xisto Community
loganbest

Killing An Os By Partitioning? Is this possible?

Lets say I have a dual boot comp, One OS is WIN2000 Pro the other is WIN Server 2003. is it possible to Kill the WIN2000 Pro OS by partitioning that part of the HDD?Just thought I'd ask before I messed up my HDD.

Yes it's possible if you mess around with Master Boot Record. In other hand if you use Partition Magic or some similar software for partitionig everything should go smoothly if you choose correct parameters while partitionig. I hope this helps you out a bit :P

Absolutely. Depending on how the partitioning is handled it could easily overwrite the MBR to remove the Windows 2000 section as bootible. Or even worse, it may extend the partition table to cover the first bytes of the Windows Partition. It may also harm the Server 2003 partition.On the bright side, there are partition utilities that can partition off unused disk space on another artition safely, such as the free Partition Druid that comes with Fedora Linux, a free download. And Partition Druid can be used from the disk in windows so you don't have to install Linux.~Viz

i tried it a few times on a computer, and only once did i get a clean partition with all the files intact. i only tried 98 and XP, though, so i wouldnt know if 2000 is different.

Like finaldesign has already noted, you would do best to use a partitioning program that can work with your existing filesystems to prevent data loss. Most of these programs will have a "Resize Partition" option.

Two of these programs that immediately come to mind are Symantec Norton PartitionMagic and QtParted.