xisto Community
moonwitch1405241479

Logitech Mouse + Cordless Desktop are they compatible?

This may sound like an odd question, 2 logitech products. But here's the clou.I have a 4 yr old Logitech Cordless Desktop iTouch model. This hold a keyboard and a mouse. Both are cordless and "share" the receiver (the wire of the receiver gets splitted to go to USB for the mouse (or PS/2 with a switch) and then the normal KB port. I also have a recent Logitech MX1000 Laser mouse, which connects to the USB or PS/2 port (same situation as the other mouse that came with the desktop). Now I want to use the Logitech Keyboard AND my MX1000. But will that cause any issues? Since the receiver is semi-shared. This is just the hardware section of course.However in this story, there's a software side too. Since the software is a bunch of drivers and config software for the hardware, I will stick to this post :PFor the Logitech Desktop iTouch, there is special software (named iTouch - how creative) that allows you to use the extra keys on the keyboard (such as buttons for "play", "stop", a volume controller, Favourites etc. Basically I have 9 keys to which I can assign let's say Photoshop, FF, TB etc. So that they open when I hit those keys. The mouse that came with the KB also has special software, which I don't think I'll need now :PThe MX1000 Mouse has something called "SetPoint" which allows you to again use a few extra features. Such as side to side scrolling, back browsing, forward browsing, change document (like pressing Alt+Tab in Windows)Has anyone ever left out the mouse of a "set" by Logitech to replace it with a different Logitech mouse? How did that go? Does the software packages conflict? PS. The laptop that i've been using for so long has a qwerty keyboard layout, which to me is far handier to write code, and I am used to it. But the keyboard I have for the new comp has azerty layout (Belgian Azerty to be exact). And the kb that I will use is white with dark blue while everything else of my comp is black or silver. So I am thinking about buying a qwerty edition of the Logitech Elite kb? Any advice there? Would you stick to qwerty if you were me?

Gaah, problem overload, brain dead *sound effect :kaboom* :P. Okay, now that I have no brain power, I'll tackle these miniscule bites of a problem :P.First and formost: I hate wireless in every aspect, and I mean every, but slightly less so for inernet.With that said, I'm going to tackle your problems in reverse(ish?) order.First, if you are used to a querty keyboard, I would stick with it. Querty was designed for very good reason, and it has stuck around so long because it works so well. The only substitue in my opinion for wuerty is dvorak, which is for left handed people (I think).Leaving the mouse out of the set should work, the set would simply act like the mouse is never moved. Meanwhile, Windows will look to the active mouse driver for mouse input. Since Windows is using to different drivers, and I/O software polls drivers and uses them, there should be no conflit in the various devices.Sidenote: Logitech is my favorite I/o company because they realize not eveyrone is a tech wiz. They make drivers for all platforms, and they have a great knowledge base, and each of their products does what it is supposed to, with no hidden requirements ie. in a set the whole set must be there.~Viz

Man I love wireless. All of my comps have wireless mouse and keyboards (except for my laptops, of course). I like to use Microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard w/bluetooth because I am a Technology wiz, however; The only problem that I have with wireless products is the interference between them. I have to put my wireless router away from my computer to level out all of the waves, but its not a big problem since I have 2 boosters elseware in my house.

Man I love wireless. All of my comps have wireless mouse and keyboards (except for my laptops, of course). I like to use Microsoft wireless mouse and keyboard w/bluetooth because I am a Technology wiz, however; The only problem that I have with wireless products is the interference between them. I have to put my wireless router away from my computer to level out all of the waves, but its not a big problem since I have 2 boosters elseware in my house.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

same here, the interference is a killer

about the mouse/keyboard thing, I'm not too sure, I had a wireless mouse and keyboard set for my desktop computer, and something happened with the mouse, so I asked those genuises at Best Buy and they told me that I would be better off just getting a new set, so I did. So I suppose you could switch the mouse, not too sure though