xisto Community
miCRoSCoPiC^eaRthLinG

New: Astahost Hosted Pages Directory Established

Hi guys,

I'm happy to announce that we've successfully implemented a Web-directory which isl soon to index all the pages hosted at Xisto by our members. This directory will contain:

Links to the all member pages (those who do not wish their pages listed has to let us know)

Links to the best (handpicked) tutorials on our forums on a wide variety of computing topics.

Links to the cool tips & tricks (software, web-design, etc.) posted in our forums.

Right now - all we've to offer are a couple of sections on Tutorials, Tips & Tricks & Personal Homepages. We'll keep adding more categories as we grow. The directory itself is searchable like google and is open for suggestions for both Categories and New Links. A couple of special features worth mentioning are:

a. Ability to rank each listed site by visitors

b. Automatic Google Page Rank display beside each listed site

c. Ability to register yourself in the directory and add/edit/maintain your own links.

Feel free to drop by and check it out at: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ - All are welcome :lol:

N.B.:As a footnote I'd like to add that those who'd listed their site in the previous thread have been automatically added to the directory listing. As for the rest, you're required to create your own listings there - and when you do so, you'll be prompted with a field called Reciprocal Link - this is the link to your page or part of your page, where we can find a link back to the Xisto forums. This link on your page should be titled: Best Free Webhosting. This is a small favour we ask of you in return.

Regards,

m^e

m^e, I like the directory, and am going to place a reciprocal link on my site. However, I wanted to inform you that as a result, I received an email from director@directory.astahost.com asking me to place a link to http://www.online.me/ on my site. I was wondering: a) is the message supposed to ask that and :lol: are we required to place that add on our site?~Viz

I agree with vizskywalker. I thought it'll be better if the reciprocal link was to Xisto, not actually to this 4ppl.com?Dunno, seriously thought it was some kind of spam right there and then... O_o.

Links to the all member pages (those who do not wish their pages listed has to let us know)

So do we need to ask to be listed or are we automatically listed? I see below a little that it says we need to link to it first.

Naah - don't worry about the reciprocal link to 4ppl - that's just bulls*** - although we'd be happy if you place a reciprocal link on your site linking back to Xisto. You can leave that reciprocal link field blank. Your pending page link will be approved whenever I visit the links database next - all pages hosted at Xisto will be approved anyways coz ultimately, the aim is to build up the most comprehensive directory of pages created by our members.

Regards,

m^e

Sweet, this directory is a cool idea. I was planning on getting a link to Xisto put up anyways since they are my host, but have been fooling around getting my SMF up and running. Was wondering though, how do I submit for listing on the new directory, and, is there a "icon/avatar/pic" that I can use for the Xisto link. I was planning on making a sticky in my forum about Xisto and was wondering if any of the admins here would like to make a contribution to it when I get to it, ya'll know more about asta here then I do and I'd love to let you make a nice big post on my forum about it.

You web page at directory.astahost.com seems to be broken whether in firefox or ie linking the page produces this message

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home/director/public_html/inc/db.inc.php on line 56

1064325045[/snapback]

same here

So do we need to ask to be listed or are we automatically listed?  I see below a little that it says we need to link to it first.

1064311497[/snapback]

Been a bit of a while since I've visited this thread, and I actually went and made a link to 4ppl.com because I thought it'd help the cause in some way.. :mellow: AND.. I've actually had friends call me up and ask what I'm getting for having that link on my index page.. lols.. will promptly redirect to Xisto.. seems a lot more logical anyhow..

You web page at directory.astahost.com seems to be broken whether in firefox or ie linking the page produces this message

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_VARIABLE in /home/director/public_html/inc/db.inc.php on line 56

1064325045[/snapback]

Thanks for bringing it to my notice. Am fixing it ASAP.

Problem fixed. Directory up and working again.

The problem appeared mysteriously - the message Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_VARIABLE usually occurs when you forget to close some paranthesis or miss out on quotes (" or ') or prematurely end quotes.

Here's what I found in a segment of the code, which is supposed to mail bug-reports automatically:

mail( $site['bug_report'], 'Error at ' . $site['dir_name'], 'Error: ' . mysql_error() . "n--nQuery: "$query"n--nPage: " . $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'] );

Notice the part "n--nQuery: "$query"n--nPage: " ?? Now PHP parses variables if they are included between double quotes thus replacing the variable with its content to give us the resultant string. Here the code seeks to parse the variable $query - and NOT the string wrapped around it. So ideally the code should have been: 'n--nQuery: "$query"n--nPage: ' - that's what I changed it to, and it all works now.

Funny thing, before I left for my long holidays - all this was working - and now this error appeared out of thin air. Wonder how ???

Anyways, all's well that ends well.. :)

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)