xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jet

Nasa Comet Hitting Probe

Yesterday, (July the 4th), NASA launched a probe from the space craft Deep Impact towards a comet. Even though the distance the probe had to travel from Deep Impact to Tempel 1 (the comet, which is abuot half the size of Manhattan) was roughtly 830, 000, 000 miles (or 133,571,900 kilometres), the impact was described as a "bull's eye". The probe was about 820 lb, or 372 kg, and had a copper core. It hit Tempel 1 at 23, 000 miles or 37, 014 km / hour. The force of the impact is equal to something like four and a half tons of dynamite. So far, the size of the crater caused by the probe is not known, but depending on the elements the comet is made up of it could be between the size of a stadium and a house.A good reason behind probing comets (other than learning about them) is that if a comet like Tempel 1 ever hits the earth, "they pose the threat of cataclysmic damage if they ever strike Earth," according to Dr. A'Hearn. So knowing now that we can deflect comets if one is found heading towards us is pretty reassuring ^^Sorry if that was a bit strange, I seem to remember writing a lot of "abouts" in there.. I might go to sleep soon.

Yeah, the only thing I hope is that they didn't change its direction. I don't like comets, not when they're hitting my *bottom* at least :P They said the result will be like if a little bird would crash against an Boeing 747, everybody knows it don't feel anything of it, but what if the bird flies into the engine of the 747? The results are not nice. The engine will probably blow, what I don't like when I'm in that plane.-=jeroen=-

Well, their goals are good and all, but I'm wondering: what'll happen to all the debris? Just wait, it'll join the junk that's already otu there in space and punch a hole in the ISS. :P

The only good use I can think of regarding atomic and nuclear weapons and such is to send it into space and destroy threats like comets and asteroids.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OR aliens. :P

I think this was more a test of the precision nasa has achieved. It's quite ingenious. Because with precision like this, we could really improve our landings upon other planets, and further our research to maybe even...Other galaxies.

The only good use I can think of regarding atomic and nuclear weapons and such is to send it into space and destroy threats like comets and asteroids.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there is some conflict about atomic and nuclear weapon use in space. According to law, all use of atomic and nuclear weapon or engines in space is prohibited. And that is I think soo damn stupid. It's ok to drop nuclear bombs on people (and see them suffer for 100 and more years) but it's not ok to use rockets with nuclear engines for space exploration. I could hit someone who wrote that law with large bat right into head. :P:P