xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Turiddu

Powerbookies

here's another problem I've been having for a long time with my powerbook.. I keep softwares running in the background but when the powerbook closes it goes to sleep, is there anyway to keep the powerbook from sleeping while closed that way the apps will keep running.. also with the screen factor, it gets smudges and marked easily, anybody know of any good products to protect/clean the powerbook screen.. thanks

The sleep on closure ability is actually written into the kernel, so it's hard to actually change it without modifying the kernel. Fortunately, there are patches that will keep the computer awake after closing the lid. Go to versiontracker and search around, or perhaps macfixit. Be cautious though, as once you patch your kernel, you might see strange behaviors and/or your computer might not respond well to system updates (I don't know for sure, and the risk should be next to nothing, but anything is possible when modifying such a low-level part of your system).To answer your other question, iKlear is the best solution to smudging. You can buy it for about $20 at Best Buy or the Apple Store.

Actually, you don't have to patch your kernal at all. There is a program called "sleepless" I believe that will keep your powerbook from sleeping. However, its not suggested to do this, since the design assumes an open case for thermal dissipation. Which basically means running your powerbook with the lid closed will cause it to overheat if you do anything real with it.

I agree with all of the above, it's not SUGGESTED that you keep it closed when running stuff on it, what is it that prevents you from keeping the lid open when running applications?Besides all that, the most common solution to this is simply to plug in a USB mouse. It takes the powerbook out of sleep mode even when the powerbook's lid is closed. I'm not too sure whether you have to occasionally move the mouse about though, but this solution is for people who use an external monitor for the powerbook.

I believe that the powerbook needs a USB keyboard/mouse and a monitor cable attached for it to function with the lid closed. Needless to say, if you only have a mouse attached, it'll still sleep like a baby.

Now, for the overheating issue, I believe that the powerbooks can operate fine while the lid is closed. I'm assuming the reason is the metal exterior, which does a far superior job of dissipating heat compared to the traditional plastic cases. I used to have a white iBook that would practically melt my thighs, but my new Al powerbook supposedly gets "as hot" as the iBook, but feel somewhat cooler. That alone justifies my decision to upgrade. Plus, even in the Apple manual it says you can operate it fine with the lid closed, so I don't see any real potential overheating issues while doing it.

here's another problem I've been having for a long time with my powerbook.. I keep softwares running in the background but when the powerbook closes it goes to sleep, is there anyway to keep the powerbook from sleeping while closed that way the apps will keep running.. also with the screen factor, it gets smudges and marked easily, anybody know of any good products to protect/clean the powerbook screen.. thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would not recommend doing it, even if you could. You see, Apple Powerbooks release most of their heat through the keyboard. Thus, if you don't sleep the machine on close, it will overheat and destroy your display.

To Soleq, I would argue otherwise about the whole needing both a monitor and mouse issue, but then I realise there's no real way to prove this, since with the lid down how do I know whether it's sleeping or not when I plug in the mouse?

Actually, I just realised why I think the monitor is not needed. You know how the Powerbook has that snoring light at the release catch for the lid? When it goes to sleep the snoring light "snores" right? Now you can try plugging in a USB mouse and moving it around, you realise the light goes off, which technically means the powerbook is not sleeping. There you have it, proof that the powerbook only needs a USB device (that moves about) to stay awake.

Not too sure whether you'd need to continue jiggling the mouse though to keep the thing awake...

To Turiddu, without a USB mouse connected to your powerbook and it still sleeps? Possibly because you have yet to change the properties in your system preferences panel? Under Energy Saver you can change the settings for both power-supply connected and battery operated, and basically you can set the time to "never" for how long till sleep sets in. My powerbook does go to sleep when battery operated, but I bittorrent at night, so I set my settings for "never sleeping" when connected to power supply.

And for the screen, what I use is Radtech Wildeepz and ScreensavRs, I find the wildeepz extremely useful for keeping my screen away from the keyboard, though it's slightly high-priced for something I could fashion out of 3M products, but the ScreensavRs is very useful, both as something to prevent the screen and the keyboard from colliding, and for wiping the screen (it takes away grease, oil, dust and a lot of things just by wiping, I love it!). The package even comes with instructions on what to do as a first-time use if your screen has been "abused" previously, and comes with alcohol wipes and everything. After I first used it (bought it for my laptop's first birthday) my laptop screen looked like new. Serious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know if theres any cheaper substitute for it, but at the Apple Store you can get this iKlear stuff that works really well for cleaning off PB/iB screens.

Anyway, I don't know of any way to keep programs running in the background. I guess your best bet would be to fiddle around with the Energy Saver in System Prefrences and if you can get anything there to work.

To Soleq, I would argue otherwise about the whole needing both a monitor and mouse issue, but then I realise there's no real way to prove this, since with the lid down how do I know whether it's sleeping or not when I plug in the mouse?

Actually, I just realised why I think the monitor is not needed. You know how the Powerbook has that snoring light at the release catch for the lid? When it goes to sleep the snoring light "snores" right? Now you can try plugging in a USB mouse and moving it around, you realise the light goes off, which technically means the powerbook is not sleeping. There you have it, proof that the powerbook only needs a USB device (that moves about) to stay awake.

Not too sure whether you'd need to continue jiggling the mouse though to keep the thing awake...

To Turiddu, without a USB mouse connected to your powerbook and it still sleeps? Possibly because you have yet to change the properties in your system preferences panel? Under Energy Saver you can change the settings for both power-supply connected and battery operated, and basically you can set the time to "never" for how long till sleep sets in. My powerbook does go to sleep when battery operated, but I bittorrent at night, so I set my settings for "never sleeping" when connected to power supply.

And for the screen, what I use is Radtech Wildeepz and ScreensavRs, I find the wildeepz extremely useful for keeping my screen away from the keyboard, though it's slightly high-priced for something I could fashion out of 3M products, but the ScreensavRs is very useful, both as something to prevent the screen and the keyboard from colliding, and for wiping the screen (it takes away grease, oil, dust and a lot of things just by wiping, I love it!). The package even comes with instructions on what to do as a first-time use if your screen has been "abused" previously, and comes with alcohol wipes and everything. After I first used it (bought it for my laptop's first birthday) my laptop screen looked like new. Serious.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to start a "nuh uh" match, but in the manual of my shiny new PowerBook, it specifically says that both a monitor and USB device (I believe it actually says mouse) must be attached in order for it to function closed. I have even tried it, and it will not work without the mini-DVI cable attached. Ipso facto, it needs a monitor.

I will say that the PB does get quite warm if the lid is closed. I originally was looking forward to using my PB as a second desktop, but I believe I'll stick to the laptop function. Even though Apple says it's fine, I'd rather enjoy its longevity.