xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
organicbmx

Computing Experiences At School how bad has it been for you?

what sort of experiences of "ICT" have people had at school. I've heard its not only my school.

we have never done any coding in any lessons. looking at html in dreamweaver for one lesson was the closest

it was painfully easy to view nearly all the files in the network and add new pages to the school intranet

the atual exam board classed hackers as people breaking into computer systems to casue damage

we constantly took notes on paper and did handwriting in lessons

the gcse exam was 2 hours long and took 35 to compleate

one teacher didnt know how to use and set up a scanner

they didnt use firefox because they were locked into a licence with microsoft

not such a problem but quite funny. the administrators of the system either spent their time emptying printing ques or playing unread tournament in their office over the super fast cabled school connection. :lol:

anything from anyone else? possible some good experiences?

Yeah, schools are quite limited by government and councils etc. I think. Though why they were bound to Microsoft I do not know! :lol: We played games over the network at school too, so much fun. We somtimes had problems with connections but usually it was pretty good! :lol:

heh.. pity you guys - schools at this part of the world are entirely powered by pirated software :lol: no one gives a damn about licensing stuff... lol.. i know it's nothing to laugh about - but considering how strict it is over there at your end, can't help it :lol:

A lot of problems in the US is lack of funds for the typical school's computer lab. Often the place is run by volunteers or interns who need the credit for their courses.A friend of mine was telling me about her sister-in-law who went back to college at age 55 and was kicked out of a basic computer class. Since the woman didn't know what a double-click was and a few other basics, the instructor asked her to please leave.A year later, without having had any computer classes, this same woman was offered a job as an intern in the school's computer lab. Her job? Helping others to learn how to use the computer and other available resources!Did I mention that this woman never did figure out how to use her college's web based email?Incredible!On a happy note, this woman did turn down the job. If more school systems and colleges figured out how important the computer lab and techs are, they would put more money into them.

i pretty sure the school was ties into using ie or thats what i have heard from someone who is to be trusted. this is beacsue it is a 'microsoft acadamy' or something like that where you can do further education courses to make you the best ms access user possible!!has anyone been to a school with a unix/linux network thats what i want to know. that would be so much better for the school wouldnt it - user privilages so easy - i guess is a long shot though seems unlikely.