xisto Community
Water Melon

Liquid Cooling Systems

I was thinking of buying a liquid cooling system for my PC sometime soon. I've heard that these are really good cooling systems, but are difficult to install if you don't know exactly what you are doing. I was wondering if it would be a worthy investment, how much i should spend on one, and what brands would be ideal.

I don't know much about brands or spending, but they are quite good cooling systems. However, I recommend only buying one if your computer is top notch and requires several fans to keep it cooled already.Most normal computers don't generaly need a liquid cooling system.This is just what I know though.Mind providing your computers specs.P.s. If you live inside a REALLY hot place, and your ac isn't that good...A liquid cooling system might be usefull to. As fans cannot get the job done in that high of temps.

What about sound? Are they noisy things? How cheap do they come? Liquid cooling systems seems like an interesting solution if it's silent. I need to have my computers on 24/7, so I have to sleep with earplugs because the fans are so noisy. I don't do that now, but it may come to that this autumn.

Good liquid cooling systems are quiet, and cool as well as up to 5 fans. However, they are more prone to breaking down than fans because in reality they are still a fledgling technology, but the better ones (which are expensive) whould be fine.~Viz

I don't know much about brands or spending, but they are quite good cooling systems.  However, I recommend only buying one if your computer is top notch and requires several fans to keep it cooled already.

Most normal computers don't generaly need a liquid cooling system.

This is just what I know though.

Mind providing your computers specs.

P.s.  If you live inside a REALLY hot place, and your ac isn't that good...A liquid cooling system might be usefull to.  As fans cannot get the job done in that high of temps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Crappy. I currently have a pre made pc because i don't have the money to build one myself right now. It's not top notch, nor is it recent. So i don't think i'll invest in a liquid cooling system until i have a decent pc.

Personally, I would avoid liquid cooling systems. They work (to some extent) but if a leak develops, you can kiss your computer goodbye. Also, I've heard stories about mold growing in the piping and causing an awful stink.

Thermaltake is one of the leading manufacturers of liquid cooling systems. I would say that a decent cooling system would cost you about $300 (including waterblock, agp and cpu cooling)

Well liquid cooling systems are not that hard to install if you buy a kit (for beginners). IMO the kits don't work as good as customized liquid cooling systems. Koolance systems are pretty good, they even have their own watercooled cases that come with everything.
http://koolance.com/

If you have the money to buy those cases, then try them out.

I was also considering going to a watercooling setup when I upgraded. I opted out of doing so because I was too scared of destroying my system and also because I found a really good silent case (antec p180) that could handle my machine. Im not sure what you are running, but i have a fairly beefy system and it runs suprisingly well on air. If you do decide to set up watercooling in your box, then make sure u run it for a few hours (at least) without the system on, then if you find any leaks, u can fix them and test again.If this causes any of you parts to become wet, then just let them dry out fully before you turn ur system on and you should be fine. As malish mentioned, the thermaltake systems do seem to be pretty good! Watercooling is still just a bit beyond me just yet.

One of my old coworkers had a system that was massivly overclocked, both the processor and GFX card, and he ran a Thermaltake Liquid system and after fixing a minor leak when it was first installed he didn't have a problem again. Just remember that after installation, as suggested before, don't power up your hardware till you have tested the cooling system.I would suggest routine maintenance of the cooling system. Make sure you change the water regularly and maybe running a bit of white vinagir through the system to keep it mold free. Also if you really want to make sure that it stays clean, use bottled water in it. That should keep any mold or any other fungus at bay.One other thing...if you really want to take the cooling to the max use a product by Royal Purple called Purple Ice Super Coolant. It is made for cars. I haven't used it in a liquid cooling system myself but from what I understand it doesn't corrod the system, though if you decide to use it I would keep an eye on your cooling hardware for awhile. My friend has been using it without any problems for about a month now.

Too true, and if you notice that the fans aren't working right then just get some caned air and use it to blow the dust outta the heat sinks and fans then take your vac with the hose attachment, and when the comp is off and cooled, use it to suck the dust outta the power supply.