findings, saying the distractions associated with mobile phones are no different from those encountered by drivers who eat or talk with passengers as they drive.

"Hands-free is a matter of convenience, a matter of comfort," said John Walls, vice president of communications for the association. He called for education and heightened awareness about any problems to driver safety that might be posed by distractions. "That's the way to change behavior," he said.

The CTIA contends that following these guidelines can minimize risk:

Assess whether a given call can wait.

Do not take notes while driving.

Do not talk while in heavy traffic.

If possible, pull off the road and park in a safe location to use a mobile phone.

The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety disagrees, maintaining that its study shows that the simple act of talking on a cell phone while at the wheel significantly raises the risk of a serious crash, and following those guidelines will not lower that risk.

Notice from jipman:

Looks to me that quotes are appropriate here

I would like to know your reaction to this new study
:P So if you have this habit maybe its time to think again

I saw that on the news. Hands free things don't help very much. People are still talking on the phone, and paying attention to what the other person's saying. They're not using as much of their concentration on the road.And is anyone here from New York? I think it said that it's now illegal to use Hand Free things while driving in New York, but I'm not sure....I was on the phone when I heard this.

Personally, I think it should be illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving,

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

in hong kong, it is illegal.

How about in other countries???

It`s illegal here in holland too.

Drivers caught doin it anyway get fined for 140 to 2000 euro`s or they can face a jail sentance of up to 2 months.\

Pesonally I think this is a good law to inforce and not only here in holland or in Hong Kong but everywhere, because many poeple die or gets injured due to this kind of behavior every single day I repeat MANY poeple EVERY day.

To poeple here who does this the only thing I wanna say is "Don`t wait untill you cause an accident of any kind to realize that what you`re doing is WRONG keep in mind that you are not the only one on or by the road" *imagin you talking on the phone to you girl/boyfriend and suddenly someone (a frikkin human being) fly thru your windshield and end up on your lap with a cracked skull just because that mushy conversation couldn`t wait* not a pretty thought huh?........Right!!

I get emotional when it comes to this subject as my Great-grandmother was killed in an accident of this kind.

Crossing the road a car stops to let her cross but a calling-driver behind the one that stopped to let her cross dodges the stopping car thinking he just prevented an accident and hits HER :P:P

So again THINK about the consequences BEFORE they actualy occur,seriously!!!!

El

unfortunatly its a very bad habit in Lebanonalthough it is illegal, this law is neglected by our govermentit caused a large number of accidents so far!

It is illegal in Slovenia (where I live in) too unless you use that hand free gadget.However I remember reading an article perhaps as long as one year ago about Iraq that mentioned its traffic regulations (since the article mentioned this American offical from Green Zone that wanted to help Iraq with improving traffic code and descibed the mess a faulty translation made) and according to it is legal to use a mobile phone while driving unless for bus and truck drivers.

I can vouch for one thing, I've gottin' into an accident while I was riding my bicycle, and talkin' on my cell phone with a handsfree device. I wasn't seriously hurt, but it does take part of your mind off the road. I understand why people want to do it, but it does add to the danger of driving (or riding).The original YB!! :)

in england handsfree kits are required by law. Normal use is illegal.but Ive still sen people doing it. I think that handfrees seem to be good enough personally but it really depends on how good the driver is. Shame there is no good grading for that. Imagin getting an A in your test!!

Talking to someone on the phone takes your concentration off the road. So does listening to the radio. So do other people in your car. So do billboards. I don't mind if people use a mobile phone in a car, as long as it's not their main priority. The road is the most important isuue. The guy on the other end isn't goin to die if you don't answer right away (at least, I presume). The biker that you don't see because you're listening to a joke might...

yes that is true. whether its a hand free set or not, it does cause accidents. You also need hearing to drive, not just your sight. N if the only thing you can hear is the person who you're talking with, then that's no good.

yea dont try to be driving and on the phone i used to think it was no thing but then i started driving and wasnt really paying too much attention to the road then i was to the phone so yea no cell within the vehicle being driven(DRIVER)

I THINK IT SHOULD BE ILLEGAL TO DO ANYTHIN OTHER THAN DRIVING WHILE u r driving unless ur calling 911 other than that it causes to many accidents and to many people die

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey chaoss, please don't shout.

But, I only use a built in cell phone system, but only for quick calls.

I would never use a handset with or without a handsfree kit.....

I'm with what the majority of you said here. It's also required to wear a headset or earphone if you want to talk and drive. I don't think they are enforcing it that strictly here in New York because I still see a few drivers doing this everytime I go out driving.I try not to use my cell phone at all when I'm driving. It really does take your mind off the road a little. Hey, I'm not saying that some can't handle doing these two things at once, but the distraction most likely will have some effect.