xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Darren0330

PSP Or The DS which is a better deal?

So you are in the market for a PSP, The first thing you may notice if you decide to brave the launch batch of systems is the fact that everyone is selling them for $250. So it's a $250 system, right? Kind of. Sony is losing money on each PSP sold, so instead of taking the heavy losses they suffered with the PS2 launch they've decided to try to recoup some of that money by bundling the system with a bunch of stuff that costs them next to nothing and ratchet up the price by $50. Face it: the early adopters are going to buy it anyway, so Sony has nothing to lose. Irritating? Yes. Smart business? Definitely. It just sucks to get jacked for things you may not want or need. :lol: Let's see what this "value pack" gets you. You get the unit, great. You get a set of white (just like the iPod) headphones. Okay, they're about as good as any set of bundled headphones. Meaning they're not much better than junk. You also get a sampler disc with video of other games and some of the worst music I've ever heard in my entire life. You get a soft case, which would be nice if it didn't seem to want to rub the screen completely away (I can thank this case for my first scratch. I have no clue how a soft case can scratch a system, but there you go. Value.) You also get a cleaning cloth, and a Universal Media Disk (UMD) copy of Spiderman 2 in a cardboard sleeve. Spiderman 2 is sans special features of course, due to the lower size of UMDs vs. DVDs. Sony also lists the battery pack and the AC charger as accessories you're lucky to get with your system. Thanks Sony.You also get a 32MB memory stick, which is actually nice. Not big enough for video or MP3s, but at least you can save your games from the get go. :lol: All told, it probably costs Sony about $10 to put that value pack together, and then they gouge us with it. When the value pack is dumped expect the system to be $200 flat, but right now you have no choice. If you want a PSP, you get a value pack — its Sony's own little forced bundle. :lol: I'm not happy about it, but with hardware prices going up and up for the manufacturers and consumers wanting more features, I expect this sort of thing to become more and more common. I just wish Sony gave me a choice for my bundle. I'd much rather give everything back for a bigger memory card, or have my choice of movies.

I have been looking at getting a psp over a ds, just on the fact that the ds just seems to be a fancy gba with a touch screen. The graphics look a lot better on the psp and the games seem to be a better in whole. Saying this, i probably would do what i did when i got the gba play it for a little and just go back to playing on the xbox all the time.I drive so wouldnt really play it that much, so the cheaper for me wouold be to just get a tv in the car and hook up the Xbox to it.

DS, in my opinion, is a much better deal then PSP. First off, it's $100 dollars cheaper. Secondly, PSP doesn't have any good games that I like do far. DS has a couple. Third, I hate when Sony tries to be better then Nintendo. Nintendo is one of the oldest systems out, and has the best series in the world, like Mario and Zelda. And no, Sony doesn't own the Final Fantasy series. One of them was for Gamecube. So, basically, I hate Sony and I don't want to pay $250 dollars for the PSP. I heard the battery power isn't that good anyways.

I have been looking at getting a psp over a ds, just on the fact that the ds just seems to be a fancy gba with a touch screen. The graphics look a lot better on the psp and the games seem to be a better in whole. Saying this, i probably would do what i did when i got the gba play it for a little and just go back to playing on the xbox all the time.

I drive so wouldnt really play it that much, so the cheaper for me wouold be to just get a tv in the car and hook up the Xbox to it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

not even close, maybe if you would look at the specs, you would realize that the Nintendo DS is a revolution in gaming technology, not only does it have built in WI FY (PSP has it but is is so friggen laggy, the DS's is not at all laggy) it has a lazer sensor so if you want to play with a friend in school while your in one room, they can be across the whole school and you still get wonderful connetion, no choppyness. But the DS has a wide varity of games, it is no longer a system made just for the little kids (although you can't really say pokemon is just a kiddy game because it has an extreamly intracate rpg style where there are hundreds of creatures and hundreds of attacks which leads to a game with over a billion choices for the battle, no I'm not lieing about that either, so don't try to say I am.) because the DS now has 1. Animal crossing DS which is MULTIPLAYER OVER NET, 2. Metroid DS Also multiplayer over net, 3.MARIO CART (one of nintendos most famous and the only good car game where they take a series of characters froma game series and make a mini game which is super long, if rare wasn't bought out we might still have Diddy kong Racing also and that was an awsome game.) Ds with multiplayer over net, 4. oddily enough the old nes game comes back A boy and his Blob Ds which is also multiplayer over the net (dont ask how), Megaman battle network DS (also multiplayer awsome idea, and will sell like a word that I can't say on here or I will get banned), and thats the online games that are coming out in the next 2 months! Psp's online game will be coming out in 3 months, which the game is a Twisted Metal game which isn't all that great. Also the Psp has horrible battery life compared to the DS, Psp's battery lasts about an hour and a half, the DS With the MULTIPLE SCREENS (which you would think would take more battery, and the battery packs are smaller) lasts over 24 hours (Trust me a kid at a lan party was playing mine non-stop through out the whole lan party and it never got close to running out).

Dmaster, yet again you are right about the DS being better than the PSP :lol:

The PSP is maybe a bit more expensive, but I think that you should buy the DS if you only buy it for gaming. The touch screen just give it a bit better playing expierence. The PSP is also good, but in another way. It can play DVD's and MP3's.I would buy the DS, it has better games and I don't need a MP3 player. I love the touch screen it's so a pretty way to controle yours games.-=jeroen=-

I choose the PSP because it has the better deal when you compare it. The PSP has 16.77 million colors, while the DS has only 260,000 colors. That's a big difference when you think about it. The DS has the touch pad idea, which is a pretty neat thing and is never seen in much games at all, but the PSP has the ability to play UMD movies, also play it straight out of your memory stick, which can be very cheap in saving money from buying a movie. The proccessor clock speed for the psp is Processor 1-333MHz, while the DS is at 67MHz only. That's about 5 times more almost. The good thing about the DS is that you can play Gameboy Advance games, which is a nice addition so you don't have to switch over to another system to play another type of cartiridge. The DS also lasts longer in battery life, but it's unlikely I'll be playing the PSP outside or far from an outlet really. The games on the PSP and DS are quite the same, and that they both have their own types of enjoyable ones. So I can't really say anything about the games except that it depends on itself. So if you're in for some very nice graphical games with intense gameplay, choose the PSP. If you're in for the family oriented games with the new style of a touchpad screen, the DS! I have both so I'm not reallly complaining :P

Here are now psp's yet, but i played the DS, it hink the touch screen is sometimes really anoying, and becaus i have bad vision, the big screen of the psp is a better option for me, but i'm not going to buy it, cus i don't play that much on handhelds, I'm more of the computer and the consoles.

Well, I don't have much time these days, so I'm always around a computer, or away from my house. So the DS is very handy at that time since I can play it where ever I am at with it's long batteries. When I'm home, I have the PSP and can do whatever I want on that, or I can play console games, but I've beaten all my console games, and currently waiting until December to go shopping spree with about 700 bucks :P So yeah, buy whichever is more 'con-ve-ient' for you. PSP for home, DS when your away. Or if you're the showoff type, buy a PSP and a movie everyone likes, and that'll impress them :P I think I'm the only one that bought a PSP when it came out among my friends, and one of the few who bought a DS, but it's very fun to play wifi with others, it makes the game more fun that way.

I choose the PSP because it has the better deal when you compare it.  The PSP has 16.77 million colors, while the DS has only 260,000 colors.  That's a big difference when you think about it.  The DS has the touch pad idea, which is a pretty neat thing and is never seen in much games at all, but the PSP has the ability to play UMD movies, also play it straight out of your memory stick, which can be very cheap in saving money from buying a movie.  The proccessor clock speed for the psp is Processor 1-333MHz, while the DS is at 67MHz only.  That's about 5 times more almost.  The good thing about the DS is that you can play Gameboy Advance games, which is a nice addition so you don't have to switch over to another system to play another type of cartiridge.  The DS also lasts longer in battery life, but it's unlikely I'll be playing the PSP outside or far from an outlet really.  The games on the PSP and DS are quite the same, and that they both have their own types of enjoyable ones.  So I can't really say anything about the games except that it depends on itself.  So if you're in for some very nice graphical games with intense gameplay, choose the PSP.  If you're in for the family oriented games with the new style of a touchpad screen, the DS!  I have both so I'm not reallly complaining  :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Colors? People never actually judge system by colors, nor should they. They hardley make a difference at all. The PSP, agreed, has a better hardware and stuff. However, the games are much better and the touce screen makes it new. The PSP is just a repeat of previous handhelds, nothing really noticable special. Plus, it cost too much. Gaming systems, especially handhelds, should be cheaper.

Wow, very nice summary between the two. But if I can choose between the two my choice has to be the PSP. I'm not saying the DS is a bad handheld, its just that the PSP shows much more features and a better technology than the DS.To me the DS touch screen was some sort of gimmick to get people into buying the handheld, but hey that's just my opinion.

Though I have heard bad stories about the PSP I would definitly choose it. The Ds would be a good choice too because Nintendo has had a past when it comes to making handhelds but the PSP has a lot more features to it. Plus if it breaks you call-em up and yell a little and you get a new on :P.

i also have heard some stories but i still would chosse psp over ds cuz the ds graffix sucks and the ds is to complicated tha psp graffix r the best for handheld systems rugh now and the psp has more games and it can goa ferther range then tha ds when you go head to head with a person :P

i cant believe there is a debate over this. Psp is the best no questions asked, i mean it has so many more features and hacks and all ds has is the touch screen which isnt even that awesome because it makes things more complicated. And besides in 2 years there will be a new game boy and ds will become obsolete where as the Psp will still be ahead.

Definately PSP. Eversince DS came out I was like nah, it doesn't look all that great to me anyways. I do in fact like nintendo games and all but I prefer PS games far more. DS doesn't have that much to offer anyways. PSP on the other hand its just great. I love it and I will get one soon enough. It just rocks. There is no comparison and I have enough with my gameboy advanced sp. PSP is just better in everyway.

i just depends on the games you like. i had both but gave up on the psp because i went through three and they were all defected and sony would not replace the last one for free eventhough it was still under warranty (cd popping out, disk errors, and lossing lines of video on the screen.). newer units seem to be okay now but i don't want to pay another $250. the ds has lost of good games, longer battery life, and very durable.