xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Trekkie101

Puppy Linux The dog, that kicks, the penguins ass

Well, firstly I would like to admit, I hate big linux distros, I hate SuSE, I hate Fedoa Core, I hate Debian and I hate slackware, and never really had a flare for Gentoo, I found out a bit later on in my Linux experience, im a small linux junkie, anything under 100MB that can power a machine, in my books is an amazing achievement and I have tried a lot of small distrabutions, such as DamnsmallLinux, Dragon, Tiny, and Puppy.Well, I tried puppy linux the first time, I wasnt very impressed, old and dated interface pretty bad all together, then I tried DamnSmall and I liked the interface until I relised, its compatable with just about nothing and its tools all have very bad text interfaces. I decided, one last time, Ill try puppy, so I went on my HD install mission, puppy created a huge problem with this and complained every few seconds about how it couldnt mount XYZ and how Grub was buggered. I finally got it installed after buring a second CD and using a spare CD drive. I went into the package manager, I was amazed, a whole list of free stuff, so I downloaded it all :lol:, then changed my window manager, changed my theme, and now I have a beautiful and brand spanking new looking interface that I love, the programs have no text interfaces and I love the look.I also downloaded Deer Park Alpha 1 today and it installed a charm. Puppy made that so easy for me too. Its a very nice distrabution, its only 60MB and it runs faster than anything on an old P Celeron, 333Mhz with 96MB ram, its rapid and boots in less than 30 seconds. On demand it loads my programs and just generally kicks *bottom*.When it boots, I calls my Windows DHCP thing, gets an IP and is again ready for the net instantly. I really love how easy it all is, networking was so easy, and thats Windows -> Linux networking, and files can be shared. I love it.If your looking for a distrabution, I really recomend, giving puppy a try.http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

I love it!

If you hate BIG linux distros then you must really hate big desktops,documentations, programming tools and the kernel source it self. Atleast Red Hat has an option to install the minimal things, its not out of the box.Any ways I also hate extra crap boxed in with commercial distros , thats why i chose gentoo , i can control every aspect of my desktop , but its still around 10 GB of stuff (including all sources , helpo docs, programming docs and ofcourse generated binaries and portage)Dam Small Linux is also nice. I would take a look at puppy linux though ..see how Dam Small Linux and PuppyLinux compete in compactness and usability.

I also think that Puppylinux is great. It's bootable from Mini-CD or USB-stick. If you use it on USB-stick, you still have enough space to store your data on the stick. I also experienced problems when I tried to install it on harddisk, but I love the "Live"-version (CD or stick), it's really fast!GreetingZ