xisto Community
Cassandra1405241487

Some Photos From France A little off the beaten track

Posted Image

The interior of a Neoclassical Parisian synagogue built under Napoleon's auspices, during a circumcision ceremony last October.

Posted Image

The Aître Saint-Maclou, Rouen. It's now the courtyard of an art school, which makes the decorative motifs look a little strange. During the Black Death, however, it was a cemetery, which does explain things.

Posted Image

Two relatives of mine, an Assyrian king and a Jewish queen.

The next three ladies go together. By the way, France is one of the few places where you're allowed to photograph in the major museums.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

We all know the lady on the left, but when one sees her in real life (or in marble, anyway), one understands how beautiful and different she really is.

The lady in the middle is a pretty standard Venus of Cnidus type. She's also lovely, but not like the lady from Melos.

The lady on the right is the Venus of Arles. She's an old friend of mine. The combination of her boyish hair and body and her matronly occupation (she's spinning) is interesting. I wonder who she really represents.

Whoaa... nice :P Sights and sounds of France.. do you have some more to share with us ? Your commentary is particularly appealing and makes the pictures way more interesting than they'd have been with just a simple caption :PRegards,m^e

I've got a few more, but I'm going to have to hunt them up, shrink them, crop them, whatever. Also, I'll have to decide what secrets to let out. It'll have to wait at least until tomorrow.

Here's one I just forgot to post, though.

Posted Image

The Eiffel Tower isn't really a bore; in fact, it's a very interesting building. Look at how it fascinated Chagall. We've just overdosed on the usual tourist photographs. I like this one, photographed using its own lights with a very cheap camera. The accidental blurring and increase in the color contrasts help a lot, IMHO.

Posted Image

An unusual view of the chateau at Chantilly, from the side, accross the lake. Normal people never see this side, since they approach the chateau from the main drive.

Seeing it from this side reminds one that the chateau wasn't built as a giant jewel box for a rich man, which is pretty much what's left today, but as a fortress in the middle of a lake, to make it unapproachable and impregnable. That lake saved the lives of several nobles and at least one king, if I remember right, during the French Wars of Religion.

Posted Image

Puvis de Chavannes' painting of Joan of Arc in the Pantheon. She wasn't a shepherdess, but a small businessman's daughter, and was unlikely to have walked around barefoot, but the Romantics liked to see her this way. Now her shepherdess image has captured the popular imagination, and it's hopeless to try to fix it.

I really don't like france with they do have a lot of nice art museums!nice photo comments bye the way