xisto Community
infamousflame

Make Your Own Search Engine? Is it possible to make your own engine?

Making a search engine would require a vast database and a very powerful processor to handle the large amounts of requests. I don't guess it'd take much hard disk space but the Processing power needed would be astronomical, weather it be one central data server or different nodes the combined Processing power would have to be very large. Unless it was a small, limited database and then I'd call it something else.

If your going to make a Search EngineYour going to need a big database engine and a fast server...Alot of brains and you have to know other languages to make other sites like german ect...Your gonna need alot of money to advertise it for a start.

You'll have to do the same as everybody else really, start from scratch with something simple and then build it up from there.It is quite possible to build a very complex and stable search engine without the need for ridiculous amounts of space and processing power (to begin with atleast).You just got to make sure you can scale it well afterwards lol.

I have seen some script on the web some time ago, I think it is not hard to get the script and start the search engine but indexing webpages needs a lot of hardware. Another issue is how do you market your search engine and benefit from it as there are som many free search engines already availible for free?But, if you make a search engine which can index and serve results for specific topic for example "golf tour search engine" maybe it can still grab a share in the market. Making general search engine and getting benefit from that is out off the question.

Your own search web site could use existing search engines, and some kind of mask or skins, with customizable features to allow the user select between one or another, even several search engines, and how It will show the data in one web page.If you are trying to create a search engine from scratch, you should begin creating your robo-spider first.

I have a problemMake Your Own Search Engine?

I have a problem I can't figure out how to connect to my database I post the script below can any one tell me whats wrong with like coding errors

mysql_connect('localhost','root','root');My_select_db('SearchEngine');$GET = mysql("Select * From keywords");While ($getrow = mysql_fetch_assoc($get)){   $keywords =$getrow['keywords'];  echo $keywords,'<br>';  }

-reply by Programer

Very interesting topic but I am really disappointed to find no post which could be really helpful. Learning to make my own search engine will be really helpful for me (and for many other webmaster like me who want to implement their own search engine into their website). There are such solutions available which discourage forming your own search engine. Services like Google custom search engine are really easy to obtain and highly customizable so people seldom go for the effort of designing their own search engine. However, I must say that If I could make my own search engine, why would I go for an ad supported engine given to me by a third party. My own search engine would really make my website look cleaner and I can use it in whatever way I want. Though the existing free services like google custom search engine are also very customizable but they still won't be able to compete with my own creation. So I would love to hear from someone about how to make my own search engine for my website.

Sphider is one search script that i know which allows meta search operations. It indexes and filters content based on custom code. I have seen some variations of that scripts that is hosted on some sites.Another thing that was usable- yahoo search boss. I am not sure if it is working anymore. As yahoo is merged with bing, i guess the boss api may not be working anymore. Duckduckgo is the search engine that uses it. The thing about search engine is that it is necessary to buid spam index and filters before bot wildely indexes everything. So it all depends on lots of coding, better hosting and diskspace and we're talking about datacenter here.

As a newbie, I have had similar questions but I will give you one simple tip from my personal experience. Before anything else, you should assess your requirements and then spend your time accordingly. And if you are really into web-development industry, then I would recommend you to learn php and mysql. Once you get command over these two things, you would be able to do most of the things you see on the web, no matter whether it is a search engine or a simple website,.