xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Hardy Boy

I Think D-link Di-804hv Is The Best Router

On my LAN I have 2 PCs. I networked them so I can share files and printers. Also when my dad brings home his work laptop he can plug it into the D-link, one of the few routers under $100 bucks with VPN Capability and can access his work at DSL speeds instead of the dial up junk. By the way if you dont know, VPN is called Virtual Private Networking. It is more secure and creates virtual tunnels that let only you and the remote computer get in and makes sure no backdoor trojans are on ur pc that could access the work PC.Setting it up is easy. Plug your DSL in the WAN. Then plug Computer 1 - 4 into the 1, 2, 3, & 4 places. It also has a serial port for a analog back up modem. Then visit the configeration page by typing in 192.168.0.1 into your browser and then let the wizard do the work and help you set it up.

Edited by microscopic^earthling (see edit history)

I have to admit that having a wizard is sometimes something that can be very useful to have on a piece of new and potentially hard-to-understand hardware. I love my Linksys WRT54G to death, and yet I still find that not having a wizard can result in not knowing about certain features of the router to the point of having trouble doing what needs to be done.As for Dlink itself, I have never been a huge fan of its interface. The look of the web interface is a little clumsy at times. However, as the previous poster has said, the Dlink routers get the job done just as well, if not better.I'm probably going to have to get a Dlink if I brick my WRT54G installing a random piece of Sveasoft firmware.