xisto Community
loganbest

Check It Out And Give Me Some Feedback

Good start on a scout site well layed out and really easy to navigate the colour scheme is good too for the earthy rustic feel except the background blue may be a bit much was that chosen for a specific reason because on firefox the bookmark and forum links are hard to see because of the blues being to close. Love the logo by the way excellent effect with the spotlight.Good work Logan. Keep it up.

He~y, this is really nice so far. I am loving the logo -- I just love how the spotlight is moving all around. ^__^ I also think the moving text, "Troop 777" is also great as it shows that you are proud of this boy scout troop; it kind of reminds me of a flag being waved back and forth, giving it a sense of pride. /grin/ But ohh!! I mostly love your main navigation panel on the left. I love how that when you move your cursor over the buttons (i.e. "Home," "Pictures," "Members," etc.), the whole button changes color! I've always wondered how is it that people do that. Do you mind me asking how you made that? ^_^ Also... oh! Very nice choice of color for the mouse-over highlight, by the way -- it's green!! This color makes that specific button/link stand out very nicely. ^_^ Another mouse-over highlight I thought looked nice was the sky blue-colored links that when you put the cursor over them, they are tan. I thought that made it stand out very well, and it was easier to read the texts too. ^_^

But... I think one thing that may be a bit disturbing to the eye is the rather bright background colored blue. Maybe, perhaps, (since you still have to use blue and tan) you can use a darker shade of blue for the background instead? I think it might help, seeing as your bright colored texts and links (in the right frame) may stand out more if there is more contrast between the texts/links (mainly the sky blue colored links) and background color. Well, this site is looking good. Keep it up! ^__^

-- scryoko

My site is actually a website I made for a non-profit Boy Scout troop that wanted a website and since I'm a big web designer where I live, I got the pleasure of making it! So Come and Check It Out!!!

P.S.  Keep in mind that it is not completely done yet. But I would like some feedback. Thanks in Advance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I know it's not quite finished yet, but you might want to make those colors a little less eye killing... First of all that BIG red text of troop777 you might want to make in flash, or just a static image, in photoshop little brushing dropshadow or something and it would look way much better, then a rest of the site is empty... Iknow it's not finished jet... but there is a lot you could fix there... anyway I see you are trying and that is a good thing, to help you started you can look how My Webpage looks to get you some ideas about it maybe... good luck! :P

....But ohh!! I mostly love your main navigation panel on the left. I love how that when you move your cursor over the buttons (i.e. "Home," "Pictures," "Members," etc.), the whole button changes color! I've always wondered how is it that people do that. Do you mind me asking how you made that? :P Also... oh! Very nice choice of color for the mouse-over highlight, by the way -- it's green!! This color makes that specific button/link stand out very nicely. :P

But... I think one thing that may be a bit disturbing to the eye is the rather bright background colored blue. Maybe, perhaps, (since you still have to use blue and tan) you can use a darker shade of blue for the background instead? I think it might help, seeing as your bright colored texts and links (in the right frame) may stand out more if there is more contrast between the texts/links (mainly the sky blue colored links) and background color. Well, this site is looking good. Keep it up! ^__^

-- scryoko

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks man, I did the nav menu in Flash, and all I did was set the mouse-over property to display a slight green box over the link with some alpha transparency added to it so that you could still tell what the link says...

I did make the background blue a little darker for all of those who were blinded :P I almost have the forum done so it might be tomorrow (friday) before I get it uploaded.

I know it's not quite finished yet, but you might want to make those colors a little less eye killing... First of all that BIG red text of troop777 you might want to make in flash, or just a static image, in photoshop little brushing dropshadow or something and it would look way much better, then a rest of the site is empty... Iknow it's not finished jet... but there is a lot you could fix there... anyway I see you are trying and that is a good thing, to help you started you can look how My Webpage looks to get you some ideas about it maybe... good luck!  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh yea I almost forgot, I'll see if I can make something cool in flash for the "BIG red text" I'll get back to ya on that... Thanks for the tip though!

Thanks man, I did the nav menu in Flash, and all I did was set the mouse-over property to display a slight green box over the link with some alpha transparency added to it so that you could still tell what the link says...

I did make the background blue a little darker for all of those who were blinded  :D I almost have the forum done so it might be tomorrow (friday) before I get it uploaded.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"Flash"? Can I ask what that is? I mean, is that a particular program or something you used to create that effect in the navigation menu? Actually, do you happen to know how to create that effect using Microsoft FrontPage? That's the webpage creating program I use... Even if creating that effect in the nav menu is in html code, do you know where I can find it? Sorry, for all these questions. I'm still trying to learn how to make better website layouts and whatnot. >_<;; However, thank you for all your help!! ^__^

-- scryoko

p.s. Oh, I can't wait to see your site on Friday. ^_^ !!

"Flash"? Can I ask what that is? I mean, is that a particular program or something you used to create that effect in the navigation menu? Actually, do you happen to know how to create that effect using Microsoft FrontPage? That's the webpage creating program I use... Even if creating that effect in the nav menu is in html code, do you know where I can find it? Sorry, for all these questions. I'm still trying to learn how to make better website layouts and whatnot. >_<;; However, thank you for all your help!! ^__^

-- scryoko

p.s. Oh, I can't wait to see your site on Friday. :P !!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes Flash is a program and a quite pricy one at that. and No there is no way you can do it with MS Frontpage, my suggestion is to learn DHTML to create dynamic Nav Menus. Another good place to look is Dynamic Drive for some free menus that you can edit to your needs and also use them as practice in learnning how to do it yourself.

Yes Flash is a program and a quite pricy one at that. and No there is no way you can do it with MS Frontpage, my suggestion is to learn DHTML to create dynamic Nav Menus. Another good place to look is Dynamic Drive for some free menus that you can edit to your needs and also use them as practice in learnning how to do it yourself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, wow! Thank you so much! I find the links very useful, especially the DHTML link. I can learn much more now... /am very pleased/ ^__^ The information and links were very helpful; I was immediately interested when I clicked on the links... ^_^Well, since I can't use MS FrontPage to do the effect on the navigation menu, now I can learn DHTML instead... ^__^

-- scryoko

OK so I have the forums up now and I have changed the background to be a little darker as well as changing the forum link.I am currently working on the Shopping Cart for the T-Shirt sales. When I do get it up it will not be ready to order anything until I get all possible information from this BSA Troop about the products they want to sell.After the Shopping Cart is up I will soon begin working on the Pictures section (which might be in Flash). It might take me until next Friday to do everything.

The sound that I hear when I mouse over the navigation is kind of annoying. I like to listen to music while browsing on sites, so it is disruptive to my experience. Nothing else is wrong with the navigation. It looks fine. The calendar looks messed up for me (I use firefox) and it is also slow to scroll. I see that you like to use frames also. I used to use frames, but then I heard people talk about php. I think asta supports php (I'm not sure) and if it does then you should learn php, because it's more better than frames for sure.The troop logo with the spotlight is a great attribute. You must have flash, so you should also do something with the troop 777 logo with flash. Get rid of the blue background too; my eyeballs don't like it. What you could put at home are updates or new events. I see shirts on the navigation and I assume that you are selling them, so maybe you could call it a store and sell other products. Sell stuff like hats, or mugs. I'm sure scout hats would be cute. The troop 777 logo in the top of the forums needs to be anti-aliased or smoothed around the edges. There's no forums button on the navigation, so I advice you add that.I am aware that you are still working on the website, so that's why I suggested this stuff. I hope you are successful with this site, and if you're not then at least you gained more knowledge about making a website.

Hm.. yes, I have to admit too, the sound heard when the cursor is placed over the buttons is a bit annoying. At first, I thought it was pretty cool, after a while, it started to get a bit irritating. >.<;; But, um, I noticed that on my browser (I used Firefox), the "Troop 777" text at the top of the right frame (with the blue background) is much too high up. Perhaps you can bring that down some? At least enough pixels where there can be space above the text? I think it will look better that way. Also... well, when I first clicked on the link to your site, I saw how you changed the appearance of "Troop 777" and I thought it looked better actually. But then when I clicked on the "Members" button (on the left panel) and saw the big bold, green-glowing "Members" text... I thought, wow, that looks really, really nice. One is because the black and the bright green mesh together really well; two is the fact that it actually looks more 3-D than the title of your website (the "Troop 777" text above it); three, the fact that there is movement in the green glow (and the way the movement is with how it begins from a fading, faint green to one that bursts out at you... that definitely attracts your attention. So I was thinking... that if your "Troop 777" text was like this, it would look totally awesome. It's eye-catching and it looks really nice. But hm... maybe if you couldn't use black and green (because it is going to be on the front page of your site), perhaps two other colors that will mesh well, as well as fit to the boy scouts colors? Hm... I think the red and green will work, but perhaps a slightly darker shade of red? I'm not so sure, but if you take my suggestion, maybe you can try the colors out and see which one works best. I hope this helps!

Best of luck,

-- scryoko

Hm.. yes, I have to admit too, the sound heard when the cursor is placed over the buttons is a bit annoying. At first, I thought it was pretty cool, after a while, it started to get a bit irritating. >.<;; But, um, I noticed that on my browser (I used Firefox), the "Troop 777" text at the top of the right frame (with the blue background) is much too high up. Perhaps you can bring that down some? At least enough pixels where there can be space above the text? I think it will look better that way. Also... well, when I first clicked on the link to your site, I saw how you changed the appearance of "Troop 777" and I thought it looked better actually. But then when I clicked on the "Members" button (on the left panel) and saw the big bold, green-glowing "Members" text... I thought, wow, that looks really, really nice. One is because the black and the bright green mesh together really well; two is the fact that it actually looks more 3-D than the title of your website (the "Troop 777" text above it); three, the fact that there is movement in the green glow (and the way the movement is with how it begins from a fading, faint green to one that bursts out at you... that definitely attracts your attention. So I was thinking... that if your "Troop 777" text was like this, it would look totally awesome. It's eye-catching and it looks really nice. But hm... maybe if you couldn't use black and green (because it is going to be on the front page of your site), perhaps two other colors that will mesh well, as well as fit to the boy scouts colors? Hm... I think the red and green will work, but perhaps a slightly darker shade of red? I'm not so sure, but if you take my suggestion, maybe you can try the colors out and see which one works best. I hope this helps!

Best of luck,

-- scryoko

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you, I'll make it glow ASAP.

and for all who have applied, As soon as I get to a comp with flash on it I'll changed the NAV bar and take the sound off