xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
oiboy

All About Me

Well where do I start..... My journey into the realm of Asta Hosts started with me googling a free hosting provider w/PHP support online. I found a few but asta host seemed to be a good fit. I'm a Canadian teacher who is currently living in China and you guessed it, teaching english. I live in a small rural city in the middle of China. I've been here for about 2 years. It's a huge change from my fast-paced urban upbringing. There isn't that much to do here other than gamble. (mahjong) or surf the net. This city isn't very well developed though we do have a McDonald's and a KFC. What drew me to move to China was a change in lifestyle and a change it is. I find it both rewarduing and frustrating at the same time. My students are amazing, highly motivated, organized, helpful. The frustration lies in the beauracray involved in getting things done here. You need to go see 10 people to get a simple form signed. Overall though, this place has taught me the added virtue of being patient and humble. Many of the locals here survive on 1/10 my salary and are happy to take me out for luch or dinner. If any of you have a chance you should visit Central China. Avoid Bejing and Shanghai and see a real slice of life here.

That is simply awesome oiboy - I could say even I've had similar experiences staying here in Thailand (but then again I'm originally from India, where you'd find this same beauracracy 10 times over). But I completely understand you feelings and having stayed myself in some remote corners of Thailand from time to time, know exactly what you're talking about. I do plan to visit China sometime soon - as you should take a trip down to Thailand as well (if you haven't been there already)...As for the rest, Welcome to Xisto and have an enjoyable stay. On behalf of the Xisto staff I extend you a very warm welcome. :(Regards,m^e

I'm also originally from India, though I moved to Canada when I was 5 years old. What do you do in Thailand? I was in Bangkok over the past summer doing a CELTA course. LOS is a great place, lucky you!!

Ahaa nice to know :( Am working here in Thailand - running my own company Software/Networking Solutions firm. Yup - bangkok is an awesome place, but too damned polluted. I feel extremely suffocated there and cannot spend more than 3 days at a stretch there. Luckily my home+office is around 1 hour away from the main city - so a lot of clean fresh air and peace... :(