xisto Community
rejected

Packet Logger (vb6) Where to start?

I'm trying to program a packet editor in VB6. What it will basically do is sniff packets sent from you to the server and from the server to you. It's also going to be able to edit the packets when you receive or send them out.

I'm first starting on making a packet logger, and I'm thinking I need to use the Winsock component, but I don't know where to start with it or what to do; you could say I'm clueless.

Does anyone know where I could start?

EDIT: I've figured out what I need to do, but I'm still kind of lost and wondering why it isn't working. Here's the code that I'm connecting with, I have another form running a game that the server is sending packets to me from.
Here's the code, does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Private Sub Form_Load()Winsock.RemoteHost = ("cokestudios2.cokemusic.com")Winsock.LocalPort = 0Winsock.ListenWinsock1.RemoteHost = ("cokestudios2.cokemusic.com")Winsock1.RemotePort = 80Winsock1.ConnectEnd SubPrivate Sub Winsock_DataArrival(ByVal bytesTotal As Long)Dim data As StringWinsock.GetData dataText1.Text = data + Text1.TextEnd Sub

Are you planning on to moniter all the ports.. And Do you plans like, Capturing the packets, editing them and injecting them back :P This sounds a bit interesting :P

Are you planning on to moniter all the ports..

And Do you plans like, Capturing the packets, editing them and injecting them back :P This sounds a bit interesting :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm trying to just monitor the port that I'm connected to through the game, and yes, that's pretty much exactly what I plan to do lol. The first step for now is connecting and receiving the packets....which I'm having a hard time doing :P

EDIT: Fixed my typos

You've intrigued me and I shall do as much research o help as possible. When I get home (this Wednessday) I have a wealth of books which will probably be helpful and I shall be sure to help in any way I can. Two things though, one, would it be possible for you to share the VB file with me so I do not have to try and recreate the entire code if I need to see it all? Secondly, what applications do you see for this?~Viz

I'll be glad to give it to you, I'll PM it to you in a little bit.

Secondly, what applications do you see for this?

What do you mean?

Well, I see one appliction in the gaming area, which is probably thje one you are going to use it for, which is cheating in multiplayer games. I'm interested in if you have any other reasons for wanting to edit packets.~Viz

Sounds good, but warn me if you are playing online with me, my nick is always a variation of what it is here. I don't want to be czaught off gueard if you're using something I help you make to kill me over and over :P.~Viz

Yea me too man....This topic has definately got my attention. I will also do a little research in my millions of VB 6 books and see if I cant figure something out for you. If I have a hard time I can always check up with my dad since he's been programming for 23 years. He's sure to know something!If you dont mind could you PM the file(s) to me too so that I wont have to worry about recreating it and getting something wrong, thanks.