xisto Community
solankyno1

CDMA vs GSM Which will rule the world

Which is the technology of future :  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi, Now a days there are two different technology for mobile phones in the world. (1) CDMA -Code Division Multiple Access(2) GSM - Global System for Mobiles based upon TDMA ( Time Division Multiple Access) There are some countries where GSM is the major technology and CDMA has entered recently like India. On the other side there are some countries where CDMA is the main technoloy and GSM has entered recently like USA, Canada as far as I know.What you think about these. I mean which technology you like and why??? And which will win in the race between these two in the future.

Hi, I work in the industry and being from Europe obviously I'd have to say GSM. Technical both technologies are level pegging. Some would argue that CDMA is better quality. But to the average Joe you cant tell the difference. GSM however is a much more globally standardised technology. For this reason international roaming is excellent with GSM. There is so much international roaming in Europe therefore GSM is used 100%. However CDMA isnt as internationally accepted. Great in your own country but if you want to travel somewhere else the chances are your CDMA phone wont work.Interestly, the GSM standards group have adopted WCDMA (Wideband CDMA) as the basis for the next version of GSM (i.e 3GSM).I suppose the debate doesnt really matter as we will all be using WCDMA in 10 years time.

I can't, with any technical authority, tell you which standard will win out. But, like any other standard war, better technology doesn't always win out. Money will decide this issue. So, it begs the question, in terms of usage which continent uses cellphones more? Or, which company(ies) in what country(ies) are the most profitable in wireless telecom, and which standards do they use?

I think that in Australia GSM will win, at least in the short-term because most of the networks here are running GSM and the major network, Telstra, is removing it's CDMA technology so GSM will dominate here eventually.I use GSM myself, like many people and I believe most of Australia has access to a GSM network, although mine is sometimes non-existent.

technically it's called WCDMA, which is a 3G technology, and I'm all for 3G technology as I think we should always try to embrace new technologies.Therefore, I voted CDMA, but as I said, it's called WCDMA.In Canada, it's being introduced later this year!I can't wait!xboxrulz

Edited by xboxrulz (see edit history)

I'm going to say that TDMA/GSM/Whatever is next based on this technology tree branch will be the winner. It's really no contest as very few use WCDMA outside of north america. The First GSM phone I had was in Germany through Vodofone. Then when I got back to the states Cingular offered a dual TDMA/GSM phone. I used that for a couple years then switched to a Motoroloa V60 series GSM (I think it was the 170 or 160, I can't remember). Now I have a Razer V3 through the Cingular Go service. Why I do the monthly plan linked to my debt card just as I did before with the 2-year plans. The nice thing is if I can get a really good deal through someone else, I'll join, if I need to go to Germany for 6Months, I can just cancel my month to month with no $150 fee...it works for me...

Nationwide, we have cdma, wcdma, gsm goverage. I personally like gsm because it seems faster with txt messaging and roaming is as easy as turning on your phone in a country like australia, where Ive used it before. I have both a gsm and a cdma phone. I use my cdma during the week through Telecom (cheap sms plan) and my gsm with Vodafone on the weekend (free sms). Takes up to 10 seconds at times to send messages on the cdma network :s, other people have noticed it too.

Hi,

Now a days there are two different technology for mobile phones in the world.

(1) CDMA -Code Division Multiple Access

(2) GSM - Global System for Mobiles based upon TDMA ( Time Division

Multiple Access)

There are some countries where GSM is the major technology and CDMA has entered recently like India. On the other side there are some countries where CDMA is the main technoloy and GSM has entered recently like USA, Canada as far as I know.

What you think about these. I mean which technology you like and why??? And which will win in the race between these two in the future.

In Europe, CDMA has never existed... in fact GSM has been arround for decades. UMTS is in fact a technology used in GSM ... So therefore GSM IS the future as UMTS belongs to GSM.

You can also tell this by the fact that the latest phones in US were obsolete in Europe nearly 10 years ago..

CDMA as well as Analogue where dead many years ago.

Edited by SkalariaK (see edit history)

I work for a cellular provider in Canada and we use GSM (huge hint ;) ) were coming out with a new data network I think Verison just beat us to it called HSDPA (High Speed Data Packet Access or something) its pretty interesting double the speed of the CDMA providers network right now. With data and now video calling starting to become the norm it will all depend on data speed not call quality in my opinion.-Jordan

I'm in Tucson, AZ...and I used Verizon, then T-Mobile, then Alltel. To date, I've had the best voice and data coverage with Verizon and Alltel and the coolest, cheapest phones with T-Mobile. The problem I had with T-Mobile was that the data and voice service availability just really sucked. The service was fine...when I could find a signal...but that was rare.I would check the coverage maps before actually getting in bed with a cell carrier.

I've used both CDMA and GSM technologies in the past - and experiance counts : CDMA definitely has more voice quality! Its so noticeable, maybe I'm not the Average John then! ;) But there are Pro's and Con's about both..

In India at least, CDMA handsets do not hold a SIM card. So you can't change your handset (or its not as easy a process). I often bet with my friends and we're shuffling between our handsets, thanks to versatile SIM cards! Besides, CDMA is used for cellular as well as FWT services. In case of FWT, I think that's the best solution for quality.

But of course, GSM is an internationally accepted standard. And people tend to roam. So all odds favor it - for the compromise in quality, we would use GSM technologies in the future. I didn't agree upon that SMS taking a long time to be sent thing though! I've never seen that around! ;)

CDMA has more bandwidth hence has greater data clarity but it is not widely used worldwide.whereas GSM is used in most of the countries and it has several enhanced features like, GPRS, EDGE etc.

I work for a cellular provider in Canada and we use GSM (huge hint <_< ) were coming out with a new data network I think Verison just beat us to it called HSDPA (High Speed Data Packet Access or something) its pretty interesting double the speed of the CDMA providers network right now. With data and now video calling starting to become the norm it will all depend on data speed not call quality in my opinion.
-Jordan

You work for Rogers Communications Inc.? They are the only Canadian provider to use GSM.

xboxrulz