xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ultimategamers

Hiv/ Aids Why do we only care about ourselves?

Today I found out some quite disturbing news. As we all know hiv/aids are spreading quickly in America. Funny thing is this year was supposed to be the year that America tried to break the record of how many Americans have Hiv/Aids.Sadly, we rose the numbers instead of lowering them. So our great government decided to take action. They are now going to try harder to take care of this horrible problem. Taking more abrasive action. Not that I have a problem with this at all, but I do stop and wonder, " What about Africa?"In Africa 1 in 3 people are infected with HIV. 1 IN 3!!! However the government is more concerned about us. We are one of the richest countries in the world. Don't we have a moral responsibility to others? Are we only supposed to care about ourselves?I don't know maybe it is just my own opinion. I would like to hear what others think though.

It does seem a little selfish unfortunately... but just because America is one of the rishest countries in the world it doesn't mean they are responsible for everyone else. Their own people are going to take priority over everyone else, and seeing as though they have not yet taken much action for their own problems yet, I don't see why they would jump on Africa's problems first. Maybe when the American government has put some sort of plan into action and seen that it can work, they may then try to help out other countries with their plans.Although, does anyone remember the tsumani's? When they happened, the Australian government here created a big Tsunami Appeal to raise money to help them out, and we ended up raising so many million dollars whereas the American government only donated a small fraction to the cause. Comparing the size of America to Australia, you'd think they could afford to donate a whole lot more than they did, so I guess this probably supports your idea that America does think of themselves before others (of course this is aimed at the governemt of America, not it's people.... I don't want people being offended here!) and can be a little selfish.Yeah, it is unfortunate... but what can we do about it? Not a lot :(

America is not Africa, or Australia. America is America, and the American government only has control over America. When you try to step in on the HIV/AIDS problem that they are having in Africa you do realize that it would be going in to unknown territory. Africans have different rituals and beliefs, one of the main causes of the spread of HIV/AIDS in Africa is a ritual that they do that involves cutting the body with a knofe, and they never wash this knife so when an infected person is cut everyone after that is infected as well. Also many people with HIV/AIDS are told that if the give it to someone else they get rid of it, and this has the outcome of little kids getting it and thats why there are camps in Africa dedicated to infected children. What can we do with those who are infected? We cannot kill the disease, we do not yet know how. What can America do when they have so many problems to deal with. As for the tsunami event, I can recall every school in my state collecting money for it. America is at war in the middle east and has its own expenses to pay. America is having a lot of difficulty with social security. America may be rich to some countries but is not so rich to hand money off here and there. We are struggling through some things but I will admit that are not as devastating as other countires. Also keep in mind, that if we get into Africa's business, we might be getting into another war because look what happened when we tried to help out Iraq. America turned out to be the bad guy to most American citizens but I believe that if you do not understand why our men are over there then you do not need to put your view point into the war. Sorry, I'm a proud American and I will not let someone try to insult America without knowing the facts. Guess thats what I get for being an army brat. LoL. Please keep in mind that I am not trying to attack either one of you I am just trying to inform you of some things that you might not know.

I agree with you mate... I was saying that America is responsible for America only, they are not responsible for the problems anywhere else so it's not really fair to say that they are selfish in not helping out others. On the other hand I was just giving an example of another incident that may support his argument... I never said that what they have done was wrong or right. But yeah I totally agree with your post.. and I apologise if my post seemed a little biased in some way.

It is unfair to claim that the United States has not shown adequate concern or urgency in the HIV/AIDS epidemic until recently. The truth of the matter is that literally billions of dollars have already been poured into HIV research. Although we are still far off from developing effective tools to eradicate the virus and disease, we have made dramatic progress since the virion was first isolated in the early 1980s. If I recall correctly, there was a recent article in TIME that discussed the new demographic of HIV/AIDS patients: seniors! That is, antiretroviral therapy has led to increased survival, so that HIV-infected individuals now live long enough to reach the geriatric years.I agree with the above posts that the United States cannot be "responsible" for the diseases of the world (I will not even comment about the political landscape). But if you want to talk about a disease that clearly shows that the American pharmaceutical companies are pursuing self-interests, look no further than malaria. Malaria kills more people in the world than HIV/AIDS, yet research funds funneled to this disease is miniscule in comparison to that of AIDS.

It does seem selfish, but then if you are an American citizen, the American government will try with all its might to help you. The African nations' governments can't seem to do much due to wars and poverty, so it's left to the overseas developed nations to help them.

It's not like America doesn't try to help Africa. I don't know the exact amount of money countries like America give to Africa annually to help the HIV/AIDS concern, but I'm sure it's a lot.

i agree most people only think of them selves i mean i donate a lot and i care about people. ut some poeple are so jealous because they are penny piching to get that new computer or new macintosh or somthing! if every people in te us donated 1 dollar boom! 300 million for aids and hiv studies