xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chiiyo

Browsershots Open-source browser screenshot project

I believe a lot of us find testing our sites in different browser quite the problem. There are sites that do provide screenshots of your site in different browsers, some good ones are BrowserCam and SiteVista, but these services often require payment, which might be okay for full-time working professional developers, but is not practical for hobbyists like me. Surfing around, I found Browsershots, which is an open-source, free version of such services. They have a main server and "screenshot factories" to handle the workload, and true to the open-source spirit, they encourage people to download the screenshot script and help out with some of the work. Currently they only have Linux browsers, and one Windows 98 factory, but think about it, these are the browsers that are exactly the ones that are harder to find screenshots for, especially if you do know services like iCapture are already free.

I thought this open-source project is really cool. Now if only their port of the screenshot program to Mac OS X would move faster, I feel like contributing to the cause!