xisto Community
jcguy

Gmail, Yahoo! Mail, Hotmail Whos winning the battle?

Do you still remember the days when our free Hotmail and Yahoo mail inboxes were only a few megabytes? 2mb for hotmail and 4 mb for Yahoo! Mail? With the entry of Google's Gmail which offers 1 Gigabyte of free email storage space, the battle is set between all these free email providers. Who do you think is winning?I remembered that Yahoo! quickly followed up with 250mb soon after Gmail. I was using Hotmail, and I was conficent that MSN will also increase storage space. But they didn't and I switced to Gmail which now offers 2 gig. Hotmail has only recently gave out 250mb and it was only for US residents. Now Yahoo is giving 1 gig. MSN Hotmail is still slow.So who do you think is winning the email battle?

Notice from m^e:
This isn't a tutorial by any means. At least make sure your posts are heading for the right forum. Moved to Internet & Websites.
Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

I have gone over to using gmail, as hotmail iritates the hell outta me. I have more junk mail on hotmail than actual mail, and there is no way of getting rid of it. I have had my gmail account for about 5 months and have not had one bit of crap on it yet. The size of the inbox is immense and it is easy to use. So i think that gmail will come out on top in the email battle.

I really can't stand Hotmail, it's really terrible. I get so irratated by loads of people who (after offering Gmail invites to) go on about how Gmail looks horrible and Hotmail is lovely and blue - how can Hotmail look good, almost the entire screen is taken up by hideous adverts and tons of spam.Yahoo must have been so gutted, after finally managing to up thier capacity to 1GB for free users, and thinking "yeah, we can take on Gmail", Gmail more than doubles thier capacity overnight.In my opinion, Yahoo and Hotmail are always going to be inferior to Gmail. Gmail's features are so much more advanced, it is so much more powerful and generally better than all competition, Yahoo and Hotmail don't stand a chance.

msn/hotmail would have to be my favorite.. i have e-mail accounts with aol, hotmail, and yahoo.. but out of the ones you mentioned, i prefer hotmail. i have 3 accounts with them, and yahoo, i don't get much mail to check.. i don't know anyone who uses g-mail..

If Gmail still in beta, I think Yahoo! will win. But I'm still waiting dor Gmail to go public. I like the conversation style inbox. It's kind of organized. I wish Yahoo could do the same thing too. We can track all the mail which we reply and receive.

Gmail is the winner without any doubt. Its super speed, simple and easy interface, no banner ads and offcourse 2 GB space are uncomparable to any other mail provider. And it is still in Beta. I think it will improve a lot when the first version will be release in public.So Gmail all the way.

I really dont see why anyone would need so much email storage space. Filling up 1 gig with text files takes so long, you might as well have unlimited space. As for Hotmail, it took a bad hit when it got cracked a while back, allowing anyone to find out anyone elses password.

I just don't know what I gotta do with 1 Gig.I'm using Hotmail, but that's enough for me.. so I don't think I need Gmail or Yahoo! mail.And maybe Hotmail will follow Gmail and make it 2 Gig.. than I got more space..! :lol:

It's not just about the page dudes.. look at the speed .. Gmail is about 10 thousand times faster than any over mail service that I know of - except for Fastmail.fm - whose speeds are somewhat comparable to Gmail. Talk about load times with hotmail.. hehOn top of that Features - Gmail's whole concept of conversation style messages - you don't have to ever care about organizing your mails. All messages to-and-fro between you and the recipient are automatically grouped together.. unless you start off with a completely new conversation with him.Third - the Search... the famous Google search on your own mails, right from your inbox.. waahaaa.. I've never had any problems finding any of my older mails ever since..Last but not the least .. the whole concept of Labels instead of folders..and how quickly with a single click you can apply labels.. and move them to appropriate folders only when you click on the Archive link..SPAM filter - hahaa.. Hotmail & SPAM services have a special tie-up or should I say affinity.. I haven't received a single spam mail for past 8 months on Gmail... Hotmail's mailbox gets 99% filled up as soon as you create one.. all these spams start pouring in mysteriously, even though you never used that ID anywhere on the web... aha, leaves one to wonder :lol:What more do you want??? Hotmail is worthless..absolute crap.. Once gmail goes public, hotmail will just die out.. or so I wish.. hard.. with all my life.. burn in the heat of hell, hotmail.Pheww.. vented it out.. finally :lol:

Do you still remember the days when our free Hotmail and Yahoo mail inboxes were only a few megabytes? 2mb for hotmail and 4 mb for Yahoo! Mail? With the entry of Google's Gmail which offers 1 Gigabyte of free email storage space, the battle is set between all these free email providers. Who do you think is winning?

I remembered that Yahoo! quickly followed up with 250mb soon after Gmail. I was using Hotmail, and I was conficent that MSN will also increase storage space. But they didn't and I switced to Gmail which now offers 2 gig. Hotmail has only recently gave out 250mb and it was only for US residents. Now Yahoo is giving 1 gig. MSN Hotmail is still slow.

So who do you think is winning the email battle?

Notice from m^e:
This isn't a tutorial by any means. At least make sure your posts are heading for the right forum. Moved to Internet & Websites.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah, Hotmail didn't just 'recently' do it, and not just for US residents.

1. You had to be an existing user

2. If you were a new user, you had to wait like 30 days (so that people don't create multiple accounts for lots of extra space)

3. It's not just for the US. Check out http://www.mess.be/, it 'did' have some information on it and it was for the whole hotmail system

4. It wasn't recently, quite l ike half a year ago I think

Well, I 'think' Gmail will win the email battle because neither hotmail or yahoo mail said that they increase their space like every minute. Look on gmail's website.
https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&continue=
https://mail.google.com/mail/
it says that it's growing every minute(and you can see it grow, too)

While I don't think it's simply a battel of "who has the most storage offered for free" but I still think gmail will win. There interface is amazing, the spam filter works great, and the whole design concept is something I rpefer over yahoo/hotmail. Hotmail is a piece of trash IMO, they get spam too readily and the filters can't handle how much they eventually get. I had one account I rarely gave out and never used on any site and still got a hell of a lot of spam for such an obscure address. With my gmail account I sign up for stuff everywhere, and any spam that causes has been caught by the filter. I don't think a single piece has gotten thru.Gmail all the way

sincerely, from always I have used hotmail even if I did not find myself very well with the service, then I have uncovered gmail and from then the service of hotmail to me the much most reliable one has become useless gmail is a service, with the possibility to apply filters and other that renders its I use simplest and above all it concurs to reduce the Spam are three months that I use gmail and I have not never found one mail of Spam. if also it became to payment task that I would pay gladly for having a service of this quality:P

well i heard that yaho plan to upgrade its service for the free user well we will wait to see the chage so we can come to full picture