xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
silentkarma1405241502

Dual Monitors how??

1. You need 2 monitors2. You need 2 Video cards installed in your computerWindows Will pick them up automatically you will just need to set it in the Display Properties Settings by right clicking on the desktop and selecting Properties.Once in Display Properties you will want to change the drop down to your second video card then check the box: Extend My Windows Desktop onto this Monitor.

:lol: I have heard people talking about having 2 monitors setup and they share the same desktop. When they move their mouse it can go to the other screen. How does this work exactly? Do I need any sort of extra hardware/software installed?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can either run with two seperate graphics cards...or...ati all-in-wonder graphics card line.

I'm running an ati radeon 9600 xt a-i-w, gives me dual moniters, rca output (as 2nd moniter if desired), rca input, s-vid both was same as rca, plus some cool other features =D

a-i-w 9600xt

a-i-w 9600xt specs

check otu the rest of their line of stuff if you're interested, but it is probably easier (and cheaper) if you have an extra, older, graphics card llying around that you can use and simply set it to secondary. (just so your regular card is teh one doing most of the work...as long as it's the primary display card...I think =P)

Yeh, I've seen this at someone's house, its pretty cool :lol:, both tft's as wellthis will certainly be a thing for the future.Thinking of that, I need a new monitor, stuck with a very old CRT :lol:Ed

actually, you don't need a all-in-wonder card to have dual monitors. most of the high end graphics cards these days have two outputs, usually a VGA and a DVI connector. With my 9800 pro, they gave me a DVI to VGA dongle, so I can run dual monitors with only one card.

actually, you don't need a all-in-wonder card to have dual monitors. most of the high end graphics cards these days have two outputs, usually a VGA and a DVI connector. With my 9800 pro, they gave me a DVI to VGA dongle, so I can run dual monitors with only one card.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

that's true, or if you don't have a high end card you could run to low end cards and get dual monitors as well.

All options work, all of them good, budget is the only fluxuation, and even then it's not by much, unless you have an extra graphics card from an old computer, then it doesn't cost you a dime :lol:

I also had been wondering about this. Thanks for informing me how to do this.One question though, would it be kind of screwy if you had two different graphic cards for running games? Lets say one can support the game and one can't. What would happen? Would only one of the monitors work while playing the game?Thanks

:D I have heard people talking about having 2 monitors setup and they share the same desktop. When they move their mouse it can go to the other screen. How does this work exactly? Do I need any sort of extra hardware/software installed?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't need two video cards. You need a dual head card. Matrox makes a great one. I have an older one that I have been using for about 4 years.

Most video cards today have support for dual output in some form or fashion. I am on a PowerMac and we have a dual set up 23"HD display and 17" LCD for FCP editing and Lightwave work. It is great to have the tools on one screen and then the editing area in the other. We have an ATI card in this machine and we haven't had any problems.

but hey! Most of today's video cards have classic CRT output and TV PAL/NTSC output for connecting to TV's. so if you don't have two monitors you sure can connect your TV to computer, and have a dual "monitor+tv" screen... I use this way my TV, so I can watch movies from computer on TV, like DVD and Divx... and sometimes if it's some FPS game, I game it on my TV screen too...

Matrox Rocks!

What videocard do u have now?

If you are going to have to videocards so must u choose which one that u want to use, when u are going to play games.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm still using the matrox, I think it's something like the G-500 or something. It's old but works great.