xisto Community
wykked_dreamz

Domain Names Im a little confused

Okay, I want to buy a domain name, but I was wondering if I buy it from a place like godaddy for the 8.95/yr does that include managing it and everything. Because I don't want to buy a domain, only to find that I have to pay 29.95/mon just to use it. If anybody knows how it exactly works please let me know. I'm very serious about a domain name for one of my sites, and my other one on Xisto is going pretty well but this new site I can't depend on forum posting. Its going to be one of my less active ones. So I wanted a domain name. If that makes any sense at all. Please notify me if you can help. Thanks!

Okay thanks that's what I honestly needed to hear. I haven't been able to purchase a domain name for a while, even though I think 10 bucks a year is cheap. I now have a reliable income so I can purchase a domain name without the fear of using it. I was just asking because I saw all this stuff on godaddy asking if I would like to purchase a package and the cheapest package was 12.95/yr and the most expensive one was 34.95/yr I believe. I'm guessing the packages are for expanding what you get with your domain name such as e-mail accounts and all that other good stuff. Is that right or I'm a wrong again?

Mostly your right, some companies do allow you to do more because they provide you with services like free* email accounts instead of just the mx entry. Almost all registrars provide the ability to modify DNS settings for cheap because otherwise there is no point in having the domain. Some of the companies simply think they can get enough people who find them first and don't comparison shop so they can charge huge amounts and get away with it.*free meaning you've paid for it with registration.~Viz

I'd highly recommend GoDaddy - and if you purchase for 5 years at a time - you get it at a discounted price of around $7/year. The control panel is immensely powerful - and once you have your domain, pointing it to thr asta account is no big deal :(

They don't actually have the domain names. What the companies do is allow you to claim them by having a service to point the domain name and propogate it, then give you access. THe difference between a subdomain and a domain is simply how much you have to type in to get to the webpage.A domain, or toplevel domain, is followed by .com or .net or some other identifier. yahoo.com is an example.A sub domain is any doamin that must be appended to the toplevel, like www. http://yahoo.com/ has a subdomain of www (which is the default subdomain) and a toplevel domain of yahoo. If you go to the yahoo mailserver, it has a separate subdomain, kind of like a separate folder, of mail. So the full domain is mail.yahoo.com.~Viz

A subdomain is really a sub of a domain like the name says. The domain name service (DNS) consists of the root-level domain at the top, called a “top level domain” then the second level domain and last but not least the subdomain.Take Xisto for example: http://forums.xisto.com/is the top level domain then "yoursite.astahost.com/ is a second level which is also a sub level of the top, then subsite.yoursite.astahost.com/ final sub level.