xisto Community
gunbound

Defragment: Cannot Defrag All Fragmented Files What can I do about this?

Posted Image

This is what I get after I defrag, "all files could not be defragged". I think this is slowing down my computer, so what can I do?

I have a couple movies on my hard drive that are about 700MB and 900MB. Does this have something to do with this big red area?

Thanks.

i wouldn't worry about defragmented files. it only really hurts your computer's speed if it is badly fragmented. If you think it is the movies, then try making a copy of them and deleting the original file. That will put the files in a new location and you may then be able to defrag your hard drive.

gunbound,Any type of file corruption can cause the defrag utility to fail. If you suspect the movie files (especially if you have converted them from on file format to another using a utility program) then do as no9t9 advised. If this doesn't solve the problem, then go looking for other corrupted files and any virus or malware files causing the corruption.(ie. run the anti-virus - in safe mode if possible). If you find any, then re-run your defrag after you clean your system.Hope this helpsRGPHNX

well, i think what you can try and that i know that will work, is if you have Norton System Works, then run the defragmenter that it has, it will make your computer run faster, you can usually get it for free, the ones of previous years, like in mail in rebates. Well but if you are concerened about the speed of your computer, your HDD does not have to d much with that, try getting some new memory that will definately help, or do some teaking to the OS, so it doesnt appear so fancy, it might help.

First run Scandisk and check your disk for errors. This utility would correct the file errors if any and mark unrecoverable sectors as bad.After you do this, run the defragmentor utility.The best thing if you are facing major problems would be to backup ur data on that drive and format it. If it is the drive with the OS, then make sure you backup all ur setting and some in the registry too....This should definitely speed up ur system.

You don't need to defrag your machine, just find any files that are corrupted and delete it. In my case, I can't delete any of my files because if I do my whole machine will fall apart faster (Windows side). My NTFS is corrupt :sxboxrulz

Alternatively, why dont you try and run the chkdsk and scandisk utilities in the DOS mode? There may be some corrupted potions/sectors on your harddrive and that can also cause the defrag util not to function properly.

Restart you comp and if you are using Microsoft® Windows XP or any of th previous versions, insert the boot disk and after setup finishes loading the drivers and setup files, dont and I repeat, do not format your HDD. Instead go to the recovery console and use the utils available to try to detect if your HDD has some bad/corrupted sectors in it.

If you dont know exactly what to do, type

C:\>Help

and all the utils and there various functions will be listded for you. You can then go ahead and use the ones you want but I will recommend that you use the chkdsk and the scandisk utils to first detect any bad sectors and try to recover the files in there before going ahead to try the defragmentation again.

Hope my lil info will be of much help to you.

fragmented files

Defragment: Cannot Defrag All Fragmented Files

I have tried to defrag my hard drive but it is 75% full of defraged files which can not be defraged due to my hard drive being 97% full.

-question by Andy

cant defrag properly!

Not fair 60,660 fragments cant be defragmented and my computer only has 256 ram winxp

Sucks bad really tales like 30 mins to load on start-up! seriously

-reply by dhfsdhf

Some files on this volume could not be defragmented

When I defragmenting my Hard Drive windows XP Displaying following message:

Defragmentation is complete for: (D:)

Some files on this volume could not be defragmented.

Please check the defragmentation report for the list of these files.

But when I check defragmentation report there are not any file in list.

Please advice me solve the problem.

-question by Batbaatar

.tmp filesDefragment: Cannot Defrag All Fragmented FilesCan any .Tmp file be deleted without hurting the computer? And for that matter, how about the files that can only be opened by "unknown Application"? Are they leftover files from deleted programs? Can they be deleted? I'm running a pre-owned HP with windows XP and you wouldnt believe some of the **** thats on here.-reply by MATT_SABBATH