xisto Community
Klass

How To Force Num Lock On

For a long time my computer would never boot up with Num Lock on, or at least, it would never stay on once it hit the Windows Logon screen. I lived with it for a while just because I was lazy and didn't want to fool around with it.

But then I just made myself fix it and this is the solution if any of you want it.

Warning If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Description

Series of registry changes to control caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock.

Directions

Here is a little guru trick that often gets me brownie points around the office. Using this registry change, it is easy to set the state of the scroll lock, num lock, and caps lock keys upon bootup.

Open the registry and goto:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Keyboard

Change the value of InitialKeyboardIndicators to whichever state you wish...

0 - Indicators off

1 - Caps Lock on

2 - Num Lock on

3 - Caps Lock on and Num Lock on

4 - Scroll Lock on

5 - Caps Lock on and Scroll Lock on

6 - Num Lock on and Scroll Lock on

7 - Caps Lock on, Num Lock on, and Scroll Lock on

Close regedit.... and reboot.

ps. I have no idea where I got this from but it was not Microsoft hence why it is in quotes

It usually happens with Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2.At least that is when I noticed it, but it hadn't happened on all my machines, so it is wierd.Yes the Bios is "supposed" to tell Windows to turn it on but after Windows is booted up Bios doesn't matter as the registry takes over then.